Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Commonwealth Games Thread

Options
  • 23-07-2014 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭

I think this event deserves it's own thread. Sure the standard in some of the T&F events will be fairly weak, but there is a lot of great stuff as well with the likes of Rudisha and KJT among others

Also plenty of Irish interest with the NI team.

From a personal point of view I'm looking forward to watching a few of the Aussie team who I have got to know on a personal basis from my time down there. First time I have been genuinely interested in the Games.

Should be a great atmosphere in Glasgow and I'd expect fairly big crowds.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I think this event deserves it's own thread. Sure the standard in some of the T&F events will be fairly weak, but there is a lot of great stuff as well with the likes of Rudisha and KJT among others

Also plenty of Irish interest with the NI team.

From a personal point of view I'm looking forward to watching a few of the Aussie team who I have got to know on a personal basis from my time down there. First time I have been genuinely interested in the Games.

Should be a great atmosphere in Glasgow and I'd expect fairly big crowds.

Has KJT not pulled out due to a foot injury?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

tang1 wrote: »
    Has KJT not pulled out due to a foot injury?

Ahhh don't say that! :(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Ahhh don't say that! :(:(

Yip, shes gone alright. Withdrew yesterday with a foot injury. Less eye-candy on show so!!

tang1 wrote: »
    Yip, shes gone alright. Withdrew yesterday with a foot injury. Less eye-candy on show so!!

On the plus side maybe there's a chance she may do the Heptathlon in Zurich now, rather than just the long jump.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Anyone have the TV schedule. When is the marathon on. Wondering how Steve Way will get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

rom wrote: »
    Anyone have the TV schedule. When is the marathon on. Wondering how Steve Way will get on.

I say all the information is on the website for the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

And now Mo Farah pulls out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Deano7788 wrote: »
    And now Mo Farah pulls out.

Seen that, focusing his efforts on the Euro champs*. Big loss for the organisers.

* Or avoiding the Kenyans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

pconn062 wrote: »
    Seen that, focusing his efforts on the Euro champs*. Big loss for the organisers.

* Or avoiding the Kenyans?

Weather he's in good shape or not it's doubtful he'll be beaten in the Euros. Don't think he would have won the Commonwealth Games though, especially if it's a fast race.

Pity really that he's not racing and with Bolt only competing in the relay. At least they can't take the limelight away from other athletes performances!

Jason Smyth finished 5th in his heat. Think the time was around 10.66 from memory.

Finding these endless amount of 100m heats a complete grind. 9 in the men's, and God knows how many in the women's to follow. 5000m final coming up though at the end of the afternoon.

• Advertisement

Standard is not great either, say a couple of 11+ second runs in the men's heats. Conditions don't seem to be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Amy Foster 2nd in her heat with a decent run (11.55ish IIRC)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

Zane Robertson 3rd in the 5000m in 13:16. His brother Jake had a bad fall with 2 laps to go but still managed 13:29 for 8th place. A good run by England's Andy Vernon too for 6th with a time of 13:22.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

British shot champion Zane Duquemin (Jersey) into the final in 9th with 18.90m.

Amy Foster ran 11.54ish in the semi final. Failed to qualify.

Loving the decathlon here. Steve Cain from Melbourne having a cracking first day. 3819 points overall. SB in every event except shot, and just 1cm off lifetime best in high jump. Very close to day 1 PB. Down in 12th, but he's a very strong day 2 athlete, so looking good for a big total and top 8 placing maybe.

VCB beaten. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,642 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Beaten well aswell.

VCB beaten. :)

Just a shame a John Smith athlete was the one who beat her!!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭unichick

Just a shame a John Smith athlete was the one who beat her!!

Why is that? Drugs?

Enjoying the commonwealths more than I thought I would. First time I've watched them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

what events is usain Bolt running in for these games?

• Advertisement

syngindub wrote: »

4x100 relay

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MikeSD

Just the 100m relay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Deano7788 wrote: »
    4x100 relay

is that it? how come he is not running the 100M or 200M ?

is that it? how come he is not running the 100M or 200M ?

Wasn't fit for the Jamaican champs which are the qualifiers for this. Top 3 get selected.

unichick wrote: »
    Why is that? Drugs?

Enjoying the commonwealths more than I thought I would. First time I've watched them!

I'll let you Google John Smith yourself!

Great piece of 400m running from Martin Rooney there, looked good. Great 10,000m race earlier, not fast but very tactical and came down to the last 20m. Looking forward to the women's 1500m later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Great 10,000m race earlier, not fast but very tactical and came down to the last 20m.

Great result for Kate Avery. Delighted for her after the farce that was the selection issue for the World indoors earlier this year

Montsho loses the bronze because she didn't dip. The second year in a row this has happened. It really is inexcusable for an athlete of that level to forget the mere basics of the sport like that.

Steve Cain having a cracking day 2 and has raced up the standings from 12th to 5th overall A 4:31.3 in the 1500m will secure a new PB. His 1500m PB is 4:31 so could be close.

Women's heptathlon hotting up nicely between the 2 Canadians.

• Advertisement

Love watching the decathlon 1500m, always makes me feel better about my own 1500m achievements! :pac:

Advertisement