Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Losing weight as a runner

Options
  • 25-07-2014 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I'm looking for a little bit of advice please. Basically I am looking to shed a bit of weight. I am not overweight, 5'10" and about 10st 10 at the moment (male). I also run quite a lot, 6-7 times a week usually. Over the winter I will be averaging about 50 (60-65 on some weeks) miles a week, which is a lot of calories burned! However despite how much I train I always seem to have a little too much excess fat around my stomach area, compared to the guys I train with. Obviously this comes down to diet. Now while I don't eat a lot of junk food or takeaways, my diet is probably still not great. I think I because I train a lot, I think I can eat more than I need too. Basically, I am looking for ways to clean up my diet, but while also leaving enough energy to train successfully.

A typical days food who be something like this:

Breakfast: Large bowl of weetabix, fruit and fibre, granola w/soya milk. Small glass of fruit smoothie.

AM: Maybe a piece of fruit

Lunch: Sandwich of some sort (ham, some lettuce, cheese), maybe an egg, 4 or five crispbreads with butter

Dinner: Usually potatoes w/meat and a lot of veg, pasta and sauce, stir fry some days, curry and rice, risotto (carbs basically!)

Snacks throughout the day: 2-3 pieces of fruit, maybe a few biscuits with a cup of tea

Now I can see the few issues there with the biscuits and maybe too many carbs but I am very unsure what to replace it with. Also, the running leaves me hungry a lot of the time so maybe portions would be too big as well.

Anyone any comments/suggestions on what to change? I can answer more info if needed. Again, I'm not overweight by any means but just looking to get leaner, especially around the stomach area. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Bruno26

I had a diet similar to yours. I also ran a fair bit but not as much as you. I could never lose the fat until I did something like this.

Get rid of the breakfast cereal. Replace with meat, eggs, green veg, greek yogurt, berries some nuts.

Replace the sandwich with real food (meat, fish, veg)

Replace the potatoes, pasta with real food (meat, fish, veg.)

Your plate should 2/3 veg and 1/3 meat.

Last nights dinner (make twice as much) can be tomorrows lunch

Check out a previous thread for healthy snacks.

Now I live on meat, fish, eggs, dairy (cream, cheese, greek yogurt etc.) veg (mostly green), berries, nuts (macadamia and almonds), coffee.

Cooking dishes that last for 4-5 days makes it a lot easier- e.g. pot of chicken Korma, Tikka Masala. Start using butter, olive oil, garlic, spices etc. to enhance flavor. Lunch and dinner is basically the same meal. Eat lots of healthy fats to satisfy hunger.

By the way prepare to be warned away from this as it is not the view shared by most on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Bruno26 wrote: »
    I had a diet similar to yours. I also ran a fair bit but not as much as you. I could never lose the fat until I did something like this.

Get rid of the breakfast cereal. Replace with meat, eggs, green veg, greek yogurt, berries some nuts.

Replace the sandwich with real food (meat, fish, veg)

Replace the potatoes, pasta with real food (meat, fish, veg.)

Your plate should 2/3 veg and 1/3 meat.

Last nights dinner (make twice as much) can be tomorrows lunch

Check out a previous thread for healthy snacks.

Now I live on meat, fish, eggs, dairy (cream, cheese, greek yogurt etc.) veg (mostly green), berries, nuts (macadamia and almonds), coffee.

Cooking dishes that last for 4-5 days makes it a lot easier- e.g. pot of chicken Korma, Tikka Masala. Start using butter, olive oil, garlic, spices etc. to enhance flavor. Lunch and dinner is basically the same meal. Eat lots of healthy fats to satisfy hunger.

By the way prepare to be warned away from this as it is not the view shared by most on here.

Thanks for that, would that be like the paleo diet basically? My only concern would be whether there is sufficient energy in a diet like that to sustain a pretty heavy training regime.

And just with regards to breakfast, you say replace the cereal (which I totally understand) with meat, eggs, green veg. For breakfast?! What sort of stuff would you eat for breakfast, the thoughts of eating meat or green veg first thing in the morning is pretty alarming! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Bruno26

pconn062 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, would that be like the paleo diet basically? My only concern would be whether there is sufficient energy in a diet like that to sustain a pretty heavy training regime.

And just with regards to breakfast, you say replace the cereal (which I totally understand) with meat, eggs, green veg. For breakfast?! What sort of stuff would you eat for breakfast, the thoughts of eating meat or green veg first thing in the morning is pretty alarming! :pac:

Combination of paleo and high fat low carb. Essentially it's just eating real food. but consuming less than 150 grams if carbs daily.

Fat not carbohydrate is the preferred fuel source for humans. Check out Tim Noakes. There are quite a few high profile ultra marathon runners who now follow high fat low carb.

For breakfast it's eggs (omelette with cheese and creme fraiche) and bacon. Perhaps add in spinach.

Or it's Greek yogurt with berries and cinnamon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

OP what are you training for?

What are your priorities weight loss or speed for racing/endurance/strength?

The HFLC Bruno is proposing doesn't work for a lot of people. It actually work for me, but I know as many it doesn't works as not.

It is not a one cap fits all solution.

If doing a lot of steady state endurance work, you can probably get by with little sugar or refined carbs.

Build our diet around real foods that you like, maybe choosing beans, lentils, etc as carb sources rather than processed bread, pasta etc.

Eat all the essential fats and protein your body needs, don't skimp here, eggs, fish, olive oil, good meat, avacado, whey(if necessary).

I would keep veg a priority in diet for fibre and micro nutrients and wouldn't shy away from fruit either, especially after training.

Adapt diet gradually and see what works for you.

If doing the running you suggest you will need fuel!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

ford2600 wrote: »
    OP what are you training for?

What are your priorities weight loss or speed for racing/endurance/strength?

The HFLC Bruno is proposing doesn't work for a lot of people. It actually work for me, but I know as many it doesn't works as not.

It is not a one cap fits all solution.

If doing a lot of steady state endurance work, you can probably get by with little sugar or refined carbs.

Build our diet around real foods that you like, maybe choosing beans, lentils, etc as carb sources rather than processed bread, pasta etc.

Eat all the essential fats and protein your body needs, don't skimp here, eggs, fish, olive oil, good meat, avacado, whey(if necessary).

I would keep veg a priority in diet for fibre and micro nutrients and wouldn't shy away from fruit either, especially after training.

Adapt diet gradually and see what works for you.

If doing the running you suggest you will need fuel!

When you lay it out like that it looks very simple and clear, thanks. I am essentially training for the cross country season for the next few months, so 6-10k races in the muck! For most of the year I am a 1500m/mile runner. I am essentially looking to lose some excess fat to make me leaner, a few pounds extra in my events makes a big difference. I was at the National T+F field champs last weekend and while I wasn't that much heavier than the other guys, I have a few extra pounds of fat around the mid-rift that is proving very stubborn to shift.

• Advertisement

pconn062 wrote: »
    When you lay it out like that it looks very simple and clear, thanks. I am essentially training for the cross country season for the next few months, so 6-10k races in the muck! For most of the year I am a 1500m/mile runner. I am essentially looking to lose some excess fat to make me leaner, a few pounds extra in my events makes a big difference. I was at the National T+F field champs last weekend and while I wasn't that much heavier than the other guys, I have a few extra pounds of fat around the mid-rift that is proving very stubborn to shift.

Your a different animal to me altogether.

You'll be needing some carbs for that type of running, especially where intensity is high and of decent duration.

Fat is a fine fuel for endurance but limited at your discipline I would think.

Have a look on optimumnutrition4sport.com you may get an idea or two. I can't help you much I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

ford2600 wrote: »
    Your a different animal to me altogether.

You'll be needing some carbs for that type of running, especially where intensity is high and of decent duration.

Fat is a fine fuel for endurance but limited at your discipline I would think.

Have a look on optimumnutrition4sport.com you may get an idea or two. I can't help you much I'm afraid.

I previously would have assumed the same as above but having been using a LCHF approach for a while now, I've adapted to it very well and I've been surprised at how I've performed in the faster 5k - 1/2 marathon events running a good few PB's recently. I originally adopted it for marathon running but I can see now that it is possible to translate the adaptation to shorter distances. That said, I'm not sure about a 1500m/mile, that's possibly pushing the boundaries.

As always though there's no one-size-fits-all, try it out P and see if it works for you though it does take some time to adapt but soon it just becomes a routine. It's also great to be able to have a delicious cheesy omelette every morning :) The idea anyway is that you're not avoiding carbs, you still consume them but you limit the amounts and time them correctly and that's what fuels you for your next session/race.

I have been following this approach for a while but I have gotten a personalised plan from Barry @ ON4S (as above) which fixed a few small things around timing and types of fat/carb to eat and I really feel it's working. Check out the site anyway for some good articles.

jebuz wrote: »
    I previously would have assumed the same as above but having been using a LCHF approach for a while now, I've adapted to it very well and I've been surprised at how I've performed in the faster 5k - 1/2 marathon events running a good few PB's recently. I originally adopted it for marathon running but I can see now that it is possible to translate the adaptation to shorter distances. That said, I'm not sure about a 1500m/mile, that's possibly pushing the boundaries.

As always though there's no one-size-fits-all, try it out P and see if it works for you though it does take some time to adapt but soon it just becomes a routine. It's also great to be able to have a delicious cheesy omelette every morning :) The idea anyway is that you're not avoiding carbs, you still consume them but you limit the amounts and time them correctly and that's what fuels you for your next session/race.

I have been following this approach for a while but I have gotten a personalised plan from Barry @ ON4S (as above) which fixed a few small things around timing and types of fat/carb to eat and I really feel it's working. Check out the site anyway for some good articles.

Can I ask what your macro breakdown is roughly?

I've only used it very ultra endurance cycling, 24hrs and the like events, and can't really advise OP on higher intensity stuff.

Saying that I know off a good few A2/3/4 cyclist using it for racing. You need to be smart with carb timing from what I've read/heard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Sure, I would estimate, and very roughly estimate 20% carbs / 40% fat & protein but to be honest it varies a lot depending on the intensity of training. For example on long run days, I'll up the carbs a little, same with high intensity sessions and I'll slightly lower it on easy days. I don't count calories, measure portions or obsess over macros it's all just by feel really and that works best for me. I think if I became too strict about my portions and macros I'd be bordering on going insane. I think the body is an extremely advanced system of chemicals that fluctuates day to day, it self regulates based on stress and environment so feeding it amounts measured to the exact gram doesn't really make sense for what I am trying to achieve.

Back on topic, yeah I find you do need to be smart with the timings, that's where I was falling short a little. All of my carbs will be consumed post training now, a shake of fruit/honey/whey within 15 mins is very important as the activated muscles soak that glucose right up like a sponge. Then for dinner it'll be typically spuds/brown rice/sweet potato with my meat and veg. Upping my veg intake with most meals keeps me satiated, i.e loads of salad.

How did you find the approach worked for endurance cycling? and respect to you btw, 24 hours on a bike, that is some serious going! sore arse? :D

jebuz wrote: »
    Sure, I would estimate, and very roughly estimate 20% carbs / 40% fat & protein but to be honest it varies a lot depending on the intensity of training. For example on long run days, I'll up the carbs a little, same with high intensity sessions and I'll slightly lower it on easy days. I don't count calories, measure portions or obsess over macros it's all just by feel really and that works best for me. I think if I became too strict about my portions and macros I'd be bordering on going insane. I think the body is an extremely advanced system of chemicals that fluctuates day to day, it self regulates based on stress and environment so feeding it amounts measured to the exact gram doesn't really make sense for what I am trying to achieve.

Back on topic, yeah I find you do need to be smart with the timings, that's where I was falling short a little. All of my carbs will be consumed post training now, a shake of fruit/honey/whey within 15 mins is very important as the activated muscles soak that glucose right up like a sponge. Then for dinner it'll be typically spuds/brown rice/sweet potato with my meat and veg. Upping my veg intake with most meals keeps me satiated, i.e loads of salad.

How did you find the approach worked for endurance cycling? and respect to you btw, 24 hours on a bike, that is some serious going! sore arse? :D

Have a read here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91033187&postcount=1

Same here have never use a scales(except when using cronometer to log a weeks food), just eat to appetite.

My breakdown is different to yours with fat as high as 60% fat but typically 55% with the rest 20/20ish. I use a ridiculous amount of oilve oil and generous coconut oil which helps to skew things.

Audax/Endurance cycling is really steady stuff and the main challenges are getting decent food in middle of nowhere at 11pm! My approach leaves me flexible, 200km without any food is well doable, by carrying nuts and maybe an apple or two that can be pushed close to 300km.

For a recent 1200km 4 day event it meant very little need for refuelling and when needed being able to eat something decent. The most common reason for failure on these events are metabolic; lads eating something that doesn't suit them coming back to haunt them.

Even if only have of my 13% bodyfat is available for energy it's an enormous energy store in comparison to my glycogen store. It seems the obvious choice for such events

Have since adapted training to much shorter/much higher intensity and haven't had any energy problems.

Since you asked comfort on bike is hardly ever an issue!

• Advertisement
Advertisement