Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools Cup 2014/2015 *mod warning post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rughug

Irish under 18 schools start FIRA competition tomorrow when they play Georgia

Squad listed below. Team for opening game not named yet
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/34227.php#.VRQtVaOvncs
    Does anyone have any idea about how one could go about watching this game on the web

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

rughug wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea about how one could go about watching this game on the web
    Finals will be streamed on the Rugby Europe Chanel on Dailymotion but other games will not be streamed live. Will have to rely on twitter for opening two games

England beat Portugal 85-5, Italy beat Wales 14-13, France beat Scotland in opening quarter finals in Rugby Europe u18 quarter finals

Ireland drew with Georgia 8-8 in normal time but lost 3-1 in penalty kicks so will be in the 5th-8th playoffs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

No harm on the lads and good on Georgia but that's dreadful stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭bradders90

Italy must have decent side, especially as Wales beat their English counterparts:
    www. inattheside.com/wales-u18-beat-england-u18-in-swansea/

(I cant post links because too few posts)
    For Ireland to lose to Georgia, yes i know their still teens but, that is awful. We should be putting a cricket score on them. Although i am slightly pleased, it shows the game is growing very very well in Georgia.

• Advertisement

bradders90 wrote: »
    Italy must have decent side, especially as Wales beat their English counterparts:
    www. inattheside.com/wales-u18-beat-england-u18-in-swansea/

(I cant post links because too few posts)
    For Ireland to lose to Georgia, yes i know their still teens but, that is awful. We should be putting a cricket score on them. Although i am slightly pleased, it shows the game is growing very very well in Georgia.
    Could be wrong but Italy recently made drastic changes to their age grade development system and good to see improvements in their sides at under 18 level.
    I wouldn't say we should be putting a cricket score on them. Georgia are producing huge numbers towards the pro game and primarily through the pack...

Interestingly also heard in recent days the Irish u18 schools will not be competing in this competition next year as Easter/this competition will be very close to Paddys Day and the schools finals so the u18 clubs side will compete next year

Could be wrong but Italy recently made drastic changes to their age grade development system and good to see improvements in their sides at under 18 level.
    I wouldn't say we should be putting a cricket score on them. Georgia are producing huge numbers towards the pro game and primarily through the pack...

Interestingly also heard in recent days the Irish u18 schools will not be competing in this competition next year as Easter/this competition will be very close to Paddys Day and the schools finals so the u18 clubs side will compete next year

Does this mean that the schools side will compete in the tri nations event, with the England Clubs and Schools u18 xv (academy players non-eligible) and France fed u18 XV? Or just not have any fixtures at all? I know that Wales, France, Englaand all go to South Africa for a tournament in the summer but since Ireland do not do this surely not competing in the Fira will mean the side is all but done? Feel free to correct me if i am wrong on any of these points.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Leinster5

Blackrock beat St. Michaels in Junior 2nds Final in Donnybrook yesterday, clean sweep for them at Junior Level.

A lot of talk about big shake-ups in coaching staff in Terenure and St. Michael's next year according to a few people who work and attend those respective schools.

Does this mean that the schools side will compete in the tri nations event, with the England Clubs and Schools u18 xv (academy players non-eligible) and France fed u18 XV? Or just not have any fixtures at all? I know that Wales, France, Englaand all go to South Africa for a tournament in the summer but since Ireland do not do this surely not competing in the Fira will mean the side is all but done? Feel free to correct me if i am wrong on any of these points.
    Don't know about the tri-nations competition but they may just play a set of friendlies.
    By not playing in FIRA the schools side is certainly not "done". The youths side wasn't "done" by being shunted out of the FIRA a few years ago so why would that be the case with the schools...

• Registered Users Posts: 31 RuggaBugga

Leinster5 wrote: »
    Blackrock beat St. Michaels in Junior 2nds Final in Donnybrook yesterday, clean sweep for them at Junior Level.

A lot of talk about big shake-ups in coaching staff in Terenure and St. Michael's next year according to a few people who work and attend those respective schools.

I hear Blackrock lost 33-7 to a touring side, Monument High School (ranked 5th in South Africa) yesterday. Can anyone confirm if it was the 1sts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

RuggaBugga wrote: »
    I hear Blackrock lost 33-7 to a touring side, Monument High School (ranked 5th in South Africa) yesterday. Can anyone confirm if it was the 1sts?

From what I heard it was the House 2nds and a few 3rds (next years SCT without the guys who started in the cup this year.) basically the best fourth and fifth years minus the top 10/11 players.

RuggaBugga wrote: »
    It wasn't firsts. It would have been one of the House sides, House 2nds.
    That Monument side had 2 sides over here and have played games in Limerick, Galway and Athlone already
    Saw their second team beat a Galwegians Under 17 team.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 RuggaBugga

It wasn't firsts. It would have been one of the House sides, House 2nds.
    That Monument side had 2 sides over here and have played games in Limerick, Galway and Athlone already
    Saw their second team beat a Galwegians Under 17 team.

Ah, that makes sense then.

Thanks!

Irish Schools may have lost to Georgia on penalty kicks but still have 2 games to play
    First half of game is below. Second half also is online
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2kvuz3_27-03-2015-ce-u18-irlande-georgie-partie-1_sport

The other quarter final games finished: England 85 Portugal 5, Italy 14 Wales 13, France 22 Scotland 10.
    Semis are England v France, Georgia v Italy
    5-8 playoffs are Portugal v Scotland, Wales v Ireland.

Irelands next game is Tuesday at 7

Irish Schools may have lost to Georgia on penalty kicks but still have 2 games to play
    First half of game is below. Second half also is online
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2kvuz3_27-03-2015-ce-u18-irlande-georgie-partie-1_sport

The other quarter final games finished: England 85 Portugal 5, Italy 14 Wales 13, France 22 Scotland 10.
    Semis are England v France, Georgia v Italy
    5-8 playoffs are Portugal v Scotland, Wales v Ireland.

Irelands next game is Tuesday at 7

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 irishu19

Ireland U19 Squad (sponsored by PwC)

Vakhtang Abdaladze (Clontarf FC/Leinster)
    Andrew Porter (UCD/Leinster)
    Ben Betts (Young Munster RFC/Munster)
    Conor Kenny (Garbally College/Connacht)
    John Molony (Clongowes College/Leinster)
    Vincent O’Brien (Cork Con/Munster)
    Peter Claffey (NUIG RFC/Connacht)
    Michael Melia (Terenure College RFC/Leinster)
    Sean O’Connor (Rockwell College/Munster)
    Hugh Sloan (Queens University RFC/Ulster)
    Conal Boomer (Ulster)
    Max Deegan (St Michaels College/Leinster)
    Greg Jones (UCD RFC/Leinster)
    Dan Trayers (Cisterian College Roscrea/Connacht)
    Neil Reilly (Clontarf RFC/Leinster)
    John Poland (CBC Cork/Munster)
    Liam Free (Cardiff RFC/Exile)
    Jimmy O’Brien (Newbridge College/Leinster)
    Andrew McGrath (Ballymena Academy/Ulster)
    Paul Kiernan (UCC RFC/Munster)
    Conor O’Brien (Clontarf FC/Leinster)
    Jacob Stockdale (Queens University RFC/Ulster)
    Matthew Byrne (Terenure RFC/Leinster)
    David O’Mahony (Young Munster RFC/Munster)
    Jonathan Rosborough (Ballymena RFC/Ulster)
    Joseph White (Cork Con/Munster)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭OceanSixteen

irishu19 wrote: »

Conal Boomer (Ulster)

No James Ryan, Hugo Kean, Jack Power or Will Connors? Strange

There is usually more exiles? Just a coincidence i guess/

irishu19 wrote: »

Conal Boomer (Ulster)
    Conal Boomer listed as just Ulster, no club, was in Methody but currently playing in Oz and has been involved in Western Force u20 teams etc
    No James Ryan, Hugo Kean, Jack Power or Will Connors? Strange
    Injured??
    There is usually more exiles? Just a coincidence i guess/
    Not really. Exiles at 19s are not normally anywhere near as strong at under 19s as under 18s
    Some in the squad listed with clubs in Ulster like Hugh Sloan had only moved to Ireland this season. Sloan had been in school in England and had been involved with Bath..

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭FR2

A few surprises, both in and out of the squad. Reilly hasn't played for tarf for a while as he was banned, so shocked he's there. Squad doesn't fill me with confidence I must admit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Why was he banned?

Cistercian Roscrea are playing Rockwell in Cashel RFC on April 18th
    All proceeds are going to Aidlink and The Hope Foundation.

Should be interesting clash....

As an English person, (with irish roots nd a interest in Irish underage rugby), I know a fair amount about schoolboy rugby over here. Something that i have noticed is a big difference is the contrasting attitude toward SEVENS.
    Over here 7's is played widely. (Tournaments start around early february) with all the big schools competing in multitudes of festivals all around the country all culminating in the Rosslyn Park Nationak Seven's (282 schools competing in two u18 divisions).
    Over in Ireland Sevens appears to be all but non existant?
    Is this just an ignorant observation or is sevens not really played at all?

As an English person, (with irish roots nd a interest in Irish underage rugby), I know a fair amount about schoolboy rugby over here. Something that i have noticed is a big difference is the contrasting attitude toward SEVENS.
    Over here 7's is played widely. (Tournaments start around early february) with all the big schools competing in multitudes of festivals all around the country all culminating in the Rosslyn Park Nationak Seven's (282 schools competing in two u18 divisions).
    Over in Ireland Sevens appears to be all but non existant?
    Is this just an ignorant observation or is sevens not really played at all?
    Its at all levels sevens isn't played much. There is some schools competitions for 7s held in Munster every season for the past few but it isn't any bit serious like in England and there has been some club 7s competitions over the past few years but again nothing like in England.
    Just isn't the interest/background in playing 7s like elsewhere

Irish Schools losing at the moment
    Georgia gone to penalty kicks for second game in a row. Currently in one with Italy in semi final. Game finished 6-6
    Georgia won that 6-5
    France beat England 23-19
    Scotland drew with Portugal 0-0 but won 3-2 on penalties to make the 5th placed playoff

Georgia v France in the final

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rugby2345

Are there many players back for roscrea next year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭OceanSixteen

rugby2345 wrote: »
    Are there many players back for roscrea next year?

Only 6 sixth years in the 23 this year

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rugby2345

Only 6 sixth years in the 23 this year

Is Tim Carroll back next year?
    I assume foley and trayers are definetly gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Its at all levels sevens isn't played much. There is some schools competitions for 7s held in Munster every season for the past few but it isn't any bit serious like in England and there has been some club 7s competitions over the past few years but again nothing like in England.
    Just isn't the interest/background in playing 7s like elsewhere

Correct. And, typical of Ireland, now, even thoughSevens has become an Olympic event, Ireland lags behind half the world in recognising the potential for Olympic success. By the time Sevens gets serious here we will be playing catch up to the half of the world referred to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

feargale wrote: »
    Correct. And, typical of Ireland, now, even thoughSevens has become an Olympic event, Ireland lags behind half the world in recognising the potential for Olympic success. By the time Sevens gets serious here we will be playing catch up to the half of the world referred to.

When will that be? Sevens is a joke, the Olympics won't change that.

Advertisement