Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I hate Mastercard SecureCode and Verified by Visa

Options
  • 21-07-2014 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭

This may have come up before, but can we all take a moment to consider how annoying Mastercard SecureCode and Verified by Visa are.

"No I don't remember my password! So few sites actually use this thing that I forget my password each and every time."

I think I hate them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Keepass / lastpass is what you need

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Send me your CC details and I'll fix it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

I use whatever Mastercard or Visa tell me I have to use when buying things online (on certain websites).

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

They wont help with this problem though. Both MC and Visa secure require a different set of characters from the password each time you use it. AFAIK, last pass cant do this anyway.

But yeah, they are terrible solutions to a ridiculous problem. Most retailers wont use them as its viewed as friction to the consumer and they increase the amount of cart abandons.

FWIW i believe the Issuers know this and are working on better solutions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

Doesn't bother me. Just another password to remenber . never had an issue with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

minotour wrote: »
    But yeah, they are terrible solutions to a ridiculous problem. Most retailers wont use them as its viewed as friction to the consumer and they increase the amount of cart abandons.

True dat.

I'd think twice about starting a transaction i knew used it - unless I had no choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

Just use a password you'll remember every time it pops up. Like "notthis****again".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭Duff

Just use a password you'll remember every time it pops up. Like "notthis****again".

This works. I usually stick with 'Ahforfúckssake"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

True dat.

I'd think twice about starting a transaction i knew used it - unless I had no choice.

But why? It's just a password. Hardly rocket science remembering one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

Protip: Remember your password.

Looks like a PEBKAC problem to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I just use the word 'password' as my password for most things, including Boards, but MasterCard SecureCode won't allow me to use that ("security" or some health & safety PC bullshit, I presume), so end up having to reset it every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

I think you can include a "clue" on the Mastercard SecureCode password prompt... Make the Clue incredibly helpful!!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The problem is that the system gets people to set up passwords in the middle of a transaction, rather than when they're thinking about setting up a password. So they set something and then forget it!

It should be something that's properly integrated into your online banking. I don't see why, for example, you couldn't have a SMS verification code to verify your identity or something like that instead.

It seems like primitive technology that isn't really very well implemented.

We need to come up with better systems than complicated passwords - for a lot of people they're extremely cumbersome and hard to remember.
    If you get someone who is dyslexic or has slight cognitive issues, then it's even worse.

I've noticed a lot of older people can really struggle with a lot of this stuff, particularly where sites demand complex passwords or start asking you for random digits from passwords.

Two Factor security using an SMS or an app on your phone would make a hell of a lot more sense.

RayM wrote: »
    I just use the word 'password' as my password for most things, including Boards, but MasterCard SecureCode won't allow me to use that ("security" or some health & safety PC bullshit, I presume), so end up having to reset it every time.

LOL! He ****ing does, the idiot!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

♥ internet, :mad: securecode

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭toodleytoo

RayM wrote: »
    LOL! He ****ing does, the idiot!

RayM you're either very dedicated to a joke or there's an imposter signed in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I choose pretty long passwords and remembering them isn't the issue but I feel like a woeful spanner counting out the letters on my fingers.

toodleytoo wrote: »

very funny either way!

SpaceTime wrote: »
    The problem is that the system gets people to set up passwords in the middle of a transaction, rather than when they're thinking about setting up a password. So they set something and then forget it!

It should be something that's properly integrated into your online banking. I don't see why, for example, you couldn't have a SMS verification code to verify your identity or something like that instead.

It seems like primitive technology that isn't really very well implemented.

We need to come up with better systems than complicated passwords - for a lot of people they're extremely cumbersome and hard to remember.
    If you get someone who is dyslexic or has slight cognitive issues, then it's even worse.

I've noticed a lot of older people can really struggle with a lot of this stuff, particularly where sites demand complex passwords or start asking you for random digits from passwords.

Two Factor security using an SMS or an app on your phone would make a hell of a lot more sense

yeah, spot on, It could simply ask for your PIN on the fone. the average punter should be fine with this. I reckon that's the way it will go.

toodleytoo wrote: »

It's ok, I've changed it to "Password1" - they'll never guess that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Verified by Visa is one of the best features Pizza Hut Delivery has, because it means I'm never able to order online from Dominos

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It gets a bit confusing after you have several different passwords. It's always suggested to change them up reuglarly, so if it's been a while since you've used a service you need a password for, it's very easy to forget which it is.

I've had this issue lots.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

minotour wrote: »
    Most retailers wont use them as its viewed as friction to the consumer and they increase the amount of cart abandons.
    Most retailers won't accept Mastercard and or Visa? where are you shopping?
    I always forget it, so I reset it and it turns out I've gone through my standard list of passwords, you can't use the same password twice so I have to come up with a password I'll never remember.

ScumLord wrote: »

I always forget it, so I reset it and it turns out I've gone through my standard list of passwords, you can't use the same password twice so I have to come up with a password I'll never remember.

online retailers obviously!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

ScumLord wrote: »

I think that guy means the "Verified" login page, not the payment method. It's up to the retailer to link to it.

I think that guy means the "Verified" login page, not the payment method. It's up to the retailer to link to it.

that guy do, but id say he was only having a cheeky stab anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

My clue is

'I'm a sexy man?'

Haven't a balls notion what the password is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Nowadays with so many accounts and codes I find that 1234 is still the king.

For security freaks 5678 should ease your paranoia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

My clue is

'I'm a sexy man?'

Haven't a balls notion what the password is.

yeahhh baby

Austin

Giggidy

Right said Fred

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Is that something like a PICNIC?

Advertisement