Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How bad/fattening is Hot Chocolate really?

Options
  • 31-07-2014 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

Hi!

I general I'm fairly healthy but my one vice is a good Hot Chocolate. The one in the coffee shop near me has the works, marshmallows, grated chocolate and full fat milk.

The jury seems to be out in the office on how much of treat / how bad this actually is.

Can anyone shed a bit of light!?

Thanks a Mil.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,581 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

wolfen wrote: »
    Hi!

I general I'm fairly healthy but my one vice is a good Hot Chocolate. The one in the coffee shop near me has the works, marshmallows, grated chocolate and full fat milk.

The jury seems to be out in the office on how much of treat / how bad this actually is.

Can anyone shed a bit of light!?

Thanks a Mil.

Lot of sugar? Check.

But it will largely depend on what you eat and drink over the course of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

well without knowing any details on the size etc, comparing it to starbucks who have a list of all their drinks here, their "tall" hot chocolate is 284 calories.

Which to tell you the truth sounds a fairly low. But either way, if this is you only vice and and unless you are going overboard on them. I'd say you are doing pretty well!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Pinkmoon19

Lot of sugar? Check.

But it will largely depend on what you eat and drink over the course of the day.

Ok so a regular day's diet:

Brekkie: Half punnet of strawberries, half pack of blueberries. Quarter pineapple,

Snack: Yellow pepper and Hummus (Or Hot Choc :D).

Lunch: Chicken Fillet, Rocket, Spinach, Balsamic Dressing, Pomegranate, Sundried Tomatoes, Feta Cheese.

Dinner: Chicken Fillet, Pancetta Ham, Sweet Potato, Rocket.

I've actually been really strict the last month or so and loads of exercise (Boot camp twice a week + 1 hour walk 2-3 times a week). but not really having any weight loss success at all. Bit Fed up now hence the Hot Chocolate treats.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Bit Fed up now hence the Hot Chocolate treats.

What on Earth does this mean? You're unsatisfied with your weight loss attempts so you drink a big cup of liquid, milky sugar? :confused:

If you're not losing weight then you're eating too much. Think of a hot chocolate as a liquid muffin: Tons of sugar and other carbs, no actual nutritional value. It's a terrible idea and you should stop drinking them if you want to be a healthy weight.

Zillah wrote: »
    What on Earth does this mean? You're unsatisfied with your weight loss attempts so you drink a big cup of liquid, milky sugar? :confused:

It means I'm fed up being good and not getting results! So I may as well be bad and not get results :D

To be honest I don't have a lot of weight to lose, I'm not really overweight, just have a holiday coming up in a couple of weeks.

• Advertisement

If you want to reduce body fat you need to lower your calorie intake. Having what amounts to dessert in a cup is not conducive to that. You're also not going to see any meaningful changes in a couple of weeks.

Zillah wrote: »
    If you want to reduce body fat you need to lower your calorie intake. Having what amounts to dessert in a cup is not conducive to that. You're also not going to see any meaningful changes in a couple of weeks.

Thanks Zillah. Looking at the daily food diary I put up, with the obvious deduction of Hot chocolate, what would you take out?

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Thanks Zillah. Looking at the daily food diary I put up, with the obvious deduction of Hot chocolate, what would you take out?

Thanks,
    Without knowing your details [height/current weight] plus what kinda portions you are having its very hard to tell.

But a quick look at that above diet is very fruit heavy. Fruit is not bad for you obviously but if you are not getting results then you are probably having too much of it. Perhaps change the breakfast to something like eggs, bacon/eggs or porridge if you prefer?

Thanks,

Nothing there is obviously a bad choice. What about booze and all the other snacks you've neglected to mention? It is very tempting to say that one or two don't count, but they all count.

If that really is a typical day's food then you should just reduce the portion size on all of it by, say, a third, and you'll make progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

I'd take a look at your breakfast tbh. Probably some porridge oats or weetabix would be better than a load of fruit. eg 2 weetabix and the strawberrys, as the weetabix or oats will leave you fuller for longer and stop you snacking or getting hungry earlier.

• Advertisement
Advertisement