Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flavoured Whey

Options
  • 01-08-2014 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭

So I've tried a few different types of whey, and the one I'm currently taking is vanilla. The thing is, though, that it tastes sweet. Crazy sweet. It only admits sucralose on the packaging but I'm finding it very very hard to believe there isn't extra sugar in there, and I hate the idea that I'm downing spoonsful of sugar every morning and night.

It's the myprotein Impact brand. They give nutritional data for the unflavoured one, and warn that the flavoured types will reduce protein content by about 3%, which is fine. I'm just very suspicious about sugar in it.

Am I being paranoid? Can anyone comment with authority?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I thought it was a thing that artificial sweetners are sweeter than sugar
    Sucralose is approximately 320 to 1,000 times as sweet as sucrose (table sugar),[5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sucralose

I'd say vanilla as a flavouring would be sweet in itself anyway on top of the sucralose, artificial vanilla can be sickly sweet when done badly

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I have unflavoured and bought flavourings separately. I add as much as I am in the mood for, which changes daily, just like my preference for diluatable orange drinks might change.

If you get unflavoured whey you can use it to "dilute down" your current stock of overly sweet stuff.

Sucralose tastes closer to sugar to me than other sweeteners I have tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Hmm, maybe it is just because sucralose is so convincing. Normally artificial sweeteners, like saccharin or aspartame just taste weird to me.

Buy some plain and mixing it down is actually a great idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Zillah wrote: »
    Normally artificial sweeteners, like saccharin or aspartame just taste weird to me.
    same here. I do not like the taste of most diet drinks.

M&S do a diet cola that used sucralose and it tasted netter to me. I think tesco also had a premium diet cola that used it. I think its more expensive so most use the cheaper ones.

In saying that coke zero is my favourite and does not use it.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

If you're really worried about it you could go with unflavoured. I actually got used to the taste of it, tastes like cream thats gone a bit off :pac:

But the flavoured variants are fine, the chocolate flavour adds a few tag along carbs and fats from the cocoa
    Please note this nutritional information is taken from the unflavoured version. When choosing a flavoured version it will reduce the protein content by approximately 3% for most flavours, however chocolate, due to the added cocoa, will reduce it by approximately 8%

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    same here. I do not like the taste of most diet drinks.

M&S do a diet cola that used sucralose and it tasted netter to me. I think tesco also had a premium diet cola that used it. I think its more expensive so most use the cheaper ones.

In saying that coke zero is my favourite and does not use it.

What does coke zero use? Something that's puzzled me.

My friends moved to Europe and one always drinks diet coke but hates the European version. He's found one of the supermarket own-brands is closer to what he wants. Amazing the variation in sweeteners that exists.

I've a sack of unflavoured whey from MyProtein and a couple of flavorings ad it's hard to put little enough in. :P I use it more often for a fruit smoothie, excellent for thickening. :P

Advertisement