Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finally off my arse

Options
  • 01-08-2014 11:53pm

Male, 25, 6 foot 1, somewhere under 22 stone.

Last couple of months I've sorted my diet and been doing really long walks. Tonight in the middle of my walk I timed 5k. The intention is to go out 4/5 times a week for 10k+ and do a timed 5k in the middle and work on getting that down.

What I learned tonight: When walking/jogging it's a bad idea to be "upright", shoulders back/chest out, as my shins scream at once and almost completely.

Anyway, first entry:

Total distance: 11.5k
    5k time: 50.58

Was kinda hoping to be under 50 minutes to start with but at least I've got a round benchmark that should be attainable pretty quickly. :P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Saw your other tread and that you've started a journal

Fair play, you've a great attitude to all this

Bit of a disaster tonight, tried to do more jogging than last time and it didn't help my time at all because I had to go a lot slower when walking. :P Had to stop completely a couple of times and at 3.6k I got sicked and greyed out for a few minutes. I just walked after that. :pac:
    Anyway

Total distance: 10.6k
    5k time: 53.55

Wasn't in the mood today at all but I went out anyway. Stupidly happy with my 5k time considering most non-wheelchair-bound people could probably walk 5k quicker but I feel like I earned it. Now I'm going to eat my bodyweight in tuna, corn, peppers and onions.

Total distance: 12.4k
    5k time: 49.16

Not out for a run tonight but I came across this to make sure I don't slip up.

eric_cartman_beefcake.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,564 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Not out for a run tonight but I came across this to make sure I don't slip up.

eric_cartman_beefcake.jpg

Hahahaha, love it!

• Advertisement

Hahahaha, love it!

BEEEFCAAAAAAAAAKE!

It's my birthday, had a bottle of wine, 6 cans and two chicken fillets. For me for a cheat day it's better than my usual 20 cans and a pizza. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11 airboos

Couch 2 5k is what you need. Will provide a whole lot more structure to your walk/jog/running. There are IOS and android free apps so you can listen to your music and get barked an order of when to run/walk as required.

From memory its only 3 times a week so throw in your walking days inbetween.

Its proven to work if you stick to it. Don't be disheartened if a day/week doesn't work out, just do it over and move on. Its not a race but a marathon after all! Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭swpb

I'm going to follow this thread and try beat your times. It's motivating to me but at same time no pressure as I don't know you so I don't need to be embarrassed if I fail miserably. Hope ya don't mind 😜

airboos wrote: »
    Couch 2 5k is what you need. Will provide a whole lot more structure to your walk/jog/running. There are IOS and android free apps so you can listen to your music and get barked an order of when to run/walk as required.

From memory its only 3 times a week so throw in your walking days inbetween.

Its proven to work if you stick to it. Don't be disheartened if a day/week doesn't work out, just do it over and move on. Its not a race but a marathon after all! Good luck.
    I'm a bit off the level of someone starting C25k unfortunately. 60 seconds of jogging is a bit beyond me. for now. My shins get sore roughly as quick whether I run hard or jog, so I'm pushing a bit harder than just jogging for the 15/20 seconds I can go before walking.
    swpb wrote: »
    I'm going to follow this thread and try beat your times. It's motivating to me but at same time no pressure as I don't know you so I don't need to be embarrassed if I fail miserably. Hope ya don't mind 😜
    No bother, hope I beat you to the 30 minute mark. :P

Didn't have time for the usual today. Walked 4k with about 80 lunges interspersed.
    Then 5x8 free squats and angled press-ups. Supersetted obviously because I'm just that badass.
    Then 10 minutes "high" intensity intervals.

Lovely to be out in torrential rain on a deserted road. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 airboos

I'm a bit off the level of someone starting C25k unfortunately. 60 seconds of jogging is a bit beyond me. for now. My shins get sore roughly as quick whether I run hard or jog, so I'm pushing a bit harder than just jogging for the 15/20 seconds I can go before walking.

YOU are exactly the target market of C25K. Its all about getting your head around it first and motivating yourself to get stuck in and do it. You can go over the first week (or any week for that matter) as many times as you wish.

Here is the first weeks workout:

"Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes."

Looks pretty much what you are doing at the moment.

airboos wrote: »
    YOU are exactly the target market of C25K. Its all about getting your head around it first and motivating yourself to get stuck in and do it. You can go over the first week (or any week for that matter) as many times as you wish.

Here is the first weeks workout:

"Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes."

Looks pretty much what you are doing at the moment.
    60 seconds of jogging is beyond me right now, I'm building up to that.

Yesterday: 6k walk
    Today: 8k walk plus 20 minutes run/walk and 40 lunges and squats.

6k walk with the usual squat/lunges thrown in.

Think I have the money together for a month's gym membership starting before the weekend which is nice.

**** one tonight. 5k walked today, tried running and my shins exploded straight away. Pretty sore still.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭SusanneKn

Give the jogging a rest till its healed up.
    Its annoying, but not worth making the injury worse.
    I am not sure about the route you are walking but try to throw in some hills to build up the muscle on your legs slowly but surely.

I was planning on not running tomorrow and by happy coincidence have a long walk planned tomorrow with a 100m increase in height. :)

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

fair play on keeping things progressive, hope your enjoying it, how are things in the kitchen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭roseybear

If u can, try get a foam roller for those calves, might help the shins!! u can get them everywhere these days

conzy wrote: »
    fair play on keeping things progressive, hope your enjoying it, how are things in the kitchen!
    Decent enough. Yesterday altogether I had 2 chicken fillets, 50g of cheese, 2 rashers, slice of brown bread with seeds and nuts added, couple of cocktail sausages and some frozen veg. Today I'll probably have a couple of steak burgers, frozen veg and a rasher sandwich. Again, on the low side but I don't feel like I'm denying myself anything, I'm just not hungry.

Also I managed to squeeze into a pair of jeans last night that last fit me about 4 years ago so I'm doing something right. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Next stop will be the player for arsenal jersey, mon the button

stuchyg wrote: »
    Next stop will be the player for arsenal jersey, mon the button
    I don't think I want to get *that* ripped. :pac:

14.5k today. Max altitude of 106m with half of that being on a 1 in 10 hill. Happy days.

Bit of a slip diet-wise, had 3 cans of cider. Still not bad for a Friday night I don't think. :pac:

Have had a few days off but managed no massive cheats over the weekend which I'm happy with.

Just something on a dietary note. I used to eat a lot of white bread and have switched to this stuff: http://www.burgenbread.com/breads/soya-linseed/ It seems decent enough I think. I know calories is the issue but I've managed to keep it to about 2 slices a day as opposed to 5+ of white before. :P

Brisk 5k walk today, didn't time it but it was about 55 minutes.
    Also cycled about 1k on a mountain bike on a road. I don't remember cycling being harder than walking. :pac:

Have gotten the diet pretty much bang on which is probably more important so still happy with how things are going!

9.3k today.

Feeling like I'm making progress. While walking I'm having to concentrate on keeping the pace up to get a sweat going and get my breathing going. I was able to run over 100m without getting completely out of breath, it was just my shins holding me back today. :pac: While it's still not much it feels like a lot of progress. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭ninamc

It's much, much more than you were doing a month ago. Hopefully the shins will settle (are you elevating your legs after your walk?) and you'll move onto Couch to 5K when you feel able 😄

9.3k today.

While it's still not much it feels like a lot of progress. :)

Haven't been doing any elevation, do you mean sitting/lying down or standing? Fairly clueless about this stuff. :P

I've started stretching literally morning noon and night. :pac: Groin, calves and shoulders and doing really slow squats while keeping my heels down and lunges that are hard to balance during. Never thought I'd say it but I'm actually tempted to give yoga a go at some point. :P

10k walk tonight.

The jogging/shuffle a lot easier again tonight. C25K may not be as far away as I'd thought. :)

• Advertisement

7k in an hour and 10 minutes walking.

Advertisement