Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Totally confused mother seeking advice for desktop build!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

EoinHef wrote: »
    The builds on adverts all have wifi,no need to get a wireless adapter if you get one of them.

Im assuming at this stage that OP has decided on a self build. Could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

rachaich wrote: »
    But I'm worried that it could be a expensive exercise if it goes wrong or there's problems in a couple of months and we would no clue what to do? Think I will contact mr bloodbath (sounds like a friendly name!!) and see what he suggests for us

Sounds like adverts to me,either way im sure the OP and her daughter be happy with the end result:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 rachaich

EoinHef wrote: »
    Sounds like adverts to me,either way im sure the OP and her daughter be happy with the end result:)

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Take anti static precautions, maybe buy an anti static wristband,
    otherwise theres a risk of damaging ram, or cpu,or motherboard.
    Plug in power cable last,
    check twice is every cable connected up right.
    test pc,first,with no drives connected.
    Put paste on cpu, then install cpu cooler.
    The first fast graphics card ,i got, in 2007 , i did, nt realise it needed a power connection from the power supply , to work.
    Putting it in a pc slot is not each to power it up properly.
    Make sure motherboard ,is not touching the metal case underneath.
    READ articles , how to install a motherboard , cpu, cpu cooler , power supply.
    Buy a case with a power supply,or make sure psu fits ok, in the case,
    eg psu holding screws have to align with 4 holes in the pc case.

OR maybe buy a fast pc on adverts.ie ,
    then put in more ram, fast graphics card after 3 weeks.
    ie make sure its working ok for awhile.

I got tv,monitor combo from Cex ,shop, 120 euro. Liffey st shop.
    i,m just using it as a widescreen monitor,
    it has hdmi, vga in.
    using vga input on it.
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/248111-31-anti-static-gloves-wrist-band-build

Thanks again everyone. Lots of info to digest. I have left a message for mr bloodbath to come back to me as I think he may be able to help us out... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Thanks again everyone. Lots of info to digest. I have left a message for mr bloodbath to come back to me as I think he may be able to help us out... :)

Haha Mr bloodbath. Think his sidekick name Jason will do. But yeah he should be able to hook you up with a decent pc.

Haha Mr bloodbath. Think his sidekick name Jason will do. But yeah he should be able to hook you up with a decent pc.

I like the name Mr Bloodbath better! Lol! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Recurve360

Ask your daughter if she really wants speakers. As I do multimedia and I share classes with animators(also do some animation and heavy video editing myself) and in general headphones are preferred over speakers as theres a better sound range. I built my own gaming/work pc before starting college for €500 and have upgraded over time since then. I could spec a build tomorrow(bout to head to sleep now) if you want.

Im assuming she will be using the standard illustrator, flash professional, premier pro, sony vegas and maya/3ds max for her animation and illustration? If I know what software shes using exactly I can pick the best build to suit her needs :)

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/applications/best-free-video-editing-software-9-top-programs-you-should-download-1136264

quote;

Im assuming she will be using the standard illustrator, flash professional, premier pro, sony vegas and maya/3ds max for her animation and illustration.

end quote .

download free editing programs .and i, presume there,s also free animation programs.
    try em,

i doubt if a 15 year old is gonna spend 100s of euros on software.
    Once you have a fast pc ,fast cpu,,you can run any program.
    add ram,or fast graphics card as you need it.

I,m not saying buy a self build off anyone,
    buy a standard dell hp,pc, on adverts ie,
    with a fast cpu.
    Test it before you buy,
    play music,play a hd video file .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

riclad wrote: »
    http://www.techradar.com/news/software/applications/best-free-video-editing-software-9-top-programs-you-should-download-1136264

quote;

Im assuming she will be using the standard illustrator, flash professional, premier pro, sony vegas and maya/3ds max for her animation and illustration.

end quote .

download free editing programs .and i, presume there,s also free animation programs.
    try em,

i doubt if a 15 year old is gonna spend 100s of euros on software.
    Once you have a fast pc ,fast cpu,,you can run any program.
    add ram,or fast graphics card as you need it.

I,m not saying buy a self build off anyone,
    buy a standard dell hp,pc, on adverts ie,
    with a fast cpu.
    Test it before you buy,
    play music,play a hd video file .

Are you advising a HP computer? Op I wouldn't take this advice. I was specced up a comp in boards here, made it myself, am very happy with it and know that if I was to buy the same specs in a brand computer, I would have to spend double the money.

I also know how to swap out parts and clean the thing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Would rather buy the kid the parts and let them try make it.

Even if they broke it be still better value than a hp.

Heres just a suggestion:

Item|Price
    Total build cost: €602.04 + €11.99 shipping
    Thermaltake Hamburg 530W|€40.27
    8GB-Kit Crucial Ballistix Sport Series DDR3-1600, CL9|€63.23
    LG GH24NS bare schwarz|€12.68
    ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0, AM3+, ATX|€65.09
    AMD FX-8320 Prozessor, Boxed, Sockel AM3+|€118.63
    Alpenföhn Sella - 92mm, AMD/Intel|€17.19
    TP-LINK TL-WN881ND Netzwerkkarte/-adapter|€12.99
    Sapphire R9 270X Dual-X OC Boost Lite Retail, AMD Radeon R9 270X, 2GB DDR5|€160.15
    Cooler Master N300, ATX-Midi-Tower, schwarz, ohne Netzteil|€35.52
    WD Blue 1TB 6Gb's|€49.81
    Hercules DJ M40.1|€26.48

This includes all she will need including a decent set of headphones.
    All that is missing is a copy of windows. Not sure if microsoft dreamspark still offer free copies of windows for students, its worth checking out. Failing that try reddit software swap.

and if you use the geizhals.de technique you should be able to get it below 600. Dont have access to links right now but im sure somebody could help you out.

Down the line you could add a SSd and more fans but there not essential right now considering the budget.

I,M not saying you have to buy hp,
    buy any brand dell, philips, etc thats made in a factory ,
    with a motherboard,psu, cpu,dvd ,drive,
    harddrive in it.
    not a self build pc from joe bloggs ,on adverts.ie
    OR the 2 of you build your own pc.
    You can plug in all the parts,
    cpu,cooler,ram, on the motherboard,
    on a clean ,dry,table.plug in the psu,power cable to the motherboard socket.
    see does it boot up, the bios.
    before taking it apart and putting it inside a pc case.

There,s no need for a 15 year old to buy photoshop pro,etc,
    when theres loads of legit free software to download free .
    eg windows movie maker.

When everything else is working,
    connect the sata hardrive and dvd drive.

Some motherboard,s have on board vga , eg an onboard graphics chip ,which can be used for testing ,or normal use,
    before you put in a fast pc i express card .

Sorry riclad but if you don't know much about the software being used don't be so quick to Diss other people's opinions. There are free alternatives to the programs I listed but you still need the specs to back it up. Regardless of the software for video and animation rendering you will need at least a quad core, decent gfx card and 8gb ram. You will not get this spec on a machine from a bricks and mortar store and they also limit upgradeability to an extent.

Either self build or bloodbath from adverts are the way to go. He is a respected member of this community and has helped many people on here in picking parts for a system. He charges a small fee for assembly but not much if I remember correctly. If the op has any further questions feel free to pm me. I can offer advice on software deals such as non commercial versions of maya/modelling software for students etc and also ideal specs etc... :)

I never mentioned exact specs, in my posts,
    i just mean to point out there ,s alot free video, editing software out there for a beginner to use.
    Once you have a fast cpu, good motherboard ,
    you can add more ram as you need it.

I,M saying if you were to buy a pc from adverts .ie ,
    its safer to buy a factory built pc.
    As all the parts will be compatible .I built 1 pc, but the cpu was already ,
    installed ,on the motherboard,
    i just needed to connect all the drives, put in ram,
    put a cooler unit on the cpu.
    ie i bought cpu,motherboard,on adverts,ie 6 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

if you do the proper research, all the parts you can buy will be compatible.

lets just stop creating trouble for the OP. Building PC's is very simple nowadays.
    Its not like shes buying pre-owned. its Mr. Bloodbath.

Exactly, a pc nowadays is like a big piece of lego, if it doesnt fit in the slot, its in the wrong place.
    +1 for the Mr Bloodbath (is that what he likes to be called now??) :P

OP check out dreamspark, if her school is part of the program she will be eligible for a free copy of windows :) It will save over 80 quid off the bat that can be spent on better hardware. A 600 quid PC with no upgrades would suffice for basic video/3d modelling and animating for a few years :)

Update. Thanks everyone for your advice and info. All much appreciated!
    I have today collected a build from Mr Bloodbath (Jason), and my teenager has sealed herself in her room and I fully expect her not to emerge for about 3 years!!
    I see a few have suggested downloadable program's for video editing and animation and I will pass these options onto her when she ever emerges!
    Any other tips or pointers to good software or hardware much appreciated.
    Thanks again guys! :)

Here,s programs i use on every pc i get,
    vlc media player,
    chrome browser.
    iron browser, best private browser,sends no data to google.
    avast free antivirus .
    Drivermax ,
    backs up all device driver files to a folder, in my documents/drivers .

Handy if you need to do reinstall of windows.
    Just google free video editing software .
    windows movie maker etc
    winamp ,is a good easy to use music player .

chrome extension hola ,for watching us tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I fully expect her not to emerge for about 3 years!!

Sounds about right lol,best of luck with it:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement