Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hybrid vs Road bike

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Daroxtar wrote: »
    So can hybrids. And they're much better off road.

But we're not talking about off road at all.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Lumen wrote: »
    To a degree, but some people with back problems are still not capable of being comfortable on a relaxed geometry road bike.

I also think that once you get a certain amount of uprightness in a road bike it becomes a bit of a pointless choice as the handling goes to pot.

A hybrid with disc brakes will brake better than a road bike with less effort in the wet, take wider tyres which some people find more pleasing to use, and be better able to cope with child seats (front or rear) without upsetting the handling.

Most bicycles in the world are not drop-bar road bikes, and it's worth considering why that is.

Most bikes aren't drop bar road bike because most cyclist in the world are not going on 60km plus cycles, they're getting from A to B comfortably.

Let's remember what the OP is looking for: a bike to commute on and to use
    For longer spins. A road bike is the best option.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

Another point (in favour of the road bike) to consider: wearing lycra on a hybrid just looks silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Brian? wrote: »
    Let's remember what the OP is looking for: a bike to commute on and to use for longer spins. A road bike is the best option.

The commute in question is 3km. A 3km commute takes under well ten minutes. A unicycle would do that distance.

I'm not recommending a hybrid, I'm just trying to add some balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

Another point (in favour of the road bike) to consider: wearing lycra on a hybrid just looks silly.
    OP, you have now been presented with an array of persuasive arguments in favour of a road bike. But this is surely the clincher.

If you are daft enough to choose a hybrid and then heap further unwisdom upon that choice by also wearing lyrca, you need to be aware that somebody might express mild disapproval on an internet forum.

Would you be willing to pay that price? Well, would you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 phelimoc

Cheers for all the extremely opinionated replies!

Went down this evening anyway and went for the road bike. Figured it's the best all round choice based on everything I've heard. Now just have to wait to catch the bug...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

lol, OP made right choice then not to incur the wrath of bike snobs everywhere.

It's off the charts in this forum :rolleyes:

mrcheez wrote: »
    lol, OP made right choice then not to incur the wrath of bike snobs everywhere.

It's off the charts in this forum :rolleyes:

I am a bike snob, but the choice of a road bike over a hybrid is nothing to do with snobbery. A road bike is objectively better for the OP.

I won't roll my eyes, that would be silly.

they/them/theirs

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

phelimoc wrote: »

Went down this evening anyway and went for the road bike. Figured it's the best all round choice based on everything I've heard. Now just have to wait to catch the bug...

Congrats. If the bike is being used for commuting, even if you think the parking is secure, get a really good U lock as new road bikes attract thieving scumbags like flies on shíte. Consensus is that chains aren't up to the job, and cheap locks are asking for trouble. This thread is worth a read.

Lumen wrote: »
    People who buy a hybrid then switch to a road bike feel a pleasing sense of progression.

Certainly worked this way for me. If also introduced that obscure object of desire; Bike n+1

• Advertisement

What did you get?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

You don't wait to catch the bug, you get up on the bike and go for a spin, then you find a few like minded souls and go for spins with them and start to notice that you're getting faster and can go on for longer, next thing you know you're doing a sportive with the aforementioned like minded souls, "To see if I can get around", when you find yourself busting a gut to the finish to get in ahead of your mates you've contracted a terminal case I'm afraid.

Enjoy taking it out for a spin this weekend ;)

I am a bike snob, but the choice of a road bike over a hybrid is nothing to do with snobbery in this case.

FYP ... other posts seem to suggest that road bikes are better than hybrids in all cases, but as we've outlined already this isn't always the case for people who get back/neck pain as was my original comment.

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i too am a bit bemused at the forcefulness of some of the 'advice' to go for a road bike; the OP (as far as i can see) never mentioned how long the longer cycles (s)he intends to go on, except that they would be longer than 3km.
    if it's for a leisurely 10km spin around the phoenix park, for example, there's little benefit in drop handlebars.

most of the pro-road bike advice above seems to presume that the OP has the intention of becoming a lycra warrior, with no evidence of that yet provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Only one way to settle this...

A dance off!

I'll wager 400 quatloos on the newcomer

fat-cyclist-in-lycra.jpg

mrcheez wrote: »
    FYP ... other posts seem to suggest that road bikes are better than hybrids in all cases, but as we've outlined already this isn't always the case for people who get back/neck pain as was my original comment.

I'd say the main overlooked advantage of hybrids for those doing short spins at a moderate pace is price. You can pick up the likes of a Giant Escape 3 for €375 from CSS, which is comfy, well built, and a good all rounder. No reason to lash out a grand on any bike unless you're planning on doing a fair amount of cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

i too am a bit bemused at the forcefulness of some of the 'advice' to go for a road bike; the OP (as far as i can see) never mentioned how long the longer cycles (s)he intends to go on, except that they would be longer than 3km.
    if it's for a leisurely 10km spin around the phoenix park, for example, there's little benefit in drop handlebars.

most of the pro-road bike advice above seems to presume that the OP has the intention of becoming a lycra warrior, with no evidence of that yet provided.

I've had a road bike for three years, and for two of those years it never did more than fifteen kilometres in one go. I was still glad I made the switch from the hybrid, though - and now I'm doing middle-distance spins, I'm doubly glad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 phelimoc

What did you get?

A Scott speedster 40... Seemed fairly solid and I liked it on the test spin.

Can't say I know an awful lot about bike brands, but even knowing the name Scott was enough for me.

*waiting for enthusiasts to judge me*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

That's a nice bike. I hope you enjoy it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

Can't say I know an awful lot about bike brands, but even knowing the name Scott was enough for me.

Just wait until they twig it is a triple.........

(have a triple myself and use the full range of sprockets depending on whether going flat or up)

BTW, nice bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

blobbie wrote: »
    Just wait until they twig it is a triple.........

Ah jaysus, a triple :eek: You may as well put stabilisers on it ;)

Nice one. Well wear.

No matter what bike you get someone will judge you. I only judge people who don't buy road bikes ;).

they/them/theirs

Advertisement