Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Blocking Go Safe van

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

TheChizler wrote: »
    You sure they were GoSafe vans and not work vans with a some red and yellow chevrons? They're very popular in recent years with councils and even regular tradesmen.
    I'm not blind, I saw the vans close up, hey, I even saw the camera in the windows.

I'll repeat it, not all go-safe( so called) vans have reflective markings. In fact, the chevrons were less visible than the sow down signs on the top of the doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭billie1b

If the vans have no reflective markings on them, whether they be go-safe or Garda vans they are 'tester' vans, they are put in areas to keep an eye on the speed limit and see if there is a problem with speeding within that area, they usually test for a couple of days/times out if the week and if needed they will put a marked van there then to issue penalties and the tester vans move on to another area.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Bogger77 wrote: »
    I'm not blind, I saw the vans close up, hey, I even saw the camera in the windows.

I'll repeat it, not all go-safe( so called) vans have reflective markings. In fact, the chevrons were less visible than the sow down signs on the top of the doors.

I didn't say that you were blind? I was wondering could there be an alternate explanation. If they had specific GoSafe markings then fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

I'm going to get pictures of the go-safe van in my area next time around. It parks on a side area to the main road incoming to the town in a specific place where the town lights don't work so its in the pitch dark. It is practically invisible to oncoming traffic and certainly not very reflective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

billie1b wrote: »
    If the vans have no reflective markings on them, whether they be go-safe or Garda vans they are 'tester' vans, they are put in areas to keep an eye on the speed limit and see if there is a problem with speeding within that area, they usually test for a couple of days/times out if the week and if needed they will put a marked van there then to issue penalties and the tester vans move on to another area.
    Not tester vans, I have a ticket from one in one of the locations, from a couple of years ago.

They're in marked zones, with all the usual markings, but just not very reflective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Bogger77 wrote: »
    Not tester vans, I have a ticket from one in one of the locations, from a couple of years ago.

Me too, unfortunately. 1st one in 17 yrs of driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭billie1b

Well if you have a ticket from a van with 'NO' reflective markings on it I would suggest you appeal that decision and say it was from an unmarked van, these vans are only to be used for surveying areas, all vans that send out fines must have visible markings on it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

billie1b wrote: »
    Well if you have a ticket from a van with 'NO' reflective markings on it I would suggest you appeal that decision and say it was from an unmarked van, these vans are only to be used for surveying areas, all vans that send out fines must have visible markings on it

No, read again what all the posters said. The vans have markings, all the usual camera signs, slow down, chevrons etc. They are just not very reflective. In industry, you can choose how reflective you want a material to be for such use. The more reflective, the more expensive generally speaking. I'd consider these vans to have 'glossy' markings as opposed to reflective.

You are right in saying that unmarked vans cannot issue fines, provided of course they are GoSafe. Garda vans can operate marked and unmarked in any area they please.

Advertisement