Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC with Steam Big Picture and Xbox 360 controller. Any point in consoles anymore?

Options
  • 28-07-2014 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,648 ✭✭✭✭

Plugged my PC up to the 48" LED in the living room via HDMI and tried out Steam's Big Picture mode there this weekend with a wireless Xbox 360 controller.

(I've only just gotten around to getting a wireless receiver)

Sitting back on my couch, I was able to start/stop/change games at will using the controller, and played games at ultra-high graphics settings, surpassing those of my Xbox 360 (and possibly the Xbox One/PS4 although I don't have them to compare). It's a recent PC-build.

Was highly enjoyable and I'll be playing all my games (where controller-support allows) like this rather than being hunched over a desk.

Up until this point, the main benefit consoles had for me over PC gaming was the relaxed attitude of sitting back on the couch and controlling everything via the gamepad, but now that's gone do the consoles offer anything that can't be achieved over a PC?

Main pros I can think of for consoles:
    - Machine price cheaper (but game price more expensive)
    - You can play online with mates that have the same machine
    - Guarantee the game will work with your machine

Taking into account that in the long run you'll spend less on PC games, so that levels out the cost factor, is there anything else that consoles have over PC gaming?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

mrcheez wrote: »
    Plugged my PC up to the 48" LED in the living room via HDMI and tried out Steam's Big Picture mode there this weekend with a wireless Xbox 360 controller.

(I've only just gotten around to getting a wireless receiver)

Sitting back on my couch, I was able to start/stop/change games at will using the controller, and played games at ultra-high graphics settings, surpassing those of my Xbox 360 (and possibly the Xbox One/PS4 although I don't have them to compare). It's a recent PC-build.

Was highly enjoyable and I'll be playing all my games (where controller-support allows) like this rather than being hunched over a desk.

Up until this point, the main benefit consoles had for me over PC gaming was the relaxed attitude of sitting back on the couch and controlling everything via the gamepad, but now that's gone do the consoles offer anything that can't be achieved over a PC?

Main pros I can think of for consoles:
    - Machine price cheaper (but game price more expensive)
    - You can play online with mates that have the same machine

Taking into account that in the long run you'll spend less on PC games, so that levels out the cost factor, is there anything else that consoles have over PC gaming?

I reckon both of those console Pro's can be applied to PC aswell if you want them to, it is possibly to build an affordable upgradeable PC if you wanted to!

And for me, the cheapness of the games and being able to use TeamSpeak or a suitable alternative, makes PC gaming better than any console.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

Avid PC gamer here, and have tried to play Xbox online, GTA5 as an example. Found the whole Multiplayer set up and comms a complete mess compared to PC, Teamspeak/Vent and MP PC games, just so much easier on PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,648 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Big Picture and going keyboard-less has been a game changer (literally) for me... I always preferred the console whenever I wanted a quick blast, and would reserve the PC for online multi-player where keyboard/mouse was preferred.

Now any future game purchases are likely going to be PC-only and only where full/partial controller support is included.

No going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,344 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Convenience. The amount of work which goes in to setting up a gaming build, changing settings, making sure games can run on your machine, installing games, installing drivers, updating parts of your build...

Buy console. Play games. Simple. All the games are built to be played on every version of that console. All the games are designed to be controlled by the exact same controller. The UI is designed to be as simple as possible for the express purpose of the console.

You buy a game, you know it'll work on your console and that you'll be playing it within minutes of putting it in. And for multiplayer, you know everyone is playing from the same level, as there's far less hacking/modding, as well as the difference in KB/M vs controller.

I don't care about graphics being turned up to insane levels. I don't care about user mods which mean I can play as Iron Man in GTA. I don't care about Teamspeak etc.

I know that with a console, I can put in a game, play it, and enjoy it how it was meant to be played (as most games are designed for consoles these days). I'm perfectly happy with that. I don't need the bonuses PC gaming gives, because I find most of them frivolous anyway, and there are a lot more things that can go wrong with a PC build than a console.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

mrcheez wrote: »
    I've been trying this couch style of gaming for a while and I'm done with it. xbox controller isn't even half as accurate as a mouse for anything like FPS, I'm going back to the desk it's a much easier and productive way to game.
    Penn wrote: »
    Convenience. The amount of work which goes in to setting up a gaming build, changing settings, making sure games can run on your machine, installing games, installing drivers, updating parts of your build...
    Steam installs games and updates them for you automatically, Drivers update automatically. You're talking about PC as they were 5 years ago not now. I also like being able to update my PC with new parts, it's not that hard to take the cover off, pop in the new card and let the universal drivers sort themselves out.

I don't care about graphics being turned up to insane levels. I don't care about user mods which mean I can play as Iron Man in GTA. I don't care about Teamspeak etc.
    Day Z is a mod, if you look at driving sims the mods that come out for them make completely new games. It's not just simple things like an Iron man mod.

• Advertisement

I had thought of that, but you can get machines pre-built for you.

I agree with the idea that there is some more tinkering involved, but so far that has only involved around 1 minute for the 5 or 6 games I tried at the weekend for the first time, and at most involved just setting the resolution.

For updating drivers, it seems this happens fairly regularly on Xbox too, and often you are locked out of the account until the update has downloaded which for me on my 2MB connection is a pain.

Other pros I can think of:
    - Design: perhaps fits in nicely with the furniture
    - Faster start-up: although with an SSD this isn't too much of an issue on PC

But generally speaking you are probably right that the main benefit is a guarantee that the game will work with the machine and no requirement to upgrade hardware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

The gap is narrowing but There will always be a place for consoles and pc despite the about of doom articles you see from the industry that f2p is the future or mobile is the future.

as long as consoles make exclusives worth owning for there consoles then they will always have a place.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Steam installs games and updates them for you automatically, Drivers update automatically. You're talking about PC as they were 5 years ago not now. I also like being able to update my PC with new parts, it's not that hard to take the cover off, pop in the new card and let the universal drivers sort themselves out.

That's the trouble though. PCs are great when they do what they're supposed to do and where everything goes smoothly. When they don't, they can be a hell of a lot harder to fix than a console.

That's the trouble though. PCs are great when they do what they're supposed to do and where everything goes smoothly. When they don't, they can be a hell of a lot harder to fix than a console.
    I wouldn't say that. If a console develops a fault do you really have a way of fixing it? Or do you have to send it back to the manufacturer for service?

It's true PCs can develop more faults but they are usually fixable by anyone with an internet connection to look up the solutions. I can't really remember too many times I've had to send a PC part anywhere to get fixed. Are you even supposed to lift the lid on your console? Are the parts as easily swappable as PC parts, would they be glued or soldered in?

I wouldn't say that. If a console develops a fault do you really have a way of fixing it? Or do you have to send it back to the manufacturer for service?

It's true PCs can develop more faults but they are usually fixable by anyone with an internet connection to look up the solutions. I can't really remember too many times I've had to send a PC part anywhere to get fixed. Are you even supposed to lift the lid on your console? Are the parts as easily swappable as PC parts, would they be glued or soldered in?

But at least if there's a fault with the console, you can send it back to be fixed. If there's a fault with a gaming build it's harder to pinpoint what the fault is. Is it a faulty part? Is some part simply not installed correctly? Is it a hardware or software fault? Is this part even compatible with my machine?

Again, maybe I am taking a bit of an antiquated view of PCs. I'm working off my own experiences of PCs in general. I'm fairly well tech-minded, but at the same time, the work and research that can go in to building and maintaining a gaming PC, for me, isn't worth the effort.

And like you say yourself, using a controller isn't as accurate as keyboard and mouse, so you prefer playing at a desk. That means you possibly also have to add in the cost of a desk & chair, and the space required for same into consideration when choosing between PC or console.

For me, the convenience of consoles outweighs the marginal benefits that a PC can give.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

For me, the convenience of consoles outweighs the marginal benefits that a PC can give.

Each to their own and whatnot, but as a recent Xbox fanboy who's converted to the master race, the benefits are far from marginal.

The savings with PC games being so cheap, after buying 10 PC games, what you've saved as opposed to console prices, could probably buy you a console :pac:

Have to agree, for all the "ifs and buts" about potential issues with PCs (that can usually be resolved with a bit of Googling), the prices really are hard to beat.

16+ games for less than €11 on a recent Humble Bundle which included Just Cause 2, Hitman Absolution/Tomb Raider/Deus Ex Human Revolution/etc

Gotta say Just Cause 2 set to ultra-high and played on a 48" LED with a controller is hard to beat :)

Each to their own and whatnot, but as a recent Xbox fanboy who's converted to the master race, the benefits are far from marginal.

The savings with PC games being so cheap, after buying 10 PC games, what you've saved as opposed to console prices, could probably buy you a console :pac:

How much cheaper was GTAV compared with console versions? Or The Last Of Us? :P

You can definitely get cheaper games on PC. But without a console there are some fantastic games you simply might never get to play, or have to wait months/year for a PC port.

I fully agree that it comes down to preference, and each to their own. All I'm trying to get across is that there are inherent advantages and disadvantages to both. Any point in consoles anymore? Yes. Absolutely. Depending on what benefits each individual.

But at least if there's a fault with the console, you can send it back to be fixed. If there's a fault with a gaming build it's harder to pinpoint what the fault is. Is it a faulty part? Is some part simply not installed correctly? Is it a hardware or software fault? Is this part even compatible with my machine?
    There's usually a logical path and problems rarely happen in isolation, so you type what happened into Google and there's more often than not someone with the same problem and a solution. If the part is faulty it can be sent back to it's maker.
    Again, maybe I am taking a bit of an antiquated view of PCs. I'm working off my own experiences of PCs in general. I'm fairly well tech-minded, but at the same time, the work and research that can go in to building and maintaining a gaming PC, for me, isn't worth the effort.
    Building is easy thanks to boards. Just go to the building and upgrading forum and they'll tell you exactly what to buy and where to get the best price for it. Maintenance isn't an issue.
    And like you say yourself, using a controller isn't as accurate as keyboard and mouse, so you prefer playing at a desk. That means you possibly also have to add in the cost of a desk & chair, and the space required for same into consideration when choosing between PC or console.
    Oh it's gone beyond a desk and chair, I'm in the process of designing a desk chair that also works as a driving sim rig. PCs turn games into obsessions because it allows you to fulfil any idea that comes into your head. Want to build a car simulator in your sitting room, no problem, the PC will even allow you to come up with your own control systems. At no point will your PC say no, you can't do that. That kind of open machine is going to have some hiccups but for PC users it's totally acceptable given what your can get back out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

I used to play on PCs (about 10 years ago). It might have changed since then but it used to annoy me having to purchase the latest video card or installing the latest drivers to eek out another few frames per second.

The Xbox 360 platform is about 7 years old. The longevity of consoles is a plus for me. I just want to buy a game, throw it into the console and start playing. I don't want to find out I need to upgrade X or downgrade some settings to get the best experience.

I don't care any more about the super graphics. If a game is good it can have crappy graphics. I actually bought an Xbox One and while the graphics are great I haven't gotten a game that has grabbed me. I'm still using older games on the 360 and the Xbox One is gathering dust.

Maybe I'm just getting old.

I'm not worried about the game prices. I don't buy a game on day one anymore so they're way cheaper by the time I buy them. I rarely use the shops in Ireland either. I was looking at the game of the year edition of some recent title on the Xbox One for €100 in Gamestop. WTF.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

timetogo wrote: »

I'm not worried about the game prices. I don't buy a game on day one anymore so they're way cheaper by the time I buy them. I rarely use the shops in Ireland either. I was looking at the game of the year edition of some recent title on the Xbox One for €100 in Gamestop. WTF.

I picked up watchdogs today for €12.40, For PC, and its not out that long

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

4 words: Red Ring of Death.

There are 3 dead XBox 360s in my flat, none of which can or will be fixed. I have never suffered hardware failure like it on any PC component. I'm told the Yellow light was just as bad for PS3 owners - it's not something I have personal experience with. My point is, any argument about hardware reliability is null and void given the failure rates in the previous generation of consoles and this gen's reliability remains to be seen.

I've always taken the approach that you're going to need a computer anyway, why not take the money you'd spend on a console and put it into the computer you were going to spend €400-€500 on and make yourself a pretty high end machine for €800-€900? Unless you're a total luddite, you'll be laughing. And besides, it's 2014 and computers have been a part of everyday life for 20 years. If you don't know how to perform basic maintenance on one then you really need to get your head out of your arse and learn - it's like not knowing how to change a tyre on a car or fix a puncture on a bike or figure out what setting is best for your laundry on a washing machine. It's essential real world skills.

Similarly, there is nothing difficult in building a computer - manufacturers employ largely unskilled factory workers to make their machines after basic training, with the resources available on YouTube and so on, it's difficult to get the build wrong - picking the parts is the only challenge (and I'm not trying to suggest that everyone should have encyclopedic knowledge of hardware, but the folks on our PC Building & Upgrading forum will always help people get the most bang for buck).

It's also worth noting that my PC (which is mid tier power at best) running Windows 8.1 on an SSD boots up in 15 seconds which is about 3 seconds faster than my 360 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

How much cheaper was GTAV compared with console versions? Or The Last Of Us? :P

You can definitely get cheaper games on PC. But without a console there are some fantastic games you simply might never get to play, or have to wait months/year for a PC port.

I fully agree that it comes down to preference, and each to their own. All I'm trying to get across is that there are inherent advantages and disadvantages to both. Any point in consoles anymore? Yes. Absolutely. Depending on what benefits each individual.

The exclusive thing works both ways though. Without a PC you miss out on more fantastic games than you would without a console.

I do agree that there is still a point in consoles, but lets not try and playoff the advantages PC has over them as some minor gimmicks. The performance thing for example... lets not kid ourselves, depending on your system it can be a huge upgrade.. not just the graphically improvement but the actual performance. Take Darksouls 2 for example, anyone that has played it on a console and on a PC will confirm just how much better it is at a high framerate/res.

On another note, do people still have issues with drivers and such ? I've honestly not updated my drivers since i built my rig (3 years ago) and have yet to play a game that wasn't plug and play. Maybe i'm just lucky.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,181 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I've been using the same Xbox since 2008, wasn't it only the first lot of 360's that suffered the RRoD?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

The new xbox and playstation hardware are moving closer and closer to PC boxes. What you're getting is a uniform closed system that works great for most people who just want to play games. In essence they're akin to gaming laptops.

I can even see it moving to a standardised hardware spec, like a bluray player or similar where any manufacturer can produce a box that plays any game supporting the standard. I think the EU were making noises in this direction too.
    Can you imagine a movie that only works on Sony branded DVD players?

Of course with steam being the de facto PC gaming platform I can see PC gaming moving towards convergence with this scenario also. The hardware is already pretty standard. You can buy components from almost anywhere and stick them together to build a PC. All that is needed is more standard open software like OpenGL to ensure cross platform accessibility. I guess SteamOS is a move towards this.

Also in home streaming is probably going to do more damage to consoles than just PCs alone. With my mouse and keyboard equipped PC upstairs streaming to my TV downstairs with a wireless controller that amazingly works across the house I have the best of both worlds.

The only reason I bought a PS4 was to own a Sony console for once and try out a whole facet of gaming that I was never exposed to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Shiminay wrote: »
    4 words: Red Ring of Death.

I wouldn't avoid consoles just because one model had issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Shiminay wrote: »
    I've always taken the approach that you're going to need a computer anyway, why not take the money you'd spend on a console and put it into the computer you were going to spend €400-€500 on and make yourself a pretty high end machine for €800-€900? Unless you're a total luddite, you'll be laughing. And besides, it's 2014 and computers have been a part of everyday life for 20 years. If you don't know how to perform basic maintenance on one then you really need to get your head out of your arse and learn - it's like not knowing how to change a tyre on a car or fix a puncture on a bike or figure out what setting is best for your laundry on a washing machine. It's essential real world skills.

Its such a good point, I've mentioned this a few times when people are giving the price of entry for pc gaming as a negative... as they type away on their £400-500 laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I've the HTPC / Gaming machine under the TV and use a wireless mouse / keyboard (360 controller for the odd games) and love it. I know some people wouldn't like using the mouse / keyboard on their couch but I like it and I play online most nights so I've never had an issue.............well maybe batteries dying in the mouse at the worst possible time but, hey, that's every few months :pac:

Have the phone set up with Yatse for XBMC if I'm particularly lazy and it acts as a server for mine and the GF's devices like the Raspberry Pi plugged into the CRT TV in the bedroom.

The hardest part of building a machine is deciding on what parts you want, I myself rarely come across problems with games / the PC itself and when I do it's never made me go "I wish I had a console instead of dealing with this bullshìt!".

If there's a problem trying to play online with a friend on our own server (Arma 3 for example) we can just quickly fire up Tunngle and go from there. Same procedure we use to play older games like the old Rainbow Six games, too.

With a PC, you just have an enormous back catalogue instead of being locked to a current generation and you can personalise / tweak it any way you want.

The PC isn't some moody thing that rarely co-operates and throws a wobble at the sight of a game, it really isn't that high-maintenance if you look after it and clean the insides of the machine every so often which takes about 5-10 minutes to do. (Ideally something that should be done to a console too since many people leave it on the carpet and it just sucks all the dust into it)

A small bit of research or asking questions when building a PC will go a long way, rather than just going for a "gaming pc" and paying a higher price.

With regards PC problems, a quick look at the PC Building and Upgrading forum shows a lot of people needing help with various issues (many of which don't seem to have been solved). Add to that most people planning on spending well over €600 on their builds.

Again, there is simply a lot to be said for convenience.

The only reason I'd get into PC gaming is if I was going to build a PC for HTPC purposes, which I'd spend the money to make a gaming PC out of it too. But at this point, I simply don't have the need to. The games I want are on console, and are perfectly playable on it with no fuss. It's extremely rare that any basic maintenance is needed at all. I can play in a way that's comfortable for me.

Even if I had a gaming PC I'd still have a console. No way could I have waited over a year for GTAV. Metal Gear Solid 5 isn't listed for PC. The Last of Us and Uncharted aren't on PC. The PC exclusive games simply don't interest me. The only one that I did genuinely want to play was Surgeon Simulator, but that's now coming to PS4 anyway.

Again, it's simply personal preference. There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

I have a vast collection of consoles and a laptop to play games on... the best of everything

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

GrayFox208 wrote: »
    laptop to play games on

Balderdash :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Cormac... wrote: »
    Balderdash :rolleyes:

Would you care to elaborate?

Duggy747 wrote: »
    The hardest part of building a machine is deciding on what parts you want

Ah now it's not THAT easy.

I recently built a machine from parts ordered over HardwareVersand and I hadn't built a machine for around 10 years, so there were some issues I had with finding where certain cables had to plug into (those speaker/LED cables were a nightmare.. I couldn't identify which side was + or which was - on the motherboard as they weren't clearly marked)... took a while to realise the SSD had to be screwed into the bottom of the case.. then the power cable wouldn't go in without a scary amount of pressure being applied so that I thought the device would snap.

Then the joy of trying to keep all the wires tidy and having to reconfigure the placement of drives when you realise the power supply cable wouldn't reach!

Then the tweaking of the BIOS before the OS is installed.

Just a few examples .. I got there in the end but there was constant googling involved compared to:

- Purchase console
    - Unwrap
    - Plug-in
    - Turn on
    - Play

Don't be under any illusions that setting up a gaming PC is easy, it was rewarding getting there in the end, anything but easy (to the uninitiated).

So I recommend getting a pre-built machine if you fancy making your life easier! :)

With regards PC problems, a quick look at the PC Building and Upgrading forum shows a lot of people needing help with various issues (many of which don't seem to have been solved).
    Well it is a support forum. It's a bit like sitting in the ER waiting room and assuming the entire world is sick.

• Advertisement

Well it is a support forum. It's a bit like sitting in the ER waiting room and assuming the entire world is sick.

Fair point :D

Advertisement