Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EVERYONE QUICK! LIVELINE NOW THEY'RE DISCUSSING OUR STRANGE SPECIES.

Options
  • 21-07-2014 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭

Disclaimer: Yeah, uh it's not like I regularly listen to this show or anything, I just hear it in passing.

There's no Joe Duffy today btw.

So, yeah, Atheism, what is that all about? Huh!? Not Irish apparently.
    Anyone courageous enough to waste money, get through and fool the researcher, then proceed to talk about biscuits live on Air? :)

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

he's pacing the kitchen!! PACING!!! :eek::P

EDIT: "So what? so what?" great empathy from the Angelus fan :rolleyes:

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

In all seriousness, the 'Catholic country' view pisses me rightly off. Ireland is NOT a catholic country. It is a country with Catholics. If you want to live in a catholic country move to vatican city.

"leave it to the Irish people". Charming suggestion that non-Catholic isn't Irish :rolleyes:

Whenever I hear the 'We're catholic, its part of being irish' or rural or whatever else I and my family are not, I'm genuinely insulted. I am as Irish as anyone who's catholic or not from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭swampgas

lazygal wrote: »
    Whenever I hear the 'We're catholic, its part of being irish' or rural or whatever else I and my family are not, I'm genuinely insulted. I am as Irish as anyone who's catholic or not from Dublin.

What's obnoxious is the implication that being Catholic is somehow compulsory.

If you scratch a little bit deeper there's often a hint of "and screw the prods while you're at it" lurking in the Irish = Catholic mindset.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Sure, what's the harm?

robindch wrote: »
    Sure, what's the harm?

See also; just turn it off; if you were in a Muslim country; it's for people of all faiths; et al.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Barr125

I especially loved the lady near the end of the program when she brought Saudi Arabia/Middle East in general up.

Her: "Sure when you're in Tunisia or these places, you've to pay taxes and the like to support their media and their religious propaganda."

Phillip: "Are you saying the Angelus is Catholic propaganda?"

Her: "What? NO, The Angelus isn't propaganda, it's a call to prayer!"

The irony was seeping through my car speakers.
    See also; just turn it off; if you were in a Muslim country; it's for people of all faiths; et al.

I especially dislike "It's part of tradition. We've always done it."

Wasn't it also "tradition" that corporal punishment be allowed in schools? Wasn't it "tradition" to attend Mass every Sunday, where now, one in 5 self-identified Catholics actually attend?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Barr125 wrote: »
    I especially dislike "It's part of tradition. We've always done it."

It was tradition for parents to turn against their own daughter if she got pregnant outside of marriage.

It was tradition for the local bishops and priests to turn an ex priests own family against him (and the town) and to get the ex priest to sign an agreement never to return to the town he was a priest in.

It was tradition for the ex priests family to be told to destroy all photos of their own son!

It was tradition for the mortality rate in mother and baby homes run by the Catholics c church to be abnormally high.

It was tradition for the Catholic Church to not do any proper checks on the actual suitability of parents they sold children to (were they criminals, why we're they unable to adopt in the USA etc) , all they wanted to know was if the people really baby would be sold to were Catholic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Chance The Rapper

You're a shocking bitter bunch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

What was the discussion about? The Angeles?

Nah, we're lovely really. We just get a bit annoyed when other people blindly assume we're Catholics and want to hear a Catholic call to prayer on the radio twice a day.

tumblr_m2g30x1rK91rn34b2.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

lazygal wrote: »

Every district of Ireland, every social stratum contained non-Catholics even at a time when 95% of the population were RC.

Arguably our greatest cultural export in recent years, U2, of the four members not a single one is Roman Catholic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

No, we just prefer accuracy and dislike soft bigotry on account of our IQs being slightly higher than goombeen knuckledraggers.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Wanting equality, respect for belief or non belief when it comes to health and education and equal treatment for my fellow human beings makes me bitter?

Weird world you live in,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Turtwig wrote: »
    Disclaimer: Yeah, uh it's not like I regularly listen to this show or anything, I just hear it in passing.

There's no Joe Duffy today btw.

So, yeah, Atheism, what is that all about? Huh!? Not Irish apparently.
    Anyone courageous enough to waste money, get through and fool the researcher, then proceed to talk about biscuits live on Air? :)

I can't bear to listen to it, and the 5 second delay means my more direct comments would be denied to the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Chance The Rapper

porsche959 wrote: »
    No, we just prefer accuracy and dislike soft bigotry on account of our IQs being slightly higher than goombeen knuckledraggers.

Who, anyone religious?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Who, anyone religious?

Just the ones who think their religion grants them special status

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Who, anyone religious?

Anyone who conflates being Irish with being catholic, etc, I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

[...] our IQs being slightly higher than goombeen knuckledraggers.
    Even as an apparently ironic aside, that's not a fair comment.

Chillax, dude.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Arguably our greatest cultural export in recent years, U2, of the four members not a single one is Roman Catholic.
    Not sure if RC or not, but it surprised me recently to find out Bono is quite the God-botherer. I suspect he mainly walks with the Nazarene though.

As for Angelus, I wish people would pick their battles personally as otherwise we all get labelled like Chance The Rapper has us in this thread.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Every district of Ireland, every social stratum contained non-Catholics even at a time when 95% of the population were RC.

I remember a discussion I overheard in the late 90s about whether Graham Norton was really Irish or not seeing as how his family were Protestants.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,993 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Dades wrote: »
    As for Angelus, I wish people would pick their battles personally as otherwise we all get labelled like Chance The Rapper has us in this thread.

Problem with that is that the same BS arguments that 'justify' a minute's bonging on the national broadcaster are also used to 'justify' forcing catholic indoctrination on children from non-catholic families, or banging up crucifixes in council chambers

It's all part of the same battle really, to fully separate church and state.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Barr125

Problem with that is that the same BS arguments that 'justify' a minute's bonging on the national broadcaster are also used to 'justify' forcing catholic indoctrination on children from non-catholic families, or banging up crucifixes in council chambers

It's all part of the same battle really, to fully separate church and state.

It's basically trying to unravel the cloth by pulling at individual threads.

Some will just break off, some will cause it to disintegrate.

iguana wrote: »
    I remember a discussion I overheard in the late 90s about whether Graham Norton was really Irish or not seeing as how his family were Protestants.

What's funny about that is how quick Irish people are to claim genuine foreigners as Irish: JFK, Ronald Reagan, even Obama. My mother often comments how an actor or actress she likes has a parent or grandparent from Ireland (like it matters!).

How can Graham Norton not be Irish? Is it so hard to accept that some Irish people might actually be Protestant?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Dades wrote: »

So we shouldn't argue against something we perceive as wrong because the opposition may respond with ad hominems?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,252 ✭✭✭✭Penn

So we shouldn't argue against something we perceive as wrong because the opposition may respond with ad hominems?

No, but when there are much bigger and more important arguments to be made, arguing for the removal of something small such as the Angelus can just come across as kinda petty and unreasonable. Should RTE play the Angelus? No. But trying to get something as small and insignificant to non-Catholics like that would serve no purpose other than make Catholics more resistant to changes.

The Angelus is a minor annoyance. The schools issue is a major problem. Degree matters. We should be focusing on issues like schools which have a real impact on non-Catholic peoples lives, rather than arguing about a minute's worth of bell ringing before the news which is easily ignored.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

No, because people who might otherwise agree with real change like in schools might decide we're a bunch of dicks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Barr125 wrote: »
    Wasn't it "tradition" to attend Mass every Sunday, where now, one in 5 self-identified Catholics actually attend?

No it wasn't, for most of the church's history it would be impossible for the vast majority of parishoners to attend church every sunday. For example in rural Ireland up until electrification and the advent of modern machine-assisted farming, very few farmers would attend more than the big festivals, funerals, weddings and other family masse events in the year. The "go every sunday" has been a very recent stricture (if I remember correctly, it was actually first brought in as a response to protestant attendance requirements with the counter-reformation), with only the rich and the members of religious organisations having the opportunity to attend regular Sunday service for most of the last 2,000 years.

Advertisement