Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sea trout fishing tips/help

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Seller159 wrote: »
    I would love to but I don't have fly rod anymore an tbh not to sure how to fly fish never really gave it a try and I trade my fly rod in here a while back but the guy i sent it to kept it and never reply back to me or send me what we we're suppose to trade :(

Was that trade via the Boards trade thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Id be interested to know this too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Seller159

Was that trade via the Boards trade thread?

Yes it was on the fishing tackle trade thread was a few months back. I sent the guy loads a message ect and nothing .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Yes it was on the fishing tackle trade thread was a few months back. I sent the guy loads a message ect and nothing .

That is horribly dishonest if that's the case. Do you still have the name and address? You probably do in your pm's. I'd send a registered letter maybe and ask for the swap or your gear back. We did a fly swap here a few years back and no one took advantage. I was thinking about this all day since I read it and I'm disgusted for you. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Seller159

SeaFields wrote: »
    That is horribly dishonest if that's the case. Do you still have the name and address? You probably do in your pm's. I'd send a registered letter maybe and ask for the swap or your gear back. We did a fly swap here a few years back and no one took advantage. I was thinking about this all day since I read it and I'm disgusted for you. :mad:

Yeah it really is dishonest and just not right. Yeah i probleynstill have it and I might just do that actually.
    He had told me he sent it and I waited two weeks or so and no sign of it he said he would look into it told me a week later that the post lost it and found it again and are sending back to him that we would resend it to me then noting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mirrors

Hi are shrimp an effective bait to use for trout in freshwater?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭con___manx1

mirrors wrote: »
    Hi are shrimp an effective bait to use for trout in freshwater?

Shrimp is a good bait for rainbow trout in stocked lakes. Never heard of brown or sea trout caught on shrimp.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

Yeah it really is dishonest and just not right. Yeah i probleynstill have it and I might just do that actually.
    He had told me he sent it and I waited two weeks or so and no sign of it he said he would look into it told me a week later that the post lost it and found it again and are sending back to him that we would resend it to me then noting.

What was he supposed to give you in return if you dont mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jd6210

Anyone fishing the dargle

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Is there a separate license required for sea trout and Salmon or does the one license cover both?

Was think of bringing the kids down to the beach in the next couple of weeks and trying for some sea trout - but not if its very expensive - anyone know the approx cost of a license - can you get one per day or for the week?

• Advertisement

Is there a separate license required for sea trout and Salmon or does the one license cover both?

Was think of bringing the kids down to the beach in the next couple of weeks and trying for some sea trout - but not if its very expensive - anyone know the approx cost of a license - can you get one per day or for the week?

Details here - http://www.fishinginireland.info/salmon/salmon_licence.htm

You're talking at least €20 per person per day. Really not worth it if just hitting a beach on spec. Why not target something more reliable if taking kids? Beach fishing for sea trout is more miss than hit.

You're talking at least €20 per person per day. Really not worth it if just hitting a beach on spec. Why not target something more reliable if taking kids? Beach fishing for sea trout is more miss than hit.

What else is likely to take on small spinning gear off clew bay/kilalla bay beaches, pollack maybe? Too early for mackerel.

What else is likely to take on small spinning gear off clew bay/kilalla bay beaches, pollack maybe? Too early for mackerel.

Yes, go for pollock. There are some mackerel about too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Yes, go for pollock. There are some mackerel about too.

€20 per person per day for adults buying day licences. That's probably the most expensive and ridiculous way to do it. A 21-day licence for an adult is €40, that's less than €2 a day, or a season licence for a district is €56, that's far cheaper per day again. A season licence for a juvenile (OP mentioned bringing the kids fishing) is €10.

Also, he mentioned fishing beaches in certain areas, where sea trout are a very common catch, and pollack would be exceedingly rare. Spinning on a beach in those locations is targeting sea trout, so advising someone not to buy a licence is just bad advice.

Zzippy wrote: »
    €20 per person per day for adults buying day licences. That's probably the most expensive and ridiculous way to do it. A 21-day licence for an adult is €40, that's less than €2 a day, or a season licence for a district is €56, that's far cheaper per day again. A season licence for a juvenile (OP mentioned bringing the kids fishing) is €10.

Also, he mentioned fishing beaches in certain areas, where sea trout are a very common catch, and pollack would be exceedingly rare. Spinning on a beach in those locations is targeting sea trout, so advising someone not to buy a licence is just bad advice.

Fair enough but paying that kind of money for kids to have an odd day fishing at a beach is madness. But, look, carry on. I have fished beaches for almost 60 years and would never accuse somebody with kids spinning on a beach in July of targeting sea trout.

Thanks for the advise guys - €10 for the kids is not so bad.

21 days for less than €2 a day sounds good in theory but I suspect that given work and weather, I'll be luck to get out 2 of the 21 days! Maybe I'll leave the fishing to the boys and just observe!

Fair enough but paying that kind of money for kids to have an odd day fishing at a beach is madness. But, look, carry on. I have fished beaches for almost 60 years and would never accuse somebody with kids spinning on a beach in July of targeting sea trout.

€10 for 9 months is madness? Better to have it and be able to take the odd sea trout home than not have it and break the law. The OP specifically mentioned areas where sea trout are extremely common on beaches, and specifically mentioned targeting sea trout. If they were fishing beaches in Waterford or Kerry where they could be targeting bass your advice might hold water, but it's irresponsible to advise people to ignore the law.

Zzippy wrote: »
    €10 for 9 months is madness? Better to have it and be able to take the odd sea trout home than not have it and break the law. The OP specifically mentioned areas where sea trout are extremely common on beaches, and specifically mentioned targeting sea trout. If they were fishing beaches in Waterford or Kerry where they could be targeting bass your advice might hold water, but it's irresponsible to advise people to ignore the law.
    It's not 10 for 9 months it's for one (possibly 2) outings and it is per child.
    I'm not going to get into an argument with you on this but fishing for other species in a sea trout area is not against the law. To say so is just being alarmist. Plenty of people legally fish those areas without a salmon licence. Moreover, I did not advise breaking the law: I suggested taking the kids to target other species and species that are easier for children to catch. Remember, this is a man taking kids fishing for maybe only 2 days the whole summer. Just being realistic and hoping a couple of kids might get the fishing bug.

It's not 10 for 9 months it's for one (possibly 2) outings and it is per child.
    I'm not going to get into an argument with you on this but fishing for other species in a sea trout area is not against the law. To say so is just being alarmist. Plenty of people legally fish those areas without a salmon licence. Moreover, I did not advise breaking the law: I suggested taking the kids to target other species and species that are easier for children to catch. Remember, this is a man taking kids fishing for maybe only 2 days the whole summer. Just being realistic and hoping a couple of kids might get the fishing bug.

If they get the bug they may keep fishing for the rest of the season. He/she specifically mentioned sea trout, and specifically mentioned certain areas. Now maybe where you live sea trout are a rare catch, but in some areas sea trout are so common that anyone spinning off the beach can realistically be assumed to be targeting sea trout. Instead you advised targeting pollack (off the beach, really?), and not to get a licence. Better advice might have been to try off a pier for mackerel, or to find a safe rock mark for pollack, or maybe, to recognise that they want to catch sea trout and therefore, advise them of the cheapest way to do so legally and get kids started off the right way.

Advertisement