Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family Holidays in Ireland

Options
  • 24-07-2014 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭

Was talking about this with some other Boardsies who are absolute idiots and whose parents don't even love them, wondering what ye mad f*ckers in AH think. :D

Aren't they absolutely terrible? I've had about 8 ones I despised, and 2 I enjoyed in Killarney and Dingle. :)

My worst one was in Bunratty. We went there when I was about 12 or 13, it rained for a whole week, and there was nothing near us but a pub that wouldn't allow us in after 9 o'clock. We just went back to the house at 9 every night and got up at 7 the next morning, looked at some rocks and shít for ages and went back to the holiday home. There was no television so we couldn't even watch the Olympics. Bad times.

:(

Do you like Irish Holidays?

Do you like holidaying in Ireland? 61 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 61 votes

Comments

I like them :)

If you have the weather then it's a great place to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Ould Mr Brennan

New Ireland in new Guinea. Apparently its better than the old Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Holidays for most kids in Ireland in the 70s and 80s (and perhaps beyond) just basically meant: going to wherever the fcuk it was your cousins lived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Holidays for most kids in Ireland in the 70s and 80s (and perhaps beyond) just basically meant: going to wherever the fcuk it was your cousins lived.

And pray to fcuk they had their turf and hay home before you went.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I have always preferred holidays in Ireland to those abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Always said that if we were guaranteed "decent" weather for 2 months of the year there is no better place to holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Went on holidays in Ireland once - was wild - I got to stay up until ten past eleven

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

My worst one was in Bunratty. We went there when I was about 12 or 13, it rained for a whole week, and there was nothing near us but a pub that wouldn't allow us in after 9 o'clock. We just went back to the house at 9 every night and got up at 7 the next morning, looked at some rocks and shít for ages and went back to the holiday home. There was no television so we couldn't even watch the Olympics. Bad times.

Ah Musha !!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

vicwatson wrote: »
    Always said that if we were guaranteed "decent" weather for 2 months of the year there is no better place to holiday

I'd agree, but usually our summers are absolute shíte, besides the last two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

and shít for ages

It was just bad luck you were ill.

But that can happen anytime, shame it spoiled your hols!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

When I was a kid we only ever went on holidays in Ireland.

I loved them, my favourite places were Trabolgan and Youghal.

Family holidays in Ireland are so expensive!. Went to Tayto Park yesterday, €55 to get in and then from €2 to €4 for each go on the good rides.
    Brought picnic so didn't have to buy food there which would have been expensive too. But ice creams and cold drinks needed because of the heat. In excess of €100 for the trip.
    Have done the staycation for many years. Kerry, Cork, Mayo, Galway and if you get the weather it can be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

I love Ireland, rain, hail, snow or sun. I wouldn't let the weather hold me back. If you live in Ireland you must learn to dance in the rain. :) I love hiking so I am going to be slightly biased. We are so lucky with our landscape, it wouldn't be half as green and full of life without the rain.

I love travelling but no where compares to Ireland for me. :P :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I like to go to the west coast. Some great places there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

You can work your way around the Irish weather- When it was absolutely lashing out of the heavens-I took the family over the Healy pass and there were waterfalls and Cascades everywhere,got back to see torc waterfall afterwards too. Its about the best time to appreciate how majestic the Powerscourt and glenmacnass(?) waterfalls are after a deluge.

Dark skies and windy conditions? The west coast is a must,to feel the Power of the Atlantic as it bashes the jagged rocks under a melancholy sky is much more appealing than on a calm blue sky day.

And I Believe that we still have the best pubs in the whole World.

<3 Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

We used to do day trips to Bunratty, it's a right bore all right, the medieval park thing whatever you call it was/is complete rubbish. On one trip a mother duck attacked me in the petting zoo, I remember my father pulling me back over the fence and the man in charge kicking the duck.

A few nice holidays I remember were in Wexford, we stayed down around Hook Head one trip, beautiful part of the world.

A more recent one I did was Achill, I thought that was spectacular even though the weather wasn't great, lovely walks and scenery, a nice peaceful place where you can get away from people.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Schalker

I have always preferred holidays in Ireland to those abroad.

Holidays in ireland are holidays abroad ;o))

Spent a week each year in springtime in Ireland (last five years)
    and already planning next years trip.

There is so much to see and to do

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Yes but it's very expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

If you're lucky to get decent weather, It's hard to think of places better than West Cork or Kerry for a short holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭hairycakes

Just spent the weekend in Kerry, Glenbeigh to be exact. Absolutely beautiful. We were blessed with the weather and spent the majority of the time on the beach. Went to the aquadome Saturday morning which is expensive but we had a great time and were there for nearly 4 hours. I love travelling and seeing other countries but I honestly prefer seeing different parts of Ireland. It is a shame things to do are so expensive though.
    I enjoyed our family holiday when I was younger for the most part. The worst one though was camping in Kerry. The weather was terrible. My parents had planned it so we would travel around the ring of Kerry and pitch up at a different location each night. There were at least three evenings of trying to erect a tent in the p*ssing rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Packrat

If you're clever, its not ragingly expensive either.

Plenty of accommodation in Killarney all through the height of summer for €30/head sharing.
    We have some amazing hostels - I'm thinking of Ennis, Doolin, Belfast, Galway- (if you shop around and don't just go to Snoozles) for sensible money too.

Ask your local Polish or Spanish friend how they holiday here, and they'll set you right.

As I travel around, I see "new Irish" making more use of all the wonderful FREE facilities and indeed activities we have here than native Irish, who blow the budget on some ridiculous "5star" (most of them aren't even close) hotel and then get rode sideways on activities because they "cant think of anything else to do" and all for the want of a little research and planning.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Airports and all the associated cr@p is not worth the hassle when you have young children

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

My wife and I brought the kids to Mountshannon in Clare (near Killaloe) the weekend before last. Beautiful spot. They have a really lovely park which has a proper maze in it (my kids call it the maze park and it's their favourite place in the world)
    We camped in the Lakeside caravan park nearby and had a great time. You can rent out a boat for 25 euros a day and go see Holy Island. There is a swimming area in mountshannon with a lifeguard during the summer and the UL water activity centre is close by as well.

We went to Glengariff in Cork a few years ago and it was brilliant, and we were in kerry last year near Sneem and had a great time (although there wasn't as many places to bring the kids and the weather was a bit chilly. We took a trip out to Skellig Michael which was something I've always wanted to do and it was well worth the trip.

Ireland has some great holiday destinations but it is very expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Airports and all the associated cr@p is not worth the hassle when you have young children

I have had the opposite experience with children in airports, you get to skips a lot of the queues, it's great. Take the buggy to the airplane door, someone takes it off you, folds it up and puts it in the hold, and then someone is waiting when you get off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Its ok. Cant beat a couple of weeks in the sun though, its a great feeling being away from it all and feel the warm water and sand between your toes as you go for a walk along the beach.

It's so depressing when it's all over though.

That flight home...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭jack of all

We had some wonderful trips in Ireland this year in both Counties Wexford and Clare. Weather helped greatly of course but we do live in a beautiful green country and on a good day it can't be beaten. As others have said the only downside is cost, especially for families and the one thing that really annoys me is that family admission tickets or deals are generally confined to 2 adults plus 2 children, any additional children are charged as an extra which gets expensive for families like ours (3 children). The key to holidaying in Ireland on a budget is bringing a picnic and dressing appropriately for the weather to make the most of the outdoors. Looking forward to Summer '15 in Ireland!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Tommy Dillon

Some of the nicest places on earth are along the west coast. Clare and Kerry in particular. Unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Im of the belief that if we get the weather, there is no place better than Ireland.

In the last year I have done 5 dream Ireland holidays and enjoyed every one of them, there is so much diversity here. Going to Donegal is completely different to going to Tipperary or Banna strand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Packrat wrote: »
    If you're clever, its not ragingly expensive either..

Any time we've holidayed in Ireland we've managed to find a nice sized family house for between 300-400 quid a week in places like Dingle, Skib, Kenmare etc.

That said, the other costs (like eating out or stuff for the kids to do) are pretty high.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Holidays in Ireland are practically as expensive as travel abroad to numerous locations. If you like Ireland then do it but personally I like to see other places.

Advertisement