Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible cause of blisters near ball of foot

Options
  • 24-07-2014 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

GF took up running end of last year from never running in her life before. All going well bar the last few weeks since upping the weekly mileage she has started getting blisters and callus skin near the ball of the foot. Can't describe the exact place other than showing a pic below. She is a mid foot striker, wears proper running socks and believes the shoes (Mizuno Wave Inspires) are a good fit.

What can cause blisters and callus skin in this area (in red below)?

315759.jpeg

315760.jpeg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

that looks like that I have on both my feet and as far as I remember, it's just a function of increasing mileage. The skin will eventually get tough enough that it doesn't blister.
    I was on holidays recently and did feck all running and when I got back into it when I got home, I got blisters in the same place. They're gone again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,506 ✭✭✭✭28064212

viperlogic wrote: »
    What can cause blisters and callus skin in this area (in red below)?
    Running!

But yeah, what PaulieC said, calluses will form, and the blisters will stop. If she's not already wearing them, I find the "1000 mile" socks to be fantastic. Other than that, she should make sure her foot is dry before putting on her socks and runners.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

As has already been said - it just looks like normal running feet to me !

I was away for a week, did no running and lots of walking on the sand and had beautiful silky smooth feet when I got back - a couple of weeks back running and its blisterville again ( although they ease up after a week or so)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 lbucko

viperlogic wrote: »
    and believes the shoes (Mizuno Wave Inspires) are a good fit.
    Making sure they are a good fit would be no harm. I started getting blisters when I first increased my mileage. Gait analysis and a pair of shoes that fitted properly solved it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Does she wear heals a lot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

rom wrote: »
    Does she wear heals a lot?

v v rarely

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

If I was to hazard a guess your friend is a late stage over pronator and as such is rotating over the ball of the foot causing pressure on the side of the big toe rather than under it.

The Inspire is a great shoe for over pronators but very flexible in the forefoot and can be twisted as the foot moves through the gait cycle. Do you run together? If so drop back 2 or 3 meters and watch what her feet are doing. If the foot looks stable on landing and full weight but the heel tends to lift inwards towards the centre line then the shoe is not supporting the middle of the foot properly.

There are shoes for this but a pedicure and strengthening exercise will stabilise the feet and off she goes again.

Advertisement