Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trying to lose weight

Options
  • 27-07-2014 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

im roughly about 16.5 stone after haivng baby 7months ago. I wasnt big wen I was pregnant but afterwards stupidly I had takeaways chocs n fizzy drinks to keep me goin... now that im kind of gettin back on track ive joined a gym and have discovered spinning and I really love it also I go a weights class and last week I started pilates. so now I need to work on my diets. its actually terrible. in the morn if I get a chance I have wheatabix other then that its nothing at my tea break its 2 slices of toast with tea and probably some kinda chocolate then at lunch I might have chicken with some salad with sweet chili sauce or a sandwich crisps n oj or coke then ill go home and to be honest the easiest thing to put on is oven chips and something else like breaded fish/chicken kiev. I just need help in my diet and if the amount of exercise is enough?!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What height are you?

Is that your diet every day?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭lulu1985

Stheno wrote: »
    What height are you?

Is that your diet every day?

Im only 5ft 3/5ft 4

Yeah most days thats if im working. If im off i just about eat breakfast and then maybe nothing til dinner time.
    I know its a terrible diet :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

lulu1985 wrote: »
    Im only 5ft 3/5ft 4

Yeah most days thats if im working. If im off i just about eat breakfast and then maybe nothing til dinner time.
    I know its a terrible diet :(

Ok, post up what you'd eat over a week, if it's the same five days in a row just post up this x 5

Also include booze etc

And how often you go to the gym and what you do there.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭uberalex

My experience is that no amount of exercise will fix a bad diet, and you can't fix a bad diet without really taking control of what, and how much, you eat. You just cannot outrun/spin your fork.

A common approach is a food journal. Make a note of everything you eat and drink for a week. Every.thing. including the quantities. Then, work out your approach: you need to eat square meals and make the calories count. Generally that means leaner proteins, fewer refined carbohydrates, virtually no sugar, and more vegetables. It also often means not drinking calories (fruit juice, soft drinks, added sugar, alcohol).

There are countless strategies (points counting, calorie counting, diets, etc) but they all amount to the same thing: to lose weight, eat fewer calories than you expend.

Ok, post up what you'd eat over a week, if it's the same five days in a row just post up this x 5

Also include booze etc

And how often you go to the gym and what you do there.
    ok
    8.30Wheatabix with low fat milk and sugar

11 2 slices of toast with butter and maybe jam

1/2pm lunch
    Monday KFC meal. Hot chicken Wrap chips and coke
    Tuesday home made quiche penguin bar rwa with sugar
    Weds I didnt have lunch i had fried full breakfast with toast and tea around 11 and it kept me full
    Thursday 2 slices of toast tea 3 jaffa cakes and 2 penguin bars
    Friday egg n cress sanndwich pingu bar pack of quavers can of coke moro bar

Dinner then around 6/7
    Monday breaded fish and chips
    Tuesday chicken kiev n chips
    Weds 3 waffels and 2 fried eggs
    Thurs chicken curry chips and brown rice
    Friday didnt have dinner at all

Snacks wud be coke... baby rusks... bourban biscuits

I went to gym 3 times monday I did spin class tues I did weights class and thurs I did pilates

• Advertisement

ok
    8.30Wheatabix with low fat milk and sugar

11 2 slices of toast with butter and maybe jam

1/2pm lunch
    Monday KFC meal. Hot chicken Wrap chips and coke
    Tuesday home made quiche penguin bar rwa with sugar
    Weds I didnt have lunch i had fried full breakfast with toast and tea around 11 and it kept me full
    Thursday 2 slices of toast tea 3 jaffa cakes and 2 penguin bars
    Friday egg n cress sanndwich pingu bar pack of quavers can of coke moro bar

Dinner then around 6/7
    Monday breaded fish and chips
    Tuesday chicken kiev n chips
    Weds 3 waffels and 2 fried eggs
    Thurs chicken curry chips and brown rice
    Friday didnt have dinner at all

Snacks wud be coke... baby rusks... bourban biscuits

I went to gym 3 times monday I did spin class tues I did weights class and thurs I did pilates

Whats rwa with sugar?

That's a pretty appalling diet, I suggest you start tracking everything you eat, and improve one meal at a time. Make the effort to have a decent breakfast at first, so you don't feel the need to eat at tea break e.g. Also can you swap the coke for water maybe?

Your dinners are interesting, in that in the time it would take you to prepare/cook 2 fried eggs and waffles, you'd cook a decent healthy stirfry with plenty of veg and noodles.

E.g. Take out waffles, put on grill, fry eggs, about 15-20 mins.

Change to: Chop up chicken/veg : five mins
    Fry chicken/onion: five mins
    Add veg/noodles/fish sauce/soy sauce/seasoning and cook: ten mins at most.

Both on the plate in the same time, much more nutrition in the second.

Anytime I'd do the likes of a stirfy I do enough for two meals, to reheat the next day, so no need to cook, and know I can come home to a nice dinner.

Whats rwa with sugar?

That's a pretty appalling diet, I suggest you start tracking everything you eat, and improve one meal at a time. Make the effort to have a decent breakfast at first, so you don't feel the need to eat at tea break e.g. Also can you swap the coke for water maybe?

Your dinners are interesting, in that in the time it would take you to prepare/cook 2 fried eggs and waffles, you'd cook a decent healthy stirfry with plenty of veg and noodles.

E.g. Take out waffles, put on grill, fry eggs, about 15-20 mins.

Change to: Chop up chicken/veg : five mins
    Fry chicken/onion: five mins
    Add veg/noodles/fish sauce/soy sauce/seasoning and cook: ten mins at most.

Both on the plate in the same time, much more nutrition in the second.

Anytime I'd do the likes of a stirfy I do enough for two meals, to reheat the next day, so no need to cook, and know I can come home to a nice dinner.

What kind of sauce/seasoning would you put on the stirfry? Thats my downfall I find them very boring because I never know what kind of sauce to use...also wha kind of noodles? The egg noodles is it? Or rice noodles?

What kind of sauce/seasoning would you put on the stirfry? Thats my downfall I find them very boring because I never know what kind of sauce to use...also wha kind of noodles? The egg noodles is it? Or rice noodles?

I use different stuff to be honest, fish sauce (nam pla), soy sauce, a combination, and different spices depending on my mood.

I also use both types of noodles, some you just chuck in, others you put in boiling water to soften.

Anyway, that's a bit of a diversion from your overall issue tbh, I was just trying to demonstrate how the same amount of time from you, could result in a far more nutritious and healthy meal.

Do you plan your meals and shop accordingly?

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭confusedeire

I started using "my fitness app" and I only used it as a food diary along with my girlfriend to see how bad we were eating. We both are after losing over a stone each in 4 weeks of using it.

This is all by just calorie counting and weighing our portion size.

I found now I can't even eat the portions I used to have. While b4 I would go for a snack after dinner.

Next month I'm hoping to start sum exercise routine.

You should give the app a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

You need to kick a lot of that intake.

No amount of gym work will shift a lot of the junk you're consuming.

Level your breakfasts to something consistent and healthy. Moderate bowl of porridge made with water and mixed with yoghurt or two weetabix with banana.

Jacket potatoes with beans for lunch and a nice home cooked lean meat meal for dinner or a stir fry like stheno suggested.

Your calorie intake needs to be less than what your burning in the gym and right now, I think your love of convenience foods is counter acting any good that the gym is doing.

Ultimately, you need to learn what foods are good for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Throw the coke and other soft drinks out the window right now. That stuff is just the worst thing you could possibly have trying to lose weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Losing weight doesn't mean you have to eat rabbit food all the time, OP.
    You can still have tasty meals which are better for you.

Boiled eggs/wholemeal toast/Porridge are all good choices for breakfasts.
    I find eggs fill me up the most.

You could have a salad sandwich on brown bread for lunch or a mixed salad with lean chicken. The biggest tip I can suggest for salad is to make it interesting.
    If you've only got two or three things in it, it's gonna be boring.

I had a big salad today which consisted of: lettuce, rocket & spinach/cucumber/cherry tomatoes/gherkins/sweetcorn/scallions, red and green peppers and I topped that with a sliced cajun chicken breast.
    It was lovely because it was interesting and varied.

Drink lots of water. Add a dash of No-Added Sugar Mi Wadi if you can't stand plain water.

Use low fat milk/low fat cheeses/spreads.

Dinner could be a healthier version of what you like.

I make my own curry from scratch which involves chillies, onions, garlic, tomatoes, peppers and brown rice.

Bolognese; tomato sauce with mushrooms, peppers, onions, garlic, carrots, celery, lean mince beef, brown spaghetti.

Fish and chips-Slice some sweet potatoes into wedges, spray with calorie controlled oil and bake in the oven.

Dredge some cod fillets in seasoned flour and fry in calorie controlled spray.
    Roast chicken-all the veg, lean chicken breast.

If you haven't got time, find time on your day off to batch cook and freeze.

I won't go on and on but you can still have nice food...find foods you ENJOY, not food you THINK you should be eating.
    Easier that way.

Snack on raw nuts or fruit and keep working out in the gym!

fussyonion wrote: »

Use low fat milk/low fat cheeses/spreads.

I agree with all of your post but the above. Why low fat? Usually, low fat is full of sugar, the OP is living off sugar/carbs at the moment and needs to get past it.

Do you think full fat is bad?

I agree with all of your post but the above. Why low fat? Usually, low fat is full of sugar, the OP is living off sugar/carbs at the moment and needs to get past it.

Not at all but I guess I should have said if the OP was eating a lot of full fat dairy then it might be a good idea to switch to low.

I am of the same mindset as you when it comes to full-fat but it's just if someone is consuming a lot of full fat dairy, they might find switching to low-fat might help.

fussyonion wrote: »
    Not at all but I guess I should have said if the OP was eating a lot of full fat dairy then it might be a good idea to switch to low.

I am of the same mindset as you when it comes to full-fat but it's just if someone is consuming a lot of full fat dairy, they might find switching to low-fat might help.

Ah, sorry :) OP has mentioned low fat milk for her breakfast of weetabix.

I'd change her diet but include full fat milk, reduce the sugar.

Ah, sorry :) OP has mentioned low fat milk for her breakfast of weetabix.

I'd change her diet but include full fat milk, reduce the sugar.

No, I would be the same. I got myself muddled up :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Out of curiosity why would you recommend full fat milk?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

m'lady wrote: »
    Out of curiosity why would you recommend full fat milk?

She's eating far too many carbs. Drop the sugar and add full fat milk; similar calories but from a much better source. Fat has a place in a healthy diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'd agree that full fat is not the op's problem; it's fizzy drinks, chocolate bars and convenience food.

There's far too many carbs and too much sugar in her diet.

I'd start with breakfast. Op you could alternate between a 2 egg omelette, fage Greek yoghurt (dunnes stock it) with strawberries, blueberries etc, 2 boiled eggs with a slice of brown bread if you feel you need some, porridge. I don't think weetabix is a bad breakfast choice but try leave the sugar out. Add some cinnamon for taste. It takes me 2 mins to do an omelette while I'm getting breakfast for my 2 smallies and then I bring it with me and have it in work. I have it around 8am and I eat my lunch around 12.

A huge salad full of greens, tomatoes, cucumber, peppers, beet root, feta cheese perhaps, avocado, salmon fillet or chicken leg/drumsticks/breast with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. If you've got enough protein in there you won't feel hungry until dinner time. In the winter I tend to cook a little extra at dinner and bring it for my lunch the next day.

If you feel peckish in the morning firstly drink some water and if you're still hungry have a cup of milky coffee. That usually keeps me going for an hour or so until lunch if I feel hungry. Almonds are a good snack but only 10-15 of them. Count them out and put the bag away!

Stop eating elevenses snacks and chocolate bars at lunch time. Also definitely give up the fizzy drinks and juices. The juice has just as much sugar as coke.

Then tackle dinner. I totally agree that it's just as easy to cook a balanced dinner from scratch if you plan it in advance. It takes about 30 minutes and if you batch cook you can have it another night during the week. Anything you buy in a box will take the same amount if time to cook.

It's all about habits so if you can try adopting a few good ones you'll see results quickly and that will motivate you to continue.

I'd agree that full fat is not the op's problem; it's fizzy drinks, chocolate bars and convenience food.

There's far too many carbs and too much sugar in her diet.

I'd start with breakfast. Op you could alternate between a 2 egg omelette, fage Greek yoghurt (dunnes stock it) with strawberries, blueberries etc, 2 boiled eggs with a slice of brown bread if you feel you need some, porridge. I don't think weetabix is a bad breakfast choice but try leave the sugar out. Add some cinnamon for taste. It takes me 2 mins to do an omelette while I'm getting breakfast for my 2 smallies and then I bring it with me and have it in work. I have it around 8am and I eat my lunch around 12.

A huge salad full of greens, tomatoes, cucumber, peppers, beet root, feta cheese perhaps, avocado, salmon fillet or chicken leg/drumsticks/breast with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. If you've got enough protein in there you won't feel hungry until dinner time. In the winter I tend to cook a little extra at dinner and bring it for my lunch the next day.

If you feel peckish in the morning firstly drink some water and if you're still hungry have a cup of milky coffee. That usually keeps me going for an hour or so until lunch if I feel hungry. Almonds are a good snack but only 10-15 of them. Count them out and put the bag away!

Stop eating elevenses snacks and chocolate bars at lunch time. Also definitely give up the fizzy drinks and juices. The juice has just as much sugar as coke.

Then tackle dinner. I totally agree that it's just as easy to cook a balanced dinner from scratch if you plan it in advance. It takes about 30 minutes and if you batch cook you can have it another night during the week. Anything you buy in a box will take the same amount if time to cook.

It's all about habits so if you can try adopting a few good ones you'll see results quickly and that will motivate you to continue.

So today so far iv had banana for breakfast got up too late... at 11 I have a yoghurt wi granola lunch at 1.30 I had quiche wi lettuce peppers sweetcorn cucumber and then strawberries pineapple grapes and have drank 750mls of water so far.im goin home then to shepherd pie homecooked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,578 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

So today so far iv had banana for breakfast got up too late... at 11 I have a yoghurt wi granola lunch at 1.30 I had quiche wi lettuce peppers sweetcorn cucumber and then strawberries pineapple grapes and have drank 750mls of water so far.im goin home then to shepherd pie homecooked

Have you logged it on myfitnesspal?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭uberalex

It's good advice to check the low/non-fat products to see what they are adding in to remove the fat. They can increase the calories per 100g, but it's really more common in the States for the low-fat to be super sugary. There are however a lot of tricks for hiding added sugars such as fruit/jam/extracts in yoghurt.

The main culprits are the usual suspects such as ready-meals and 'cheat' desserts.

Advertisement