Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tripp trapp

Options
  • 20-07-2014 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has already been answer! We received as present of a mamas and papas Highchair, it is great except for there is this catch under the tray which I keep setting wrong! The result is i can fold down Highchair unless I get out screwdriver and take off latch and reattach! It is so annoying that I permanently have the Highchair up! The Highchair can't fit under table so I have to look at it in my kitchen :( I was wondering are the tripp trapps worth it? €255 is the best price I have found for the package. Will they fit under any table? My table has a "lip" underneath it. There are a lot of replicas out there eg red kite, hauck, baby dan, obaby etc are they just as good? Thanks a million

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Are tripp trapps worth the money? Probably not, it's a ridiculous price for what is a kids chair, after all. If you can get a cheaper alternative then do it.

Tripp Trapp chairs do have the advantage of adapting as they child grows and lasts for years. Children (and teenagers) get very attached to their chairs and become a sentimental piece of furniture/possession for many.

And yes, they will fit neatly under/flush with the table. At that price, I'd expect it to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

If you are not too bothered you can pick up a tripp trapp on ebay for about €110 {delivery from UK europe roughly about 20 max}.
    The ones we got were ranging from mint to a few little scuffs you would barely notice.
    Some come with the cushion and straps (didn't bother with the tray...just use table)
    for the last child we didn't bother with the straps or cushion, we just waited till they could sit up on their own which was around solids time anyway.

Our eldest (4} still uses ' their chair' and I use it occasionally myself too!

If you check out adverts they sell second hand for about 100 and they are usually gone quick enough at that, so no problem selling on.

I look at high chairs now as a total waste of big clunky plastic and metal that will only last about 2 years before they go into the skip.

In fairness though the kid may be right beside you at the table with the family. But, if you are doing baby led feeding then you are going to be bending down cleaning the floor for a bit.

Considered the imitations but just reckoned tripp trapp are the volkswagon golf of the baby chair world in terms of resale and use.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Armelodie wrote: »
    If you are not too bothered you can pick up a tripp trapp on ebay for about €110 {delivery from UK europe roughly about 20 max}.
    The ones we got were ranging from mint to a few little scuffs you would barely notice.
    Some come with the cushion and straps (didn't bother with the tray...just use table)
    for the last child we didn't bother with the straps or cushion, we just waited till they could sit up on their own which was around solids time anyway.

Our eldest (4} still uses ' their chair' and I use it occasionally myself too!

If you check out adverts they sell second hand for about 100 and they are usually gone quick enough at that, so no problem selling on.
    I look at high chairs now as a total waste of big clunky plastic and metal that will only last about 2 years before they go into the skip.

In fairness though the kid may be right beside you at the table with the family. But, if you are doing baby led feeding then you are going to be bending down cleaning the floor for a bit.

Considered the imitations but just reckoned tripp trapp are the volkswagon golf of the baby chair world in terms of resale and use.

I looked up secondhand ones but by the time I added in harness and babyset it coming in at close to €175 or more and tbh I would prefer brand new if I was paying €175. I was worried too if it toppled over and if I didn't get extended gliders? I am not mad on replica things either! Hahaha we have a vw golf too! Is €255 the cheapest brand new?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

We have one and it's great and worth the money.Fits under the table , easy to clean, grows with your child . I bought it when baby was born so also got the seat for newborns . It's the one item that I feel was worth the money. Still using it and even on these fine sunny day we bring it outdoors to have tea outside .
    I got the straps but we have a separate dinning room so was worried if I pop in other room she's be up and out :-) cushions can be washed thrown in machine but not need. For me it's was very important was at the table and not in a chair with her own table .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I got a booster type chair from mothercare which has a tray. It cost €35 and it's now being used on my second so it's paid for itself many times over. I really wanted a Tripp trapp for my son as we don't have space for a high chair but even a tt wouldn't meant taking away a chair from the table. With this booster chair the baby is always at the table with us and can eat straight from the tray which we needed for baby led weaning. In hindsight this was a much more sensible buy than a tt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dublinrunner

Love our Tripp trapp so much we bought a second for our second baby. They are really decent looking as are in dark wood and cream cushions and match our kitchen. I don't like the regular baby chairs as I want the kids to eat at the table and we are tight on space so didn't want a large metal frame. I have used a travel one on the seat also when other kids are over and whilst it's fine I like that my 2&1/2 year old loves her big seat and can't see us stopping using them ever...! Also our chairs are a little low for them eat comfortably at the table with the booster - I like that Tripp trapp is high and adaptable.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Realistically they are only in it for a couple of years at the most then want to sit at the table. We got the IKEA antelop for €20 and its brilliant. Started using it at about 6 months and now 18 months later he wants to sit at the table on a big chair.

I think the tripp trapp is lovely but its a ridiculous amount of money to spend on a chair (in my opinion)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dublinrunner

Neyite wrote: »
    Realistically they are only in it for a couple of years at the most then want to sit at the table. We got the IKEA antelop for €20 and its brilliant. Started using it at about 6 months and now 18 months later he wants to sit at the table on a big chair.

I think the tripp trapp is lovely but its a ridiculous amount of money to spend on a chair (in my opinion)

But with the Tripp trapp they are sitting at the table the whole time!
    And the Tripp trapp is for more than 2 years - it's for life as they say... I have an 8 year old neighbour still on hers for art and meals.

I Hate looking at a high chair permanently up!! I currently have the mamas and papas folded up behind a door!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

But with the Tripp trapp they are sitting at the table the whole time!
    And the Tripp trapp is for more than 2 years - it's for life as they say... I have an 8 year old neighbour still on hers for art and meals.

The IKEA one sits at the table the whole time too. And he STILL wants to sit in a big chair by himself. But thats just my child. Maybe yours would be happy with sitting in it for life
    Millem wrote: »
    I Hate looking at a high chair permanently up!! I currently have the mamas and papas folded up behind a door!

I cant stand those bulky big highchairs. I got given a Chicco and its huge, bulky, and an absolute nightmare to clean with the nooks and crannies.
    The legs on the IKEA pop off easily and the whole thing can be flung in a kitchen cupboard. I didnt realise the Tripp Trapp dismantles so easily though.

Dont get me wrong, I like the tripp trapp. Its a lovely chair, and a family member has one so I've seen it in use and used it myself. But they start at €270, reduced from €312 in Tony Kealys according to the website. Is that including the table, straps, cushions? Its a lot of money, thats all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Its not just a kids chair though, as they get older the seat gets lowered and it eventually becomes just another chair that everyone can use.
    We have one for 7-8 years.
    In contrast to all the other junk that has to be given away once they grow out of it like boosters or similar the TT is a very functional piece of furniture .
    Yes they are pricey but if you look at it as a long term investment rather than just a baby purchase its a lot more reasonable.
    Ours are 7 and 9 and still use it.

Jeez I feel like a tripp trapp preacher... But anyway... We didn't bother with cushion,straps, extendable legs for ' safety'. Once the child has the wooden part across their front they are good to go.
    Second hand looks as good as new.
    Maybe ive just bought into the hype too much.

The IKEA one sits at the table the whole time too. And he STILL wants to sit in a big chair by himself. But thats just my child. Maybe yours would be happy with sitting in it for life

I cant stand those bulky big highchairs. I got given a Chicco and its huge, bulky, and an absolute nightmare to clean with the nooks and crannies.
    The legs on the IKEA pop off easily and the whole thing can be flung in a kitchen cupboard. I didnt realise the Tripp Trapp dismantles so easily though.

Dont get me wrong, I like the tripp trapp. Its a lovely chair, and a family member has one so I've seen it in use and used it myself. But they start at €270, reduced from €312 in Tony Kealys according to the website. Is that including the table, straps, cushions? Its a lot of money, thats all.

But can ikea Highchair be pushed under table? Tripp trapp pushes just like your kitchen chairs!

Armelodie wrote: »
    Jeez I feel like a tripp trapp preacher... But anyway... We didn't bother with cushion,straps, extendable legs for ' safety'. Once the child has the wooden part across their front they are good to go.
    Second hand looks as good as new.
    Maybe ive just bought into the hype too much.

Armelodie do you have the one that has a wooden bar and leather strap for baby? Do you need a harness for a 6 month old!

€255 (shop in cork called jellybean)includes everything. Tony kealy will price match it!

But can ikea Highchair be pushed under table? Tripp trapp pushes just like your kitchen chairs!

He sits in it with his food/ plate on our table if that's what you mean. Afterwards its wiped down, legs taken off and put in a cupboard if I want to keep the place tidy but usually it goes in a corner of the dining room where its not in the way.

The Antilop is not a tripp trapp subsitute though - they are vastly different so if you like the style and shape of the TT then stay away from the Antilop. Having said that, its a great price for a chair if you wanted to get one to stay at granny's instead of lugging boosters and the like.

He sits in it with his food/ plate on our table if that's what you mean. Afterwards its wiped down, legs taken off and put in a cupboard if I want to keep the place tidy but usually it goes in a corner of the dining room where its not in the way.

The Antilop is not a tripp trapp subsitute though - they are vastly different so if you like the style and shape of the TT then stay away from the Antilop. Having said that, its a great price for a chair if you wanted to get one to stay at granny's instead of lugging boosters and the like.

I know it's a totally different shape! Ikea were doing them for €9 recently!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I read somewhere that the ikea antilop is the best selling high chair in the world. We'd definitely have gotten it if we'd had space for one.

We'd have gotten a Tripp trapp though if we had room for it at our table without having to store the other chairs. I can understand why people are so evangelical about them. They're very clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

We have the Tripp Trapp and I love it. We have the cushion and the harness and the extender plastic bits at the back. We needed the harness and plastic bits definitely as our 8 month old has discovered in the last month that she enjoys standing up in it and pushing it back from the table using her legs. Before that we didn't really use the harness as she was able to sit up well enough in it. The cushion gets dirty looking but I just an attachment on our steam mop to give it a once over when I'm doing the floors. She really enjoys being in the thick of things at mealtimes so it's worth it for me. Saying that, if I was able to physically see a Hauck or Babydan in the flesh before buying it, I would have considered one of those too.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

We just went with a booster on a normal chair. It has all of the advantages of the Tripp Trapp and more as it's easily portable so we can use it when out or in other people's houses. It also means we don't have an extra chair to deal with. It cost €20. To be totally honest, the only 'chair' I'd spend Tripp Trapp money on, is an ERF car seat.

• Advertisement

Armelodie do you have the one that has a wooden bar and leather strap for baby? Do you need a harness for a 6 month old!

Originally I used the lot...cushion, harness. But for the newest I went through the motions of putting him in harness on soft cushion. But when it came time to washing it I just said to hell with hit. Baby's derrier is full of enough cushion fat anyway...don't think they even noticed.
    Once they can sit up more or less on their own then theres no need for harness straps (but ya defo use the wood thing with little leather strap), think it was at about 6 months but every baby's different I suppose. id say houdini would have had trouble with putting on the harness first time too.

I've seen that video on the net of the kid tipping back the chair. pretty slim chance of it happening but once they are in the chair I never take my eyes off em anyway. Also he has pushed it back from the table with his feet but it just slides back..might be more of an issue if theyre on carpet or had very long legs! The centre of balance is pretty good anyway...maybe when they are old enough to stand then move in the lower horizontal part a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I LOVE my TrippTrapp, bought it for number two as the size and awkwardness of the highchair was driving me nuts and she wouldn't sit in it. It's made of lovely wood, fits in like the other chairs and everyone who comes into the house admires it (jaws hit the floor if you tell them the price though!)

Older brother decided he wanted his sister's chair, so went on the hunt for a second hand one, but no joy up this side of the country, so got a Hauck Alpha instead for around €50. It's a grand chair, a bit wider and doesn't fit as well under the table, but it looks good and is easy to clean.

I love the idea of the kids (2 and 4) being at the ideal height for the table instead of making them kneel or forcing them into boosters. They can get on and off them themselves and use them for eating, drawing, jigsaws etc. I can see them being used for years. I could only justify the cost for my second child as I had to buy very little for her.

Ok just to update, rang tony kealy, they said to make sure to try him in it first as a very large 7month old got stuck in it at the weekend and they had to semi dismantle the chair!!!!!!! We went to Bella baby, he fits in but defo needs the harness as is a bit wobbly without it! I was thinking of not using the cushion as tbh I think I would have it constantly in washing machine! But I think I need cushion as it's very hard to sit on ? I am trying to do the sums as the mo, secondhand is really expensive as they don't have harness or cushions plus they are very old. I would prefer brand new chair €154.50 and get harness, babyset, cushions second hand if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ok just to update, rang tony kealy, they said to make sure to try him in it first as a very large 7month old got stuck in it at the weekend and they had to semi dismantle the chair!!!!!!! .

That sounds very traumatic for the baby and family, but LOL!

I really like the tripp trapp. I've used it a friends house, very small footprint.

We have the ikea antilop at grandparents house, and I've nearly kicked it over a couple of times, the legs are very wide. You need a really massive kitchen for it I think.

Other grandparents house has one of those modern white big cushioned things that recline. Food gets stuck absolutely everywhere in it. We took it out there recently for baby2, and there was mould on it. Scrubbed and Ordered a new seat cover (40 euro) and it arrived without any of the straps or way to attach to it. Pain in the backside, we now have to go off and source universal straps. Not a fan.

I've got a bloom loft (was a gift). Stands on one central leg, so no falling over it. We used it from birth as a napping spot as well. Height adjusts so baby can sit at a breakfast bar as well as at the kitchen table. Very handy. The three year old sits in it as a swivel chair. Lots of use, we love it, but it would want to have for the price.

I think if you like the tripp trapp, research the resale value and buy with a view to reselling maybe.

pwurple wrote: »
    That sounds very traumatic for the baby and family, but LOL!

I really like the tripp trapp. I've used it a friends house, very small footprint.

We have the ikea antilop at grandparents house, and I've nearly kicked it over a couple of times, the legs are very wide. You need a really massive kitchen for it I think.

Other grandparents house has one of those modern white big cushioned things that recline. Food gets stuck absolutely everywhere in it. We took it out there recently for baby2, and there was mould on it. Scrubbed and Ordered a new seat cover (40 euro) and it arrived without any of the straps or way to attach to it. Pain in the backside, we now have to go off and source universal straps. Not a fan.

I've got a bloom loft (was a gift). Stands on one central leg, so no falling over it. We used it from birth as a napping spot as well. Height adjusts so baby can sit at a breakfast bar as well as at the kitchen table. Very handy. The three year old sits in it as a swivel chair. Lots of use, we love it, but it would want to have for the price.

I think if you like the tripp trapp, research the resale value and buy with a view to reselling maybe.

I saw that bloom one in Bellababy they are selling display model for €175/€150. The little catch on one side of the tray (that connects to chair) was broken so I thought that was a bad sign! It is very very stylish but it doesn't push under table
    Would you believe the lady in kealys said the old version of tripp trapp (baby set is a wooden bar and a leather strap) would be better for me as it is much roomier!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

My 8 month old is quite big, 80's and 90's percentile wise for weight and length and she has plenty of room in the Tripp Trapp.

You can get a wipeable cushion. We just wipe it after food and steam when doing the floors. I fire it in the wash now and again.

Roesy wrote: »
    My 8 month old is quite big, 80's and 90's percentile wise for weight and length and she has plenty of room in the Tripp Trapp.

You can get a wipeable cushion. We just wipe it after food and steam when doing the floors. I fire it in the wash now and again.

I have to admit he didn't have loads of room in baby set! It took me two goes to get him in!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Drdoc

Ok just to update, rang tony kealy, they said to make sure to try him in it first as a very large 7month old got stuck in it at the weekend and they had to semi dismantle the chair!!!!!!! We went to Bella baby, he fits in but defo needs the harness as is a bit wobbly without it! I was thinking of not using the cushion as tbh I think I would have it constantly in washing machine! But I think I need cushion as it's very hard to sit on ? I am trying to do the sums as the mo, secondhand is really expensive as they don't have harness or cushions plus they are very old. I would prefer brand new chair €154.50 and get harness, babyset, cushions second hand if possible.

I have a Tripp trapp and when I bought it I couldn't justify the cost of the cushion on top of everything else. Plus I figured it would get filthy. Anyway I've no regrets, he's perfectly comfortable in it without a cushion and it's so easy to clean.
    The harness is a must for me, not because he was wobbly but because he tries to climb out from time to time. I never leave him alone in it, however sometimes I turn my back to wash fruit or something for a second and he'd be out that quickly if I didn't have the harness!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

We bought a Tripp Trapp as we liked the idea of our child eating at the table with us and also the chair growing with her.
    We have found it great, very easy to clean, simple to bring out to eat in the garden and very stable. Our baby loves it too, as she sits with us and is very comfortable.

We got the baby seat thing, the baby set and the straps. We eat in a separate room to kitchen so the straps were required, but we don't use them anymore.

If the price is a big stretch, then there are other options, but if you can afford it and want it, then you will not regret it.

• Advertisement

Can the bottom cushion come off without getting out a screwdriver/Allen key? The girl in Bella baby told me I need to semi dismantle it? I like to get things at the best price and love a bargain but I don't mind spending the money if that makes sense. Has anyone paid less than €255 brand new?

Advertisement