Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

About to lose my home

Options
  • 22-07-2014 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

The possession proceedings have been going through the court for the last 8 or 9 months. I have no representation as I can't afford it. I'd just like to know how long after a possession order has been granted does it take for the order to be enforced. I'm pretty sure there will be no more adjournments and to be honest, I'm contemplating contacting the banks solicitor to instruct the registrar to order it so as to avoid prolonging the saga even more. I'm going through a tough enough time as it is folks, so please, no comments such as you deserve it for not paying your mortgage. I just need an answer to my question please, and thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Have you contacted any support group to assist you?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 vaperous diabolous

No. I'm unemployed. Long term (3+ yrs) and can't find a job for love nor money. I've tried letting out rooms in my house but have had no takers. Only a very few calls. Haven't contacted any support groups as I feel it's useless. The possession order will be granted. I just want to know how long I might have after the next court date. I can't find that info on citizens info or on the courts service website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

I don't know the answer Im afraid, maybe if you ask over in Legal Issues they may be able to answer.
    Also MABS will know, and they can offer support through the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Have you tried these guys?

http://www.newbeginning.ie/services/legal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

Ideally as soon as possible, so that the property can be put on the market as soon as possible.

If it happened quicker then everybody would be able to get on with their lives. The market is screwed because of the slowness of repossessions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,740 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Haven't contacted any support groups as I feel it's useless. The possession order will be granted. I just want to know how long I might have after the next court date.

How long until what, exactly?

Are you planning on making them bring out a bailiff to physically evict you, or do you plan something a little more orderly?

If you cannot get tenants, then I guess it should not be difficult for you to find alternative rental accommodation for yourself in there area. Although it could be a chance to move somewhere else where there is more likelihood of employment?

How long until what, exactly?

Are you planning on making them bring out a bailiff to physically evict you, or do you plan something a little more orderly?

If you cannot get tenants, then I guess it should not be difficult for you to find alternative rental accommodation for yourself in there area. Although it could be a chance to move somewhere else where there is more likelihood of employment?

Mrs OBumble, I really don't appreciate the tone of your comment. I've already said that this is a difficult time for me (and my children) and I never gave any indication that I would wait for a bailiff and automatically assuming that I'm a dissenter just because I've asked how long I have is not conducive to answering the question I've asked. I'm simply looking for solid information to tell me what is the stay on a possession order. Whether I do in fact, wait for a bailiff to evict me or not is not the issue at hand.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

OP, very sorry to hear about your situation, I don't think you should discount the support groups just because you are proceeding with the repossession. They can offer help on all sorts of aspects including securing alternative accommodation for you.

That's the best port of call.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,740 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Mrs OBumble, I really don't appreciate the tone of your comment. I've already said that this is a difficult time for me (and my children) and I never gave any indication that I would wait for a bailiff and automatically assuming that I'm a dissenter just because I've asked how long I have is not conducive to answering the question I've asked. I'm simply looking for solid information to tell me what is the stay on a possession order. Whether I do in fact, wait for a bailiff to evict me or not is not the issue at hand.

I'm sorry you feel that way - but I really was not trying to be nasty.

But I genuinely don't understand what you're wanting to know.

How long till what, exactly, are you asking about?

I appreciate that you may need to wait for certain legal things to happen in order to be eligible to apply for council housing. But I suspect you would get better advice from the professional support organisations rather than randoms on the internet.

Among other things, they will know about local differences, which people here won't know about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭GavMan

Where exactly is the house that you can't get tenants?

If its in Dublin, I'd be surprised that you can't rent the rooms...

• Advertisement

GavMan wrote: »
    Where exactly is the house that you can't get tenants?

If its in Dublin, I'd be surprised that you can't rent the rooms...

Not in Dublin. County Limerick. Bout 30 mins from the city

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭HIB

The possession proceedings have been going through the court for the last 8 or 9 months. I have no representation as I can't afford it. I'd just like to know how long after a possession order has been granted does it take for the order to be enforced. I'm pretty sure there will be no more adjournments and to be honest, I'm contemplating contacting the banks solicitor to instruct the registrar to order it so as to avoid prolonging the saga even more. I'm going through a tough enough time as it is folks, so please, no comments such as you deserve it for not paying your mortgage. I just need an answer to my question please, and thanks.

Sounds like this might be a question for someone with legal expertise in the area. They might be able to tell you how long it typically takes, in cases they've seen or heard of.

Maybe worth giving these guys a ring:

http://www.flac.ie/help/centres/limerick/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

how many spare rooms do you have? why not advertise as a cheap b&b?

lima wrote: »
    Ideally as soon as possible, so that the property can be put on the market as soon as possible.

If it happened quicker then everybody would be able to get on with their lives. The market is screwed because of the slowness of repossessions.

are you not tired of banging that drum, and blaming people on their uppers for your lack of action?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

MouseTail wrote: »
    are you not tired of banging that drum, and blaming people on their uppers for your lack of action?

Huh? I do not understand what you mean by my 'lack of action'

It is an un-normal skewed property market out there with lack of repossessions contributing to high prices. The faster they happen the better. Why on earth would I want someone to remain in their house for free?

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

It is an un-normal skewed property market out there with lack of repossessions contributing to high prices. The faster they happen the better. Why on earth would I want someone to remain in their house for free?

Lima take your agenda elsewhere, I shouldn't have to spell out the fact that this is a sensitive subject and your contribution to this discussion is not constructive to the OP.

/Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Kelly06

Op, as far as I'm aware the judge will grant a warrant for Possession of the property and usually make a stay on the order for a few months to give the owner time to sort alternative accommodation. If the person doesn't leave then the sheriff / bailiff come in to take possession of the property.

What about starting a thread in the legal issues forum in the same vein to see if any people there have some better info for you? I second getting in touch with new beginnings to see can they help or advise. Also flac ( free legal advice centres) and mercy law these organisations might be of help to you.

I'm very sorry that this is happening to you and your family op... There but for the grace of god go I .... The only thing I can say is that once this process is over you will be able to move on with your life and hopefully find a home and have this weight taken off your shoulders. As for all the finger waggers out there just ignore them most of us are just a lost job away from the same fate.

Best of luck to you and your family !

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭kig

Sorry to hear of your troubles, I have great sympathy for people who are going to loose their home, and am annoyed by some of the comments above. Unfortunately I cannot offer any advice or help, as I am in a similar position although not quite that far down the line as you.
    We have been having trouble with our mortgage for some time, but have spoken to our bank from day 1 when we thought we would be getting into trouble (as they tell you to do). Unfortunately playing by the bank's rules hasn't paid off for us.
    We went through the whole process, 'negotiation', and the bank then dictated the terms of a deal, which we told them at the time, was not doable for us. We appealed and were turned down again. It's only after being through the process that you realise, that far from trying to help you, the banks are only going through the motions, because they are forced to by our government, and that all the agencies that we dealt with, who we thought were independent, ie. the IMHO, the financial ombudsman, the appeal board, are all part of the banks - set up and funded by the banks - so much for independent bodies overseeing the banks, who put us in this situation.
    Anyway, I now need advice, the bank has offered us a split mortgage with a lump sum payment (cleaning out our last savings). The problem is we cannot make the monthly payment work - it will almost be half of our monthly gross income, and when you're earning in the region of €30k, you can't pay other bills, and our unworkable budget doesn't even allow for the next lot of taxes (water charges, etc) which are going to be lumped on us soon.
    If we don't manage the monthly repayment set by the bank, what will happen?
    Far from being a mutually acceptable, sustainable solution, which is bandied about in all their documents, we have been dictated a unworkable solution. And we get the feeling that now that the property prices are rising again, that the bank is trying to force us to sell. Alternatively we could probably let out our house, if we could only afford to rent anything that we can afford for a family of 4.
    Please any advice will be gratefully received, we don't know what to do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

kig wrote: »
    Sorry to hear of your troubles, I have great sympathy for people who are going to loose their home, and am annoyed by some of the comments above. Unfortunately I cannot offer any advice or help, as I am in a similar position although not quite that far down the line as you.
    We have been having trouble with our mortgage for some time, but have spoken to our bank from day 1 when we thought we would be getting into trouble (as they tell you to do). Unfortunately playing by the bank's rules hasn't paid off for us.
    We went through the whole process, 'negotiation', and the bank then dictated the terms of a deal, which we told them at the time, was not doable for us. We appealed and were turned down again. It's only after being through the process that you realise, that far from trying to help you, the banks are only going through the motions, because they are forced to by our government, and that all the agencies that we dealt with, who we thought were independent, ie. the IMHO, the financial ombudsman, the appeal board, are all part of the banks - set up and funded by the banks - so much for independent bodies overseeing the banks, who put us in this situation.
    Anyway, I now need advice, the bank has offered us a split mortgage with a lump sum payment (cleaning out our last savings). The problem is we cannot make the monthly payment work - it will almost be half of our monthly gross income, and when you're earning in the region of €30k, you can't pay other bills, and our unworkable budget doesn't even allow for the next lot of taxes (water charges, etc) which are going to be lumped on us soon.
    Far from being a mutually acceptable, sustainable solution, which is bandied about in all their documents, we have been dictated a unworkable solution. And we get the feeling that now that the property prices are rising again, that the bank is trying to force us to sell. Alternatively we could probably let out our house, if we could only afford to rent anything that we can afford for a family of 4.

Tell them you're starting bankruptcy proceedings unless you get a more suitable deal, and do it if they don't play ball.

Otherwise you will pay them your lump sum and most of your wages and end up bankrupt anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

You're a real piece of work kicking someone who is down. Not everyone facing repossession is not paying. I'm going to court tomorrow as the bank want my home, we cover the mortgage plus a proportion of the arrears each month without fail, our arrears will be cleared by Christmas but its not enough for the bank so we face the cost and stress of a court appearance. Its not our fault that houses prices have gone sky high again.

OP I don't have any advice beyond talking to Irish Mortgage Holders or New Beginning, don't try and deal with this on your own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Op I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. I imagine you are going through tough times and thinking you are a failure for not being able to keep a roof over your children's head but try to keep strong especially for your children. I hope everything turns out ok and your luck changes for the better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Op I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. I imagine you are going through tough times and thinking you are a failure for not being able to keep a roof over your children's head but try to keep strong especially for your children. I hope everything turns out ok and your luck changes for the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Once houses get out of negative equity the banks will close on anyone in the slightest arrears. It's so obvious.

Have contacted new beginnings and have filled in their initial paperwork so just waiting for them to get back to me now. Thanks everybody for all of your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Sorry to hear of your troubles OP . If you want to start planning for the future my advice would be to contact the bank directly and see can you come to some arrangement that gives you a chance to get your head together while you search for new accomadation .
    I know a family who went through what is happening to you and they had a meeting with the bank and came to agreement that they would vacate the property within 2 months .
    If you had a time frame it would make it easier for you to apply for things like rent allowance so you could move into a new place ASAP . I know the family where under immense stress over the whole situation and once it was resolved they could actually move on with their life once they let their home .

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭kig

We are going to see Flac, in a few weeks, we also can't afford to get an accountant or lawyer. Also we have arranged to meet the Phoenix Project, also in a few weeks. The earliest we can arrange unfortunately, so we'll be chewing our nails for a while. I just hope we can stall the bank till we know our options.

@kig, have you explored the mortgage to rent scheme? Might be a better solution for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭HelenV

kig wrote: »

I'm so sorry for those on here experiencing mortgage difficulties.

I know you've all said ye cannot afford to engage a solicitor but really can you afford not to. The government and banks have done a very good job in leading people to believe they can do their own negotiating and constantly banging the drum about how expensive they are. Do you notice the way they are the very ones who won't budge an inch without getting legal advice themselves - simply because they know the value of it.

There are a lot of very sharp, very sympathetic solicitors out there who would help for a very reasonable fee and their input is invaluable.

I work in a legal practice, I know my way around the various systems but I wouldn't even dream of negotiating with the banks without a good lawyer.

A solicitor is the ONLY one representing the interests of the mortgagee - the state and financial institutions are out for themselves.

Most judges are very sympathetic to homeowners - although I've no doubt it happens I've yet to see a judge putting someone out of their home if he is making a genuine effort to meet repayments.

The bankruptcy suggestion is a good one but I'd be worried they'd grab any savings into the bargain. Just be careful

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

My solicitor has been great charging a very reasonable fee and letting us pay in instalments so definitely as Helen says phone a few and see what they say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭seanaway

Terrible to hear of people losing their homes to those who caused teh problems.

I can't answer your question but I wish you the best of luck.

Advertisement