Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctor Who Run through

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Never really warmed to Catherine Tate. She always seemed to be playing one of the characters from her sketch show, a sort of cross between the rude granny and the "am I bovvered girl".
    As for the Adipose, even my kids thought they were ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I had never watched anything of Catherine Tate before she was a companion to The Doctor but knew her shows through reputation. I thought I would despise her on Doctor Who but was surprised when I warmed to her after a few episodes. Maybe not knowing her "comedy" characters helped. I still haven't watched anything else with her in it, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    I had never watched anything of Catherine Tate before she was a companion to The Doctor but knew her shows through reputation. I thought I would despise her on Doctor Who but was surprised when I warmed to her after a few episodes. Maybe not knowing her "comedy" characters helped. I still haven't watched anything else with her in it, though!

You've seen this though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Started this myself, first time watcher of anything Dr. Who related. I started on the reboot of sorts, with Eccelstone & Piper...well impressed with it so far. I'm up to the WW2 "are you my mummy?" episode...creepy.

Myrddin wrote: »
    Started this myself, first time watcher of anything Dr. Who related. I started on the reboot of sorts, with Eccelstone & Piper...well impressed with it so far. I'm up to the WW2 "are you my mummy?" episode...creepy.

Oh I'm Jealous of you getting to watch it for the first time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

First time watcher as well, really like Tennant as the doctor! Dreading him leaving at the end of series 4

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

naughtb4 wrote: »
    First time watcher as well, really like Tennant as the doctor! Dreading him leaving at the end of series 4

I only started watching Doctor Who in late 2013 myself. My girlfriend loves it, so yadda yadda, had to start :pac:

Begin watching the 2005 reboot on netflix and ended up watching a few episodes every night with her. I too dreaded Tennant's departure and to be honest, Matt Smith just doesn't have it compared to Tennant.

I only started watching Doctor Who in late 2013 myself. My girlfriend loves it, so yadda yadda, had to start :pac:

Begin watching the 2005 reboot on netflix and ended up watching a few episodes every night with her. I too dreaded Tennant's departure and to be honest, Matt Smith just doesn't have it compared to Tennant.

I was like that, but then Matt soon became my favourite, he really grows as the doctor and has some great story lines.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Smith defo gets much better over time. By the end he's well nailed his stamp on the character. Just as Tennant did. And Ecclestone. Of the three I'd put Eccy ahead by a nose over the other two myself. He was the guy who made the Nu Who work. Pity he didn't do one more year. Tennant could have done that too if he had been the first. Smith could have too, once the audience had gotten over his age(though they might not have without the previous two guys). Actually that's another reason why I think Capaldi is tanking, at least so far. If he had been the first in the rejig I'd bet anything we wouldn't be here over a decade later.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

up as far as journeys end last night.

I've really enjoyed this season and David is great as the doctor and really grew into the role. There's a massive difference between now and when he first started which gives me some hope for the new Doctor.

it was all wrapped up nicely at the end with Rose and all the other side kicks, it feels like the end of a season now the build up to the end of David and the start of Matt.

• Advertisement

Just watched the end of time and said Goodbye to David Tennant.

He was indeed a great Doctor.

I had a lot of questions about the time war and did things add due to that last episode and I ended up having to read about the time war to see if it all added up.

Looks like Mr Moffat did his research and I think it all adds up unless someone cant see some errors?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I started watching Doctor Who a year ago on Netflix.

I cant say much about Christopher era of Doctor Who since he only had one season, but I was hooked from very first episode of first season of NuWho.

I absolutely loved David Tennant era of Doctor Who. I thought ever single companion was great even Donna Noble during Tennant era. I was very sad when Tennant left the show and we got Matt Smith.

Matt Smith era of Doctor Who was alright not as great Tennant era. I was not fan of Amy Pond/Karen Gillen, she is least favourite Doctor Who companion and I was happy when she exited from show and we got Clara who is my second favourite companion of all-time (Rose being my #1). It was tough for Matt Smith since he had big shoes to fill when Tennant left the show, but he was ok doctor he was not terrible.

I would not rank Doctor Who as #1 favourite TV of all-time, but it is definitely in my top 10.

Just finished Season 2 of the rebooted Dr Who :( I really don't like change...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Just finished Season 2 of the rebooted Dr Who :( I really don't like change...

Skip ahead to Series 5 so, it gets much better.

flazio wrote: »
    Skip ahead to Series 5 so, it gets much better.

No chance :) I'm really enjoying Tennant as the Doctor actually. It took me a few eps to get used to him after Eccelstone who was also brilliant. Loving the show so far though

No chance :) I'm really enjoying Tennant as the Doctor actually. It took me a few eps to get used to him after Eccelstone who was also brilliant. Loving the show so far though

Series 2 was a bit naff but there was a couple of good episodes
    Series 3 and 4 get much better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Doing a watch through with my GF as she's never seen the older (you know what I mean) stuff. Just watched Blink. She was freaking out. Brilliant episode.

I'm about mid way through season 3 now, & am still really enjoying the show. I've really gotten used to Tennant now & think he's brilliant (though he reminds me of Richard Hammond for some reason!). Slowly getting used to Agyeman as the new companion (still miss Rose though :().

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I'm about mid way through season 3 now, & am still really enjoying the show. I've really gotten used to Tennant now & think he's brilliant (though he reminds me of Richard Hammond for some reason!). Slowly getting used to Agyeman as the new companion (still miss Rose though :().

TBH Rose only seems like a good companion til the Donna era :)

TBH Rose only seems like a good companion til the Donna era :)

I look forward to it :)

On another note, at what point should I start to watch Torchwood? I presume it runs concurrently alongside Doctor Who, ala Stargate SG1/Stargate Atlantis?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I look forward to it :)

On another note, at what point should I start to watch Torchwood? I presume it runs concurrently alongside Doctor Who, ala Stargate SG1/Stargate Atlantis?

Whenever you want, but try to have Series 1 of Torchwood finished before you reach Episode 10 of Series 3 Doctor Who.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

If I could do it over again, I'd just watch series 3 of Torchwood (which runs during Who's 2009 Specials run) and leave the rest to rot. It's one of the best pieces of sci-fi ever, but it is in no way a reflection on the quality of the rest of Torchwood's run, which went from embarrassingly bad to, at best, consistently decent.

Series 1 is handy if you fancy getting shot by stray cringe bullets. That's how jarring the attempt was to make it an 'adult' Who.

"Oh, hey, here's a relatively innocuous scene, how can we make it about sex?'

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Strangest thing about Torchwood for me was the accents. It's so hard to take the Welsh accent seriously, it's just really silly sounding.

Overall though, I liked it, though I was a big fan of Captain Jack in general anyway.

Skip S1 of torchwood unless you are a major completionist.

It occurs after S2 of Doctor Who.

S2 of Torchwood is ok, I believe it takes place after S3 of Who.

S3 of Torchwood, AKA Children of Earth, is amazing, RTD when he's great AND has Peter Capalding all over the place. MAKE SURE you have this watched before the David Tennant specials.

S4, Miracle Day, eh, watch whenever. It's only very tangetially attached to Who and overlong.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Children of Earth is devastating.

Brilliant television.

flazio wrote: »
    Whenever you want, but try to have Series 1 of Torchwood finished before you reach Episode 10 of Series 3 Doctor Who.
    Skip S1 of torchwood unless you are a major completionist.

It occurs after S2 of Doctor Who.

S2 of Torchwood is ok, I believe it takes place after S3 of Who.

S3 of Torchwood, AKA Children of Earth, is amazing, RTD when he's great AND has Peter Capalding all over the place. MAKE SURE you have this watched before the David Tennant specials.

S4, Miracle Day, eh, watch whenever. It's only very tangetially attached to Who and overlong.

I would be a bit of a completionist, so should I pause my Dr Who run through now (mid way through S3) & begin torchwood? I didn't think Torchwood began so early

I would be a bit of a completionist, so should I pause my Dr Who run through now (mid way through S3) & begin torchwood? I didn't think Torchwood began so early

It's not spoiling much to say that the last episode of Torchwood S1 ties into DW S3's final arc in an incredibly minor way. So yeah, if you're brave enough to get through it, do it before then.

May the Face of Boe have mercy on your soul!

(SMall aside- if you're really completionist, there're some appearances of the Doctor in the Sarah Jane Adventures and many shorts through out the years. If you like, I could put them all together in a post)

It's not spoiling much to say that the last episode of Torchwood S1 ties into DW S3's final arc in an incredibly minor way. So yeah, if you're brave enough to get through it, do it before then.

May the Face of Boe have mercy on your soul!

Is it that bad yeah? :o
    (SMall aside- if you're really completionist, there're some appearances of the Doctor in the Sarah Jane Adventures and many shorts through out the years. If you like, I could put them all together in a post)

Absolutely, t'would be most appreciated :)

Is it that bad yeah? :o

Absolutely, t'would be most appreciated :)

I would say some of the episodes of series 1 approach average.

Really, it's AWFUL.

I like the rest of TW but RTD was acting like a 4 year old in S1.

I'll knock something together tonight for you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

RTD had very little to do with series 1 and 2 of Torchwood. He did the pilot and let Chibnall have run of the shop; RTD documents the fact in 'A Writer's Tale'.
    Spoilering since Myd might be watching it.
    You can see in Series 3 of Torchwood when RTD has taken over the reins once more, namely the Torchwood jeep, that for a clandestine organisation, was a jet black landrover with 'TORCHWOOD' emblazoned on its roof in bold yellow. RTD dumped that, before, yanno, dumping the jeep.

Advertisement