Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long have you been running?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Condo131

I've been running 30 years since June 30th last. I started on holidays, when I ran flat out for about half a mile on the beach.:eek:, I had to lie dow for 10 mins to recover, before I could go back. Did take it easy? Nope, same again. 8pm in the evening, and I had to go straight to bed...totally wrecked. LOL. Scary thing is that, if I was a coronary case, I'd have been gone that day!

3 Months later, I ran my first race, 10k, in 46:44, about 4 years later, I knocked my PB down to 34:57...now I'm M60+ and back up, struggling to beat that 46:44.

My first Marathon was Cork in 1985, on 13 miles per week :rolleyes: RATFRMAOL!!!, got to 20 in 2:48, but then the wheels came off and struggled home in 4:10:03. 6 months later, I did Dublin in 3:11:17, on 56 mpw, and the bug had well & truly bitten.

The late 80's & early 90's saw 4,500 mile years...1,000 mile challenge ??? We used to clear 1,000 before Paddy's Day! Nowadays, probably only about 2,400 mpy....takes too long nowadays...grand if your doing your easy miles around 7 min pace...now it's more like 9:15/30

Been plenty of ups & only a few downs along the way since, but has it been enjoyable? You Bet!! :D:D:D

Besides all the pluses of running, a colleague says "The health benefits of running, outweigh, by far, those of not running!" Damn right! I had an extremely serious health issue 6 years ago, and my fitness stood to me in a massive way. At the time, I said to my wife "All that running was worth it, just to get me through this!"

Can I envisage a time when I can't run? I hope not, DG. Better be strong nails on the box! Keep on Running!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

I realise my original post didn't say anything about how or why I started running! Well, here's my little story!

So just over a year ago I went running for the first time. I was already pretty active, walking a lot at a pretty brisk pace. Running was the next step up for me, but I never did it. I don’t want to go into the big long story but let me just say that someone inspired me to start running. They inspired me because they were physically fit, active and healthy but they didn’t make a big deal of it.

Their attitude towards fitness was more ‘this is just something I do, part of who I am’ as opposed to making an issue or a fuss about it. And I realised then that I didn’t have to make a big deal of it either. I (erroneously) thought I'd have to live in the gym and workout for hours everyday (which I had seen some people do) etc etc, but this person made me realise I didn't have to do that, it wasn't a big deal. So, without telling anyone, I went out that first night and started intervals. I wasn't using a program, I just did what I thought I could do and then went a little bit further. The first running interval I did lasted about 120m. Now, I'm running 5ks and walk/jogging up to 10k. I've run in 6 races and improved my times in each of them. My latest goal is to run a full 10k without having to walk, as well as to run 5k in 35 mins. I will get there!

I love running, and while I might wish I had started running sooner in life (I'm 37), I'm just delighted that I discovered it at all.

So that's my story! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

I first started running about two years ago. Started in March,got an infection in my kidney in November and quit. I kept planning on starting again but never got to it. Easter week this year I started again and something shifted in me. I got this ability to pace myself,not go all out. Just run and enjoy it. Whereas before,if I'd had a busy day I would use it as an excuse not to run, now I feel it is my way to unwind. I honestly feel like it is an addiction. I don't run much, anything from a 2 mile run to 5 miles.I've not done any races,no plans to but I really feel that it is as much a part of me now as my name! I've lurked around these running threads for long enough now,time to own up!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

There is a very interesting story on the Athletics page of BBC sport , about a guy called Steve Way who is 40 and part of the England marathon team at the commonwealth games. If someone can link it , it is well worth reading

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

PVincent wrote: »
    There is a very interesting story on the Athletics page of BBC sport , about a guy called Steve Way who is 40 and part of the England marathon team at the commonwealth games. If someone can link it , it is well worth reading

http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?subforums=1&forum=972&query=steve+way

Very inspiring. You can find out much more about him on fetcheveryone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good Marathon Talk interview with him here:

http://www.marathontalk.com/podcast/episode_13_steve_way.php

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

^^^That dude looks like he was born to run!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Five years this coming Nov, friend convinced me I should enter the Cork marathon in '10 so figured I'd need to get in a bit of practice :) Think my first post on this forum was that June wondering if it would be ok to run another one in the Autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

18 months. I try and run every second night for 5-8k
    Two half marathons (Cork City) and few 5 & 10k races. Since I started, and I absolutely love running (except for the occasional injury). What I need to do now is join a club had enough of running on my own.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

Started back running 3 years ago, running properly and consistently for just over 2 years. Had it in my head to start running the day I fInished my first year college exams and went out for a 3 mile run. I was 18 and a half then. My first track session consisted of 2x400m and 1x200m with a long recovery. Did the 400s in 63 and 67! Took me ages to recover. That was the end of May, come July I ran a 5k in 20:12. Almost 3 years later to the day I ran 15:52 for 5K :)

The first year was very inconsistent but I was lucky to have people to train with although they were much faster than me. Slowly but surely I caught up with them and I'm beating half of them now! Best decision I ever made going back running. I can't even remember what it's like not to be running. I know for a fact that I wouldn't be doing anything productive with all that spare time.

What spurred me to get back is when I went to the European Championships in Barcelona in 2010, watching Mo Farah and the likes. Not to mention watching lads I used to beat as a juvenile doing well and qualifying for World Juniors etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Got roped into doing a relay leg of Cork City Marathon in 2011 by the other half at the time. Enjoyed it very very much and it's built from there, running mainly in the GAA off season in 2012 and 2013, managing to do the Cork Marathon in 2012 off a half baked training cycle with no real knowledge on how to train properly for one. Did other races when the schedule allowed as I did rowing during the summer too. No GAA or rowing this year so it's the first year I've been consistently running, missed most of January but been putting in 30 - 45 mile weeks since then. Will be peaking at 60ish as I'm following the BAA intermediate plan. Haven't got near many of my PB's for some time as many of them were set in 2012 when I was absolutely flying (by my standards) from the speed work involved in GAA training. Managing to close the gap on those times little by little and once Dublin is completed this year, the early half of 2015 will be spent targeting everything from 5k through to 13.1 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Strawberry Swan

10 years, sort of!
    Started 'running' in the phoenix park, could only run a few hundred metres before stopping. Spent the next few years very slowly improving but stayed a jogger.

Joined a club and steadily improved each week. Ran a lot of races but never trained much more than 3 times a week. Best times were 29.40 for 4 miles and 4.15 for DCM.

Broke my leg, put on extra weight, started back to college and now slowly getting back into it and losing the weight. Yay.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

Started last February... picked the wrong shoes so straight into 8 week tendonitis 😡
    Well let me say I grew as a runner a bit (shaved off 1:20/min,finished couple 10k) and finishing my first sprint tri this year.
    I joined a club (yet another amazing thing) and running is now my antidepressant.. it's ME time.
    Love morning runs or longer weekend runs (I'm not a long distance runner, still prefer 5-8 km)
    There is a great saying... mile is a mile, fast or slow

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

35 years.
    PE teacher at secondary school pointed me to the local athletic club. Turned out not bad at track, 51.4s 400m and 1:58.5 800m, also loved the cross country. Ran 60:23 for 10miles aged 17, then moved away to study and got caught up in the drinking culture. Still managed a 1h18 half in 1986, but then constant travel with work put an end to any ambitions.

Dipped in and out of running over the years, I could usually run a 50min 10k off no training. Got fit enough to do some hill running early 2000's, and ran an impromptu 4:20 for the DCM off 10k training runs. Trained for it the next year and ran an offroad marathon in 3:30, but missed DCM with injury.

Roll on 10 years and I've been back training since April, lost 5kg but crippled with calf/achilles problems. Struggling to get past 10k without injury, but speed improving on the shorter distances. Will get there eventually. If I can run my age in mins for 10k I'll be happy for now!

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Started running, jogging/walking back in 2006 as a way of relieving stress during my Mothers illness, God rest her. As her illness progressed I began to run more regularly, the benefit of just forgetting for an hour and 'recharging' was huge.

Anyway, got to the stage that I decided to run the 2008 DCM for Alzheimer's Ireland. When I made this decision I wasn't serious runner, it was just a way of doing something. 7 months later, a lot of miles, one very sore IT band and following some advice from fellow boardsie's, one very emotional runner crossed the finished line.

My better half got so pissed off with me waking her early on Sunday mornings for my long run, that she decided to join me. So together we have completed a couple of 5k's, 10k's and even one half marathon.

I will always be a plodder, but I do genuinely enjoy going for a run. I'm doing the Naas 10k in Sept, born and bred Naas and looking forward to my neices cheering me on.

The health benefits are obvious, but the mental health gained from just getting out and running/jogging, for me is a big part of it. The two of us did a Chi running class recently, as much to reduce injuries (mid 40's:() but also for it's well being philosophy.

The big thing I would say to people is just try it, us plodders and charity runners are probably 90% of each race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

About 2 weeks so very much a newbie, I've done loads of cycling and just wanted to vary it a bit. Did my first organized 10 Km today near Kinsale in Cork, in aid of the Irish guide dogs for the blind, Sonya was on hand but she just strolled around. I really enjoyed it, temperature was near 20 degrees with a hot sun so any bit of a breeze helped, enjoyed it and going to keep plugging away at it for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 kiwimad

My dad's been running for 30 years, so he brought me along to the local club 11 years ago this September. My first race was at the Star of the Sea cross country (U9 500m!). Ran cross country for 8 years before I saw sense, did 200s for the past few years and now, as a junior, am trying to move up to 400/800. Middle distance huuuurts but to be honest, athletics is the best thing that ever happened to me and I don't regret a minute of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I got into it at the end of 2007. I planned to climb Kilimanjaro in 2008. A pal of mine said we should try and do tri-athy for training and this is where it really got going. I did the race (finished almost last - woohoo!) but I caught the bug, mainly for the running and cycling. Im a useless swimmer and running was my strongest discipline. 2009 -2011 I was at my fittest when I used to half kill myself doing 5 and 10km runs. I signed up to alot of races - Pheonix Park duathlons, Docklands 5 and 10Km runs, Spar great Ireland runs, WAR etc. I did a few tris also but not too many, 9 or 10 in total.

Last year in Oregon I tried to up my distance to 20km but my right knee started playing up. I didnt train as much after and I got slower / fell of the wagon and the enthusiasm just went. However I would do maybe 1 5km run a week to keep myself ticking over.

2 weeks ago I ran 10km and was shocked to see I lost 6 minutes vs my PB in late 2009. Thats given me a big kick up the backside and im now running more and getting faster again. I dont think ill get to my peak from a few years ago especially as age make things slightly harder. My knees seem fine over the last few weeks. Like pretty much always, ill keep to 5 or 10km. Dont think I have the knees nor the motivation for marathons etc.

Favourite running shoe - Brook T5 (Now very tatty, so also have Brooks T6, Asics Pirhanha SP3 at the mo.
    Worst trainer - Asics Kayanos (1st pair I bought - like bricks, horrifically heavy)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Moved back to Ireland in August 2012, after being away in San Francisco and then Glasgow for a couple years. Had been drinking far too much, and was incredibly out of shape (I'm 5'9" and was over 14 stone). Gave up the drink completely (been off it since), and decided to get fit.

Started out from a base of 0, couldn't run for more than 5 minutes straight. Was purely treadmill running at the start, as I'd moved back in with my parents for a bit and there was one in the house. Slowly built things up, just to run for as long as I could. Eventually went out for my first road race in April 2013, managed a 5km in just over 23:00. After that moved to running purely outside (hate the treadmill), with a Garmin Forerunner being a huge help/motivation. Did my first 10km in May 2013, ran it in 49:00. Followed that up with my first Half Marathon in Portumna in June 2013, running in 1:53. Trained over the summer for the Dublin City Marathon, managed to run the whole thing and broke 4 hours which I was very happy with (3:53).

Signed up for the Derry and Berlin Marathons this year. Ran Derry in June in 3:48, which I was quite disappointed with as I completely ballsed up my pacing (ran the first half in 1:44, on a hilly course). Training since then has been a bit of a slog to be honest (with a slight shin injury), but decided to take nearly a full week off before the Donegal Half Marathon a couple weeks ago. Ran it in 1:38:28, which I was delighted with. Ran 20 miles there on Tuesday with no ill effects, and have another scheduled for Sunday. Hopefully in good shape to get under 3:40 in Berlin.

Massive change for myself in the 2 years since I've started running, and one I'm very happy with.

I'm a massive fan of Saucony, just bought a pair of neon green Kinvara 5s to run Berlin in. I'd run with no music, find it quite distracting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

Ran and raced a lot when I was younger. Bit of a break but back running the last 2 years and loving it.

Advertisement