Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeless in 2 weeks - advice please

Options
124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

NipNip wrote: »
    Ok - you've wandered into the area of pedantry..............

You do not pay 41% tax on the whole of your income.
    You do not pay 4% PRSI or USC on the whole of your income.
    You pay a certain level above a certain percentage.
    It falls well short of a net tax rate of 50%.

Whatever amount of tax you pay, does not entitle you to become sort of Attila the Hun in relation to how taxes are spent in this country. That's democracy for ya! ;)

The top 20% of earners pay nearly 71% of all PAYE, PRSI, and USC. So why should our taxes pay for people who have never worked a day in their life.

Also when the majority if you income in taxed at these higher rates then yes it is the net tax you pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭LordNorbury

The top 20% of earners pay nearly 71% of all PAYE, PRSI, and USC. So why should our taxes pay for people who have never worked a day in their life.

Also when the majority if you income in taxed at these higher rates then yes it is the net tax you pay.

There is serious merit to this argument. I know a girl in her late 20's who has 3 kids by 3 different fathers and has become completely welfare dependent. Meanwhile I'm a single guy with no kids, I couldn't afford to have kids so I never had kids. When I go on Facebook, she reghularly updates and it sickens my hole to see the luxury she appears to be living in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

There is serious merit to this argument. I know a girl in her late 20's who has 3 kids by 3 different fathers and has become completely welfare dependent. Meanwhile I'm a single guy with no kids, I couldn't afford to have kids so I never had kids. When I go on Facebook, she reghularly updates and it sickens my hole to see the luxury she appears to be living in.

;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 656 ✭✭✭NipNip

The top 1% of earners probably pay 90% of that. And that is at a rate of 1% 'artist' rate lmao.

PucaMama wrote: »
    ;)

When I say "appears", I mean she seems to be out on the town regularly, also can afford to do a sun holiday every year. Maybe she is budgeting very carefully but has a money tree in the back garden but she looks to me to be living the life of Reilly, and the taxpayer appears to be paying for it (given that she doesn't work).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

The top 1% of earners probably pay 90% of that. And that is at a rate of 1% 'artist' rate lmao.

The top 1% of earners in Ireland earn on average 400,000+ a year and pay 38% of the total tax bill. So no they don't pay 90% of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

If you ring 1800 454 454 you can self refer to the homeless action team run in conjunction with threshold. They have access to a community welfare officer who is allowed to use discretion to increase rent allowance on a case by case basis. Otherwise they may offer some advice and what to do.

In the mean time keep looking for cheaper places if you can get get a list of three cheaper properties in the area that are still above the rent allowance cap you they are more likely to review it based on Market rate. I would also advise looking far and wide doing everything you can to avoid homelessness.

<Mod Snip>

If the worst happens and you and your family do become homeless present to your local council that morning. If you are in the Dublin City Council area present to Parkgate hall, 6-9 Conyngham road, between 10am-12pm Monday to friday. outside those times the homeless helpline is 1800 707 707. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Rachiee wrote: »
    Also just to say its quite difficult to forcibly remove a tenant if you do overstay your notice and can take a few weeks/months so that buys you extra time...
    This is disgusting advice. Shame on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

When I say "appears", I mean she seems to be out on the town regularly, also can afford to do a sun holiday every year. Maybe she is budgeting very carefully but has a money tree in the back garden but she looks to me to be living the life of Reilly, and the taxpayer appears to be paying for it (given that she doesn't work).

id say its more a case of the grass is greener. plus people are encouraged to divert their anger to the less well off and the unemployed instead of the people that have caused the financial issues.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Zulu wrote: »

Leave the moderation to the mods please and thanks. /Mod

• Advertisement

I think it is called due process. You have to follow it as far as I know. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I think it is called due process. You have to follow it as far as I know. :rolleyes:
    Save your :rolleyes:, "due process" isn't overstaying your notice, it's leaving on the agreed date.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

What do you mean she is living somewhere way above where she can afford? This is more of it, this uniquely Irish petty mindedness that dictates that we should work in the Coombe Hospital but yet at the same time live in Kinnegad?!?

A friend of mine lives practically next door to The Coombe, it's on the same street and a stones throw away. She has a 1 bed apartment that she's paying €750 a month for. I suggest that your friend should consider moving somewhere she isn't being ripped off!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭HelenV

Sjoh123 wrote: »
    I understand that, and if my eldest would move with me that wouldn't be an issue having to leave Dublin but he's 12 now and wants to be here he's been here his whole life

12 year olds don't always get what they want - none of us do.

I'm a lone parent and when my children were small we penny pinched to our very limit in order to keep the roof over our heads.

Unfortunately the country is bankrupt - we're broke.

I presume you're not working but I could be wrong. If you move to a smaller town you may find work relatively close to your home to help support your family. You can do it - lots of us struggled and got by.

Agreed but there are lots of single parents who receive absolutely nothing.

Just saying...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I know a separated mum with 2 kids who also happens to have MS. She works full time and gets nothing from the state, or her ex husband, who is on the dole for years and is fond of the odd spliff. She would be far better off on the dole.

I can imagine those things. But then reality kicks in. ;)

Is it imagined reality though?

It's more than possible to move home as a single parent - even from overseas. Never expected anyone to be responsible for my 'rights' either. That was my own responsibility.

professore wrote: »
    I know a separated mum with 2 kids who also happens to have MS. She works full time and gets nothing from the state, or her ex husband, who is on the dole for years and is fond of the odd spliff. She would be far better off on the dole.

That is sooooo true.

Save your :rolleyes:, "due process" isn't overstaying your notice, it's leaving on the agreed date.

And forcing your way into a house and kicking someone out onto the street, where a dispute has arisen in relation to a tenancy agreement/contract, isn't legal either, this isn't Ethiopia... Eviction has to follow a process that is prescribed by law. Someone being advised to follow that procedure and that process, where the property owner has failed to follow the proper procedure, is not being given bad advice.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

And forcing your way into a house and kicking someone out onto the street, where a dispute has arisen in relation to a tenancy agreement/contract, isn't legal either, this isn't Ethiopia... Eviction has to follow a process that is prescribed by law. Someone being advised to follow that procedure and that process, where the property owner has failed to follow the proper procedure, is not being given bad advice.

The issue is- you and other posters are spelling this out as a mechanism for tenants to get away without paying their rent in the knowledge they can play the system for a protracted period of time, without vacating the property- and without paying rent........

Next person who goes down this road- is getting a ban- I've issued 5 warnings and infractions today so far- and I am pissed- if you can't follow the forum's charter and try to 'help' tenants get away without paying rent- regardless of the actions of others- you are going to get a ban.

I'm actually furious- I've spent the last 2 hours cleaning up crap in this forum- I'm not going to bother warning people any more- follow the forum rules- or face the consequences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,823 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

HelenV wrote: »
    Agreed but there are lots of single parents who receive absolutely nothing.

Just saying...

Ahh, no, there aren't.

If they're not working, they get Lone Parents benefit.

If they are, they get a tax credit equivalent to(*) the married rate - without ever having to have been married. And that's on top of their child benefit.

(*) actually it may be more than the married rate one.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭La Haine

Hey there,

Just wondering, but does social welfare nowadays pay that much that you could actually squirrel away enough money to buy a 2nd hand car?, with enough left over then to tax and insure it? And to put petrol into it?

Sweet if it does!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=89226765

La Haine wrote: »
    Hey there,

Just wondering, but does social welfare nowadays pay that much that you could actually squirrel away enough money to buy a 2nd hand car?, with enough left over then to tax and insure it? And to put petrol into it?

Sweet if it does!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=89226765

Seriously.....you didn't read our charter either did you?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭La Haine

Seriously.....you didn't read our charter either did you?

Yikes! No, I didn't.
    Sozzy!

La Haine - don't post in this thread again

Advertisement