Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil ceremony, no guests. Any regrets

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

professore wrote: »
    Personally I would regret not having close family and close friends there - but otherwise modest. To each their own though. I suppose if I didn't get on with my family I might have a different view.

I don't think it has anything to do if you get on with your family or not. Some people just don't want the big day!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

professore wrote: »
    Personally I would regret not having close family and close friends there - but otherwise modest. To each their own though. I suppose if I didn't get on with my family I might have a different view.

I get on well with most of my family and get on really well with his, its not about being anti social or avoiding family issues its just that sometimes its nice to have something that is all about you and you don't have to worry about other people. By keeping things small you also save a lot of money which some couples would prefer to use on other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

eviltwin wrote: »
    I get on well with most of my family and get on really well with his, its not about being anti social or avoiding family issues its just that sometimes its nice to have something that is all about you and you don't have to worry about other people. By keeping things small you also save a lot of money which some couples would prefer to use on other things.

Let's face it with a lot of families you never hear the end of "they never had soup" or "image it was on a thursday" and "we were starving we only got a few biscuits and had to wait ages for the dinner" and let's not forget "you have to invite x y and z" who really you may have never even met!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

I think that's sad if all a wedding comes down to, but personally know with time these things are forgotten.

I got married abroad with no family and had a huge party when we came back. No one ever said to me about loosing out, and it was all anyone could talk about in terms of party for ages after. 19 years later no one remembers or its old news.

The problem in this country from all angles is what people think. When we initially were getting married here there was war because his brother was older and told us he had to get married first, and booked his wedding for 2 weeks before we booked, my best friend then booked the week before and every aunt, uncle dog had an opinion.

No one talked to anyone for ages and we forgot what was important. So we cancelled all plans, booked a carribean wedding or 2 and told them as we boarded the plane.

We forgot it was about us, and what we were doing, don't loose sight of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Feck. A new AMG CLS? You could have bought one a year old, had just as nice a car, and have money left over to pay for a wedding.

Dunno about regrets, but it wasn't great deployment of financial resources.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

eviltwin wrote: »

People just don't seem to get this.
    There is an assumption that a couple had a very simple wedding with no guests because there were family problems or issues or whatever.
    People seem incapable of accepting that some couples just don't want ANY fuss whatsoever.
    Nobody was mad at anybody else, nobody wanted to insult anybody, it wasn't meanness, it wasn't a "statement".
    If family or friends take offence and huff then without doubt that shows them up for what they really are.
    For a girl to stop talking to her sister because she didn't buckle under and have the big day out is very telling.

Advertisement