Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Atheist Ireland rebrand itself?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Albeit, as you point out, Philiger suggests they are merely at the "extreme end of Irish catholic views." Just wondering what extremist views they were referring too.
    So, on the one hand you accept that you misrepresented Piliger, but on the other hand, you want people to pretend that your misrepresentation is accurate.

I'm not all that interested in continuing this line, but just pointing out that you're not debating honestly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Piliger wrote: »
    "Atheist Ireland" ?? How exactly can you possibly draw that conclusion ?

The name suggests, or could be taken to suggest, that they represent the views of atheists in Ireland - even if they make clear on their website that they don't.
    Then your comparison of the two organisations falls flat on it's face.

Why? Because AI can't get on TV shows?
    The only reason Iona has success is because they have people in RTE to push and support their views. Atheist Ireland are a grass roots organisation and as such have far more legitimacy and validity and credibility.

I think this is conspiracy theory stuff. Same kind of conspiracy theories that, for example, the newspaper Alive indulges in where it points out how the media (IT and RTE especially) are horribly biased against Catholicism and family values.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

The name suggests, or could be taken to suggest, that they represent the views of atheists in Ireland - even if they make clear on their website that they don't.
    A totally irrational assessment.
    Why? Because AI can't get on TV shows?
    100% correct.
    I think this is conspiracy theory stuff. Same kind of conspiracy theories that, for example, the newspaper Alive indulges in where it points out how the media (IT and RTE especially) are horribly biased against Catholicism and family values.
    More irrational outrage.

A totally irrational assessment.

100% correct.

More irrational outrage.

Swim Ireland
    Engineers Ireland
    Down Syndrome Ireland
    Motorsport Ireland

and so on.....

It's not unreasonable (even if it is wrong) for people to think that perhaps, just perhaps, and organisation named "Atheist Ireland" represents, or seeks to represent atheists in Ireland.

(also, I'm not outraged, just pointing out that your notion of a catholic conspiracy within RTE sounds a little fantastic)

Swim Ireland
    Engineers Ireland
    Down Syndrome Ireland
    Motorsport Ireland

and so on.....

It's not unreasonable (even if it is wrong) for people to think that perhaps, just perhaps, and organisation named "Atheist Ireland" represents, or seeks to represent atheists in Ireland.

(also, I'm not outraged, just pointing out that your notion of a catholic conspiracy within RTE sounds a little fantastic)

Where on earth do you get the idea that any of those organisations claim to represent those interests, ailments ? I find your irrationality quite perverse and weird.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Both smacl and Philiger suggest that Iona's views are extreme. Albeit, as you point out, Philiger suggests they are merely at the "extreme end of Irish catholic views." Just wondering what extremist views they were referring too. What views do they hold that mean RTE should steer clear of them?

Perhaps extreme is a bit harsh, but clearly laughable to a large number of people when you see adds like this;

sent up like this;

I'll leave it at that lest they set the dogs on me. I wouldn't dare suggest they're a discriminatory organisation for example. :pac:

Where on earth do you get the idea that any of those organisations claim to represent those interests, ailments ? I find your irrationality quite perverse and weird.
    "Swim Ireland is the governing body of swimming in Ireland."

With almost 24,000 members from every discipline of engineering, Engineers
    Ireland is the voice of the engineering profession in Ireland.

Down Syndrome Ireland is a national voluntary organisation supporting people
    with Down syndrome and their families in twenty-five branches nationwide.

Motorsport Ireland (MI) is the National Governing Body for four-wheeled
    motorsport in Ireland.

All from their respective websites, you get the picture.

What I find weird is your unwillingness to accept that people might genuinely be led to believe that Atheist Ireland seeks to represents atheists in Ireland.

smacl wrote: »
    Perhaps extreme is a bit harsh, but clearly laughable to a large number of people when you see adds like this;

I see, glad we cleared that up. Iona do not hold extreme views at all. Just views that make some people titter. Big difference there to be fair.

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

What I find weird is your unwillingness to accept that people might genuinely be led to believe that Atheist Ireland seeks to represents atheists in Ireland.
    I'm more concerned that they govern atheism in Ireland! :eek::P

If you can read this, you're too close!

I see, glad we cleared that up. Iona do not hold extreme views at all. Just views that make some people titter. Big difference there to be fair.

There ya go, apparently they're not even Catholic. How wrong was i? Just a bunch of nice un-extreme sciencey types. (Down Rusty, Bad Dog!)

• Advertisement

And Quinn's views make some people -- whom I know, lest you ask -- fearful, hateful, obnoxious, judgmental, hurtful and so on.

Your habit of misrepresenting people's views is really quite tiresome, but strangely, you seem either unaware of it (in which case, I suggest you try to become a little more self-aware), or you are aware of it, in which case you are, again, not debating honestly.

The latter amounts to trolling and is against the forum charter.

robindch wrote: »
    And Quinn's views make some people -- whom I know, lest you ask -- fearful, hateful, obnoxious, judgmental, hurtful and so on.

Your habit of misrepresenting people's views is really quite tiresome, but strangely, you seem either unaware of it (in which case, I suggest you try to become a little more self-aware), or you are aware of it, in which case you are, again, not debating honestly.

The latter amounts to trolling and is against the forum charter.

My views have been called weird and perverse on this forum, yet I get called out for engaging people when they say the Iona institute's views are extreme?

I've been, for the most part, engaging with the thread title - "should AI rebrand".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I don't think the Iona Institute's views are extreme, I think they are perfectly appropriate for an organization that fell through a wormhole from 1936.

And yet they are indeed extreme.

Yet your quotes support my assertion and undermine all of your claims.

And yet they are indeed extreme.

I'd be extremely interested to take up our debate about the need to rebrand Atheist Ireland. Did you see from my post above, how people might, in good faith, mistakenly think that Atheist Ireland is the "voice of atheism" in Ireland?

Yet your quotes support my assertion and undermine all of your claims.

How so?

I'd be extremely interested to take up our debate about the need to rebrand Atheist Ireland. Did you see from my post above, how people might, in good faith, mistakenly think that Atheist Ireland is the "voice of atheism" in Ireland?

Yes. And I described it as irrational and unmerited.

Yes. And I described it as irrational and unmerited.

So the name "Atheist Ireland" is clear and unambiguous? I am being irrational for suggesting that people may mistakenly believe AI seeks to represent all atheists in Ireland? Could you explain, for a simpleton like myself, why that is irrational?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

An organisation that works actively to deny a minority of the population the right to be seen as equals are extreme.

If RTE had a guest panelist that wanted to stop Polish people from getting married or adopting children simply because they read it in a book I would first call them idiots and then extreme.

Especially when they use the guise of "representing family values" while at the same time being apologists for an organisation that raped children. Plenty of open hypocricy from Iona.

I Heart Internet, you've been clutching at straws for the past few pages now. Maybe its time to move onto the next debate?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

It is impossible to completely control how an organisation is perceived.
    Indeed it is but the name is the most important thing to get right. Most people I'd imagine don't get as far as a website, they just see/hear it in the media.
    Their web site and communications makes their position crystal clear and that is all they can do.
    It makes their aims crystal clear. It says nothing about not representing atheists in general.
    I don't believe there is any significant view among the public that they peak for Atheists and they make no claim whatsoever to speak for Atheists, and they certainly do not speak for me.
    Well I do. I even quoted a post of someone on here implying that very idea.
    Your assertion that an organisation cannot use a name based on the major topic that they involve themselves in, just because they also take stands on other topics is completely erroneous.
    If I'd said someone cannot use a name I would have been erroneous, Mr Strawman.

It's not erroneous to offer an opinion that a chosen name has a side effect of skewing some people's perceptions of a word. And since this is not something you or I can truly ascertain without hitting the streets or creating a poll in AH, all either of have are opinions.

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    An organisation that works actively to deny a minority of the population the right to be seen as equals are extreme.

"the right to be seen as equals" is a very loaded (not to mention vague) phrase. I suspect, from you follow on paragraph that you're talking about same-sex marriage. If we're going down the road of labelling anyone who does not agree with the proposed novel definition of marriage as "extreme" then you might find that there are a lot of "extremists" in the country....
    Jamiekelly wrote: »
    I Heart Internet, you've been clutching at straws for the past few pages now. Maybe its time to move onto the next debate?

I've been asking people why they label Iona and their views as extreme. fair play to you Jamiekelly for being the first person to actually give an example of a view that you think is extreme, even if I don't agree that it is.

So the name "Atheist Ireland" is clear and unambiguous?
    Completely.
    I am being irrational for suggesting that people may mistakenly believe AI seeks to represent all atheists in Ireland?
    Completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

It is to me. Every bit as much as the "Labour" party which also does not speak for everyone who labours or is in labour taking gas and air.

It is certainly clearer and more unambiguous than the names some people have unfortunately come up for their businesses or associations. One from my college years in Cork always jumps to mind which can be read in one of two ways. I know which one they meant.... but I also know which one makes me want to go in and ask for a net bag of tennis balls.

Certainly not to me, regardless of how you read it. Given that Ireland isn't a country with an atheist majority, the obvious interpretation of the name is an organisation representing atheists in Ireland and/or promoting atheism in Ireland. While it's members may be atheists, I doubt they could reasonably be described as representative of atheism in Ireland. Similarly, their activities seem to be more focussed on secularism than anything else.
    I am being irrational for suggesting that people may mistakenly believe AI seeks to represent all atheists in Ireland? Could you explain, for a simpleton like myself, why that is irrational?

It is only irrational insofar as it should be pretty obvious to most people that atheists aren't a homogeneous group with a broadly common world view or any agenda. There is a common fallacy that crops up regularly on these boards and elsewhere that atheism can be compared to a religion without a God, much like humanism for example. I think this is untrue and misleading, and I can see how the name Atheist Ireland would add to the confusion for those who aren't atheists.

Completely.

Completely.

You failed to answer the "why" part of my question.

And comment #78 while you're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Michael Nugent

I think some people are underestimating most people’s common sense.

Should the following also rebrand themselves?
    • The Catholic Church
    • The Church of Ireland
    • The Humanist Association of Ireland
    • The Irish Times
    • The Irish Independent
    • The Irish Architectural Archive
    • The Labour Party
    • The Workers Party
    • The Green Party
    • Manchester United
    • Manchester City
    • United of Manchester
    • Chariots of Fire
    • Lord of the Flies
    • 50 Shades of Grey
    • Boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

[*]The Green Party

Who the hell do they think they are speaking on behalf of everything green! Do they want to be the voice of anything green? Dear god in heaven above what would Kermit the Frog think about this. Have they even BOTHERED to listen to the heart breaking lyrics of "Its not easy being green?"

^^^ Good point. Does the Irish Times represent all Irish people? Can foreigners legitimately feel excluded?

• Advertisement

I think some people are underestimating most people’s common sense.

Agreed. Most people can figure it out for themselves and there's no pressing need for a name change.

But don't be shocked if people do, in good faith, mistakenly think Atheist Ireland might be some kind of representative/lobbying body for more than just it's members.

Advertisement