Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightcrawler - Jake Gyllenhaal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

buyer95 wrote: »
    Heading to the cinema tonight and will see either this or 71. Which one would people recommend?
    Nightcrawler without a doubt, thought 71 ran out of steam after half an hour and just became a pretty ordinary thriller.

This has so much more to it in terms of theme and character too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I couldn't decide, they're both brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

Can anybody think of a journalist in Ireland who arranged a murder for a news story?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Charlie Bird. Well known for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

catallus wrote: »
    Charlie Bird. Well known for it.

We'd better be careful with libel laws!;-) I think his claim to fame is that he failed the Leaving Cert!;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

e_e wrote: »
    Nightcrawler without a doubt, thought 71 ran out of steam after half an hour and just became a pretty ordinary thriller.

Cool thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Absolutely. 71 is a great film with a very good performance but Nightcrawler is simply better in both accounts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

A lot of people walking out of the cinema said it was crap. Not well received it seems.

I thought it was great, very very good.

They probably were expecting yet another by the books thriller. Their loss!

I saw this last night and thought it was fantastic. Film of the year for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Was gonna go see this tonight but the other option is The Skeleton twins. Has anybody seen both and if so which do you think is the better movie?
    Cheers

tunguska wrote: »
    Was gonna go see this tonight but the other option is The Skeleton twins. Has anybody seen both and if so which do you think is the better movie?
    Cheers
    I've seen both and again my choice is Nightcrawler. I actually think it's probably the best film still on release. :pac:

I did like The Skeleton Twins though but it's not something you should go out of your way to see on the big screen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Squeedily Spooch

I've seen both and again my choice is Nightcrawler. I actually think it's probably the best film still on release. :pac:

I did like The Skeleton Twins though but it's not something you should go out of your way to see on the big screen.

Nightcrawler and Whiplash are the two best non animated films I've seen so far this year, both were outstanding. There's not a hope that JK Simmons and Jake Gylenhaal won't be up for Oscars.

Seeing a preview of Whiplash this week. Excited. :)

Cool, Nightcrawler it is so.

So just back from this and it is a very well made film, that much is obvious. I went to see interstellar last week and that left me feeling all warm and fuzzy inside. But this is the exact opposite, left me feeling cold even though I did enjoy it. JG is brilliant, reminded me of Bobby D's character in The king of comedy(Rupert something or other?).
    Good movie but definitely a cold fish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Squeedily Spooch

Seeing a preview of Whiplash this week. Excited. :)

JK Simmons is absolutely fantastic in it, as is Miles Teller. The plot is pretty basic in a young student, intense teacher trying to get the best from them relationship so nothing groundbreaking, but it's just two fantastic actors going at it. The climactic 10-15 or so minutes is ridiculously intense and hands down the best scene of the year for me, it was actually exhausting to watch.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,249 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Watched night crawler last night and would agree with most of the sentiments on here already. It's a very good film in which JG is absolutely superb! He's a thoroughly dislikeable character that is more a sociopath than simply a loner. His though processes are clinical and without empathy and his language is completely all biz ed 101.
    The real startling point in the movie for me was the realisation that rene russos character is almost as calous as his, she becomes like a junkie needed a fix ......

8 / 10

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Really enjoyable film. He plays sociopathic really well.

Wtf was that ending??
    Was just getting really good and it's over. Like that?
    it's a toss between Nightcrawler and Most wanted man for the worst / most unsatisfactory ending of the year.

Nightcrawlers feels like a focus group ending..tacked on in post production..Doubt that's how the writer/director wanted it to end at all.

It deserved a much better and fleshed out conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Loved the premise for this, and I enjoyed it and his whole mentality stature in it :D, but was missing just a little something - dont know what though! Would see it again though!

david75 wrote: »

Wtf was that ending??
    it's a toss between Nightcrawler and Most wanted man for the worst / most unsatisfactory ending of the year.

Nightcrawlers feels like a focus group ending..tacked on in post production..Doubt that's how the writer/director wanted it to end at all.

It was a very fitting ending to me. Shows how capitalism incentivizes and rewards morally dubious behavior.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I know there was a line directed towards it but a red Dodge Charger with stripes being the car of choice for stakeouts, general sneakiness and storage for big camera equipment was hardly ideal. At least have it painted black!

Great movie though, would loved it if Gyllenhaal is at least nominated for Best actor though I suspect it's not material the Academy will like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

I really enjoyed this film. It's definitely one of the best I've seen this year. The main character is just a fantastic creation - pumped full of internet research and business jargon - and Gylenhaal really gets under the skin. It's also a really good looking movie, so much as one set in night-time LA can be.
    Wtf was that ending??

I don't see how it could have ended any other way. No point skewering the callousness of the media industry (or indeed business in general) and then wrapping it up with a saccharine morality tale at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Only posting now, but I saw this one last week. I really enjoyed it, I was impressed by Jake Gylenhall portrayal of a vulgar sociopath. When I read about a certain tragedy recently, I was reminded of the film. Saddens me of the reality of real people apparent lacking in a moral compass.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Wtf was that ending??

I thought it worked quite well, in amalgamating three things:
    • the business idea
      which Lou has clearly taken from the Mayhem team now that, as a result of Lou's sabotage, they're no longer in competition
    • Lou's adherence to the sharp end of capitalism with a shark-like grin all the way (
      formalising the internship setup under which Rick was originally drawn in
      ), and
    • the dark humour implicit in Lou's statement that
      "I'll never ask you to do anything I wouldn't do."

It wasn't really a plot film so much as a character piece, and I think the ending worked nicely in the context of Lou the amoral sociopath having finally found a field in which he can thrive and succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

I read this in another thread. Apparently Jake Gylenhall signed up fro this after the director pitched it as a success story.

What a weirdly brilliant movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Blee

Don't understand the fuss at all. Tedious film altogether. Good performance in fairness though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Career performance from Gyllenhaal,some elements reminded me of the 1969 film Medium Cool.

I would be appreciative if someone could tell me the make and model of the runners Lou was wearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭batnolan

I loved how subtle the movie was.

For example when Lou is interviewing his partner Rick at the restaurant regarding becoming Rick becoming Lou's partner, Rick greets him by saying "It's Lou isn't it?" and Lou replies "It's Louis."

However when the police detectives enter Lou's home they ask him, "Your name is Louis Bloom?" and Lou with a friendly smile responds "you can call me Lou."

The point being that Lou is well aware of the social power structure and is good at self-assessing where he is at in that power structure and how good of a manipulator he is.

Excellent movie and a great ending.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Saw it tonight and it was like watching Alien for the first time.

I knew bad things were going to happen and was quite unsettled by Lou.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    I know there was a line directed towards it but a red Dodge Charger with stripes being the car of choice for stakeouts, general sneakiness and storage for big camera equipment was hardly ideal. At least have it painted black!

Great movie though, would loved it if Gyllenhaal is at least nominated for Best actor though I suspect it's not material the Academy will like.

Dodge Challenger, Sorry its my favourite car

• Advertisement

Just after watching this and I think that all I can really say is "Wow". It has been a long time since I saw a film which just completely bowled me over, Nightcrawler is as close to perfection as cinema can get. A dark and adult character study that isn't afraid to paint it's lead as a truly despicable human being. There's not a story as such here but rather we follow a journey down deep into the rabbit hole. Gyllenhaal is superb here, he owns the film and his ability to not blink gives Lou an otherworldly look that's incredibly creepy. He looks and acts like an alien whom has some idea of how humans work but no understanding of the nuances. Riz Ahmed while briefly used was a wonderful counterpart to Lou, he was the conscience that the film used perfectly.

Sitting here trying to think of anything negative to say about the film and there's not a thing, well apart from the fact that it had to end. The two hours flew by and I would happily sit through them again tomorrow morning. And before I forget, the use of score is fantastic. There's a real sense that the cues we here are those which play in Lou's head as he reacts to a situation.

Advertisement