Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcohol free cider, same calories as normal cider

Options
  • 25-07-2014 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have just noticed on MFP that the calories for Kopparberg Pear Alcohol Free and Kopparberg Pear (with alcohol) are the same.

Surely this can't be correct, I would have thought alcohol free would have at least 50% less calories as the alcohol free wine in Supervalu has 2/3 less calories than normal wine.

Could anyone clarify?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Probably has extra sugars added to increase the body of the cider as compensation for the lack of alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

irish_goat wrote: »
    Probably has extra sugars added to increase the body of the cider as compensation for the lack of alcohol.

That's disappointing :(

Bulmer's Light per can is only 140 calories, yet Kopparberg alcohol free is 240 calories. I wish Bulmer's did an alcohol free version.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

bulmer's light is less sugar not less alcohol IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

bluewolf wrote: »
    bulmer's light is less sugar not less alcohol IIRC

Correct, they added sweeteners to try and make it taste like bulmers. When it was announced I was hoping it was simply oging to be a dry version of bulmers.

OP what about diet cidona? cidona was actually developed to be a alcohol free version of cider for pubs. And was made by bulmers at one stage.

Cidona is actually made with fermeneted apple juice. And probably a hell of a lot cheaper than buying an alcohol free cider, unless you are in a pub where soft drinks are often more expensive per ml.

I would also search the manufacturers website, I have looked up loads of info on various alcoholic drinks, its one of the hardest thing to find correct info on. If the 2 drinks have the EXACT same calories I would guess its a mistake.

EDIT, myfitness pal shows
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/kopparberg-non-alcoholic-pear-cider-26734573

43g of sugar and 240kcal, this is incorrect, should be ~166kcal.

also regular cidona is just under 1/2 the sugar content of coke or regular apple juice, 115kcal per 500ml

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I used to love diet cidona. Didn't know they still made it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

bluewolf wrote: »
    I used to love diet cidona. Didn't know they still made it
    Looks like you are right, might not be out anymore. It doesn't show up on tesco.ie or mysupermarket.co.uk

lilt is another well known soft drink which is only about half the sugar of the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,578 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I love Lilt.

I used drink it and imagine I was Bunny Wailer*

* This may not be true

Advertisement