Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I cancel a maintenance order??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I believe you can stop it, but your solicitor can clarify this.

OP, you should go ahead with the order, because you are wanting to cancel it for the wrong reasons. Your ex should pay for his child, whether he sees her, or not. You're not supporting yourself, or your child and you are depending on the state, funded by the tax payer. I happen to be one of those tax payers. Do right by your daughter and get the immature mug to pay for what he helped create. If for nothing else, but to prevent him from thinking he can knock up some other girl and get away with it in every which way.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Supermumzy

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    If you are claiming JSA have you applied for your child to be considered your Dependent?
    If you have then I presume you have a childminder lined up while you look for work?
    You really need to apply for OPFP. You can earn €90 per week and still keep €217 OPFP. If you work 19 hours a week you can also get FIS.
    Being frank with you, you are not doing the right thing here, either by your baby or yourself. You are not going it alone, you are apparently entirely dependent on the state, and the State has to make your baby's other parent financially responsible for his child.
    The maintenance recovery unit will persue him for whatever amount they think he can contribute.
    His paying maintenance would have nothing to do with him having guardianship or access to his child.
    But if he seeks guardianship/access then ask yourself this.
    Is it the best thing for my daughter that she sees her dad?
    Everything from now on for you should be centred around what's best for your child. You have to put aside any animosity or bitterness you feel towards him now and for 18 years. Its very hard, but you want the best for her.
    If he doesn't want anything to do with her, or he's in some way a criminal then so be it, no daddy , but other then that, its not really your call to make....

To me i am doing whats right because you cant force a father to be part of a childs life that doesnt want to be its been 2 months now and her birthday next wk and not so much as a txt to see how she is or if he can see her. I wont be going on to OPFP because i work fulltime and always have worked since i was about 14. Im only out of work 2 months because my department downsized and yes i have childcare its not an issue. IVe zero interest staying on the dole and workin somewhere 19hrs a wk i want a career and thankfully ive had a few interviews now.

Ive fought with my ex numerous times to see her and he has no interest doesnt even want me having his phone number. Ive no bitterness i just think hes a pr*ck for not steppin up to his responsibilites. I could get on with him its him that refuses.

I wanted the court order cancelled because hes a manipulator and would get satisfaction out of me taken him ot court pressuming its a sly dig. But after speaking with my solicitor she told me not to let him intimidate me anymore and i am going ahead with the court order plus you cant cancel a maintenance order just for the record. Once the summons has been issued thats it, you can only withdraw on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Good for you OP! Let the sperm donor know he can't make children and don't pay for them...

It's his loss if he doesn't want to be a father.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Just a heads up supermunzy, I see your location is Naas so going to assume your in Naas court. Judge Zaidan takes a real dim view on dead beat dads. In the last 6 months he has held 2 fathers I know in contempt and gave them till the end of business to sort out their arrears or it was off to Mountjoy till they did pay up. If you get an order and he misses a week/month go straight back in to court. One woman didn't even have a solicitor with her.

Advertisement