Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to buy for our first home

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,643 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

the_syco wrote: »
    In regards to the power tools; get the mains plug version, as the battery one can be annoying when the battery goes midway during the day, and you have to stop for a few hours whilst it charges.

I purchased both types, I find the wired ones can sometimes be too much for the task (or tricky to use in cramped situations where the wire gets in the way):

- Bosch wired hammer power drill (tough jobs): ideal for drilling holes in walls etc

- Rok 9.6V cordless drill (light jobs): ideal for building furniture or unscrewing hinges, etc.

The Bosch is pricey, and the Rok was something like €12 in WoodiesDIY, but I use both interchangeably as the Bosch can sometimes be too powerful for light jobs.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Oh on the power drill theme - get one of them there electrical wire finder thingies....like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJGqh-XJVpk

Also a lot of the new builds don't have the traditional measurements in use anymore as apts and houses are at odd angles to fit into the complex. I remember in Adamstown a lot of the owners had issues hanging curtains because there was a piece of metal slap bang in the middle of each window frame instead of a joist - in my own apartment the wooden joists are on either side of the centre, meaning my curtains aren't even. :rolleyes: This is something to look out for when hanging curtains or shelves or art.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I won't pretend I know anything about power tools. They just magically appear in our house, loads of them. And they are also magically left on the kitchen counter.... Anyway I know you can get stuff with exchangeable batteries. So you can charge one while use the other.

Advertisement