Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2014 Commonwealth Games (July 23 - August 3)

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭smacg

The BBC have gone way OTT on the coverage of these games. They have overestimated the level of interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

smacg wrote: »
    The BBC have gone way OTT on the coverage of these games. They have overestimated the level of interest.

Always do for "Home" games same with Manchester

• Registered Users Posts: 39,501 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Id say a fair amount of interest in the UK and not like they'd be showing much original stuff this time of year anyway. I'm enjoying their coverage anyway and the nightly highlights show has hit the right mix of review and light entertainment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 j72twr6f4e5ako

I'm afraid I can't agree with that. I'm loving the coverage. It's a total sportfest for a couple of weeks and my family are loving it. I prefer my licence fee being spent on this rather than Eastenders tbh. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

What are you basing that opinion on? Just because you're not interested doesn't mean plenty of other people aren't. Wish there were more hours in the day to be able to watch it all.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,485 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

There is a massive appetite for thsi sort of stuff in the UK. The demand for tickets was way beyond what there was in 2002. The whole thing has benefitted from the "feel-good factor" generated by the 2012 Olympics and Paralympics

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭smacg

robinph wrote: »
    What are you basing that opinion on? Just because you're not interested doesn't mean plenty of other people aren't. Wish there were more hours in the day to be able to watch it all.

Im basing my opinion on that its non-stop all day from 9am to about midnight on the main channel, plus 4 or 5 red button channels, plus non-stop on Radio 5. No-one I know is particularly interested. Whats on now at 9.30 primetime....10m womens board diving..Im sure we all tuning in for that. For the Olympics fair enough but not this fairly meaningless competition with a ragbag group of countries participating where even the best athletes haven't turned up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Im basing my opinion on that its non-stop all day from 9am to about midnight on the main channel, plus 4 or 5 red button channels, plus non-stop on Radio 5. No-one I know is particularly interested. Whats on now at 9.30 primetime....10m womens board diving..Im sure we all tuning in for that. For the Olympics fair enough but not this fairly meaningless competition with a ragbag group of countries participating where even the best athletes haven't turned up.
    So no-one you know is particularly interested that doesn't mean plenty of others are not?
    The Commonwealth games are not fairly meaningless and how is it a ragbag group of countries? Some of the top countries in Australia, Britain(in its 4 component parts), New Zealand compete.
    Ragbag group of countries is a bit OTT

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

...and how much are you paying towards the license fee?

Some sports it may not be the greatest field in the world. But others there are most of the major countries taking part, plenty of world record holders competing, or would be if they were not injured. Then you have different sports that don't usually get an outing on a world stage multi-sports championship and it is great exposure for them. Only the Olympics and Asian Games are bigger multi sports championships.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,501 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Lawn Bowls has been my guilty pleasure of these games I must say. Looks like a nice enjoyable game to play also.

36 of the 71 countries/territories have now own medals so over 50%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,307 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

These multi-sport events are the business alright, and the BBC always do a superb job, particularly when they are the host broadcaster.

Most here probably know, but for those who don't there is a European Olympic Games now with the first host being Baku next June.
    Pretty much all the standard Olympic sports with a few missing (rowing, tennis) and a few variations (3x3 basketball, beach soccer).
    Hopefully it gets the full 24 hour coverage for the two weeks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Games
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_European_Games

• Registered Users Posts: 18,085 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Michael Conlon and Michaela Walsh have secured silvers already today and are through to tomorrow's finals.

Michaela Walsh is an interesting prospect and one to watch. She boxes at a different weight to Katie Taylor, is only 21 and it wouldn't be a surprise to see her on our Olympic team.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Paddy Barnes and Joe Fitzpatrick also through to their respective finals in the evening session.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,318 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Paddy Barnes has received his gold medal for Northern Ireland in the Flyweight Boxing medal ceremony in the last few minutes while on BBC 1 HD.

Danny boy was being played as the anthem for NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,318 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Congratulations to Michael Conlon who has won his gold medal after beating England's Qais Ashfaq in the Bantamweight Boxing final by 3 points to nil at the Hydro Stadium in Glasgow.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Michaela Walsh was unlucky to lose on a spilt decision to Nicola Adams (the Olympic Champion) earlier today. She wasn't happy with the decision at all.

Hopefully she'll get her revenge down the line. Rio would be a nice place to settle the account!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Would your appetite be whetted if the Commonwealth Games featured hurling? You could have a cracking contest between Ulster, England, Australia and Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

feargale wrote: »
    Would your appetite be whetted if the Commonwealth Games featured hurling? You could have a cracking contest between Ulster, England, Australia and Canada.

I'd say Scotland would do better than England, given that they have Shinty.

Advertisement