Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever met a smug traveller?

Options
  • 30-07-2014 8:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭

I mean "traveller" in the backpacker sense rather than our caravan dwelling friends :)

You know the type - they return home after a year spent drinking their way across South East Asia and banging chics in dirty hostels. They will bore anybody who will listen to them with tales of magical sunsets on the beach and how they've changed. You just don't "get" them anymore.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

truffle5 wrote: »
    IThey will bore anybody who will listen to them

You can talk.

I seen one driving a range rover towing a twin axel caravan the smug Prick

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Never mention the T word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

kneemos wrote: »
    Never mention the T word.

Thailand backpacker ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭sleepytrees

Yeah and even worse he was from bray. Total knob-head who thought he was great after living in Spain and doing a bit of back packing. 23 year old me, thought he was amazing.

I've probably traveled more than him now. Anyway his a dick. The End.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

I can't stand the ones that say they have done somewhere.

E.G. Oh yea man, like I did Asia last year last year and I'm going to do South America next year.

How the fvck does one 'do' a continent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I'll probably be that person when I get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,418 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I too thought it was going to be a guy boasting about his 142 hiace and appearing on gypsy wedding etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Yeah and even worse he was from bray. Total knob-head who thought he was great after living in Spain and doing a bit of back packing. 23 year old me, thought he was amazing.

I've probably traveled more than him now. Anyway his a dick. The End.

Looks like you fell for the lake Titicaca story ala Friends?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

I mean "traveller" in the backpacker sense rather than our caravan dwelling friends :)

You know the type - they return home after a year spent drinking their way across South East Asia and banging chics in dirty hostels. They will bore anybody who will listen to them with tales of magical sunsets on the beach and how they've changed. You just don't "get" them anymore.

Do the female backpackers do that too?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

One of the worst things about college was the interminable and identikit tales about staying in south American hostels and sleeping on train platforms you had to endure every autumn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Nah, doesn't bother me in the least. Smug gits who've never been anywhere and act as if they're higher and mightier for it are the worst.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭truffle5

I've noticed a lot of backpackers (male and female) have dreadlocks. Why is that?

Looks like you fell for the lake Titicaca story ala Friends?

Yes, yes I did. He was even ginger but rose tinted glasses hid that.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭pidgeoneyes

Banging Chic! Nile Rodgers won't be happy!

anncoates wrote: »
    One of the worst things about college was the interminable and identikit tales about staying in south American hostels and sleeping on train platforms you had to endure every autumn.

^ This

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Never saw the appeal of living like a tramp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I can't stand the ones that say they have done somewhere.

E.G. Oh yea man, like I did Asia last year last year and I'm going to do South America next year.

How the fvck does one 'do' a continent?

Debbie would manage it, I'd say, she's a great girl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

I've met some very smug travellers, two horrible bitches from Cork in a campsite in Broome were the absolute worst. Also a swedish girl with BO in a hostel in Kuala Lumpur. And an English stock trader in Dar es Salaam. But most people I've met back packing were just normal people who realised they were just another tourist, so meeting just 4 out of maybe 100s isn't so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I've noticed a lot of backpackers (male and female) have dreadlocks. Why is that?
    Because they have found themselves, maaan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

They went off to find themselves in south east Asia, dreadlocks,spinning fire,drinking buckets of alcohol and leaving their rubbish on the beach is all part of it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭truffle5

I have found that Irish people in particular adopt a smug, superior, faux-cosmopolitan attitude while travelling abroad. They avoid other Paddies as they don't want to be reminded of their culchie upbringing in Carlow....have to keep up the pretense of being a cultured "citizen of the world".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭bboybaboy19

The only people who complain about others travelling and take the piss out of them 'finding themselves' as such are strangely the ones who've only ever left the country for a max of 2 weeks on a sun holiday to a tourist destination.

Reeks of jealousy.

I have found that Irish people in particular adopt a smug, superior, faux-cosmopolitan attitude while travelling abroad. They avoid other Paddies as they don't want to be reminded of their culchie upbringing in Carlow....have to keep up the pretense of being a cultured "citizen of the world".

Well people from other countries probably do that too, but maybe we only recognise it when we see it in other Irish people. I've met Americans who try desperately hard to convince everyone and themselves that they are better than the red neck republican hill billies at home, but to be honest they were so insufferably right on and PC I would have rather gone drinking with the hillbillies, they'd probably have been more craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

That's me actually. At least I'm self aware :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

Nahhh, what I try and do is use those years footing turf in the bog to make me sound like some kind of amazing otherworldly creature.

• Site Banned Posts: 1 Smug Traveller

Yes ??

The only people who complain about others travelling and take the piss out of them 'finding themselves' as such are strangely the ones who've only ever left the country for a max of 2 weeks on a sun holiday to a tourist destination.

Reeks of jealousy.

I don't think that's what this thread is about really. The types I'm talking about are the ones who try to devalue other peoples trips and elevate their own. The best example of it is in the episode of Black Books when the travel writer comes to the shop and dismisses Manny's experience as 'nothing'. That's the type of person I'm talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

I don't think that's what this thread is about really. The types I'm talking about are the ones who try to devalue other peoples trips and elevate their own. The best example of it is in the episode of Black Books when the travel writer comes to the shop and dismisses Manny's experience as 'nothing'. That's the type of person I'm talking about.

Do people really do that though? Or are they just telling you about great places they've been but because you've not been there it doesn't really interest you and it seems then like they're showing off when really they're just saying that they've been to an amazing place?

I think most people just like to share their stories. I don't think they're being smug. Sure, we might find them boring and irritating if we're not interested- but I'd rather that than someone who never leaves the country and has no clue of the world beyond their own back yard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

That's just competitive arseholes so rather than travellers? Anyone who stops to think about it at all will realise that the number of places you've been to means **** all if you got absolutely nothing from it other than another place to tick off.

Advertisement