Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi stopping mid-fare for fuel

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

cython wrote: »
    Fine. Average fare if you prefer that term. There is such a thing as that if you have driven a taxi for any decent length of time, although many drivers may not care to calculate it. I don't know what the OPs journey was, but if, for example, I was to get a taxi at a rank in Dublin City Centre and (barring absolutely obscene traffic resulting in high fuel consumption) the driver had to stop for fuel on a run even as far as the airport, I wouldn't be too impressed - it's less than 15km, after all.

I used to work as a hackney base operator, and none of our drivers would have had the audacity to turn up to a booked fare without enough fuel to do even that distance of a run, and I would view electing to sit on a rank (as opposed to being flagged down - that's less in your control) with similarly little fuel as bad form also.

There's no need for flippant and facetious comments, by the way.

As a hackney base you would be obliged to know the destination of the passenger, so that you could tell them the fare in advance. As a taxi you can be hailed and not know where your next fare is going to. Like apples and pears really, similar but not the same.

Anyway the argument in reality is should they have turned the meter off, and as I've said ALL meters have the facility to be stopped and restarted mid journey. Stopping for fuel mid journey should not be a concern at all unless you are so tight that you think the extra 50 meters entering and leaving the garage is going to cost you.

This is making the assumption that the driver knows how to operate his meter correctly and isn't taking the piss by driving off to a garage to save a few cents rather than using one that lies on the route

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Spook_ie wrote: »
    As a hackney base you would be obliged to know the destination of the passenger, so that you could tell them the fare in advance. As a taxi you can be hailed and not know where your next fare is going to. Like apples and pears really, similar but not the same.
    You're the one bringing the pears into it I'm afraid, seeing as I explicitly made reference to being hailed being a different scenario, thus excluding said pears. Sitting on rank (as per the OP) without enough fuel to do so much as a 10 or 15km fare would be taking the piss, IMHO, as it's a perfectly reasonable journey for someone to request. If you want to go into fruit analogies maybe comparing braeburns to gala apples would be more suitable.
    Spook_ie wrote: »
    Anyway the argument in reality is should they have turned the meter off, and as I've said ALL meters have the facility to be stopped and restarted mid journey. Stopping for fuel mid journey should not be a concern at all unless you are so tight that you think the extra 50 meters entering and leaving the garage is going to cost you.

This is making the assumption that the driver knows how to operate his meter correctly and isn't taking the piss by driving off to a garage to save a few cents rather than using one that lies on the route
    Of course the meter should have been stopped, and had the OP hailed the cab as it was passing I'd agree completely RE that being the only leaving matter for discussion, but depending on the journey (not sure it was ever clarified) it may have been reasonable to expect a driver on rank to have enough fuel without a stop, as above.

Advertisement