Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2010 BMW 520d advice

Options
  • 18-07-2014 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I'm looking at a 2010 520d auto (F10) with 68k miles. It's got a good spec, one owner, and is from a dealer in Dublin but not a BMW dealer. He is offering a 12-month warranty. I've had a quick look and it seems fine. Assuming it checks out re history etc, can anyone advise if it's a good deal at €25995 asking?

I've read posts that mention expensive timing chain problems with 520d's but also posts that say the problem has been fixed in newer models. From the reg, I'd say it was registered in the first few months of 2010. From this sparse detail can you tell if this car's engine came after the fix or is vulnerable to the problem?

Also, from what I've read, it seems the timing chain should be replaced around 60-70k miles regardless of the above problem. If it hasn't been done should I walk away?

Also, I've a vague recollection of reading about licence plate snobbery and its effect on prices/resale values. Is there any truth in this? The car I'm looking at has an MN reg. It won't bother me day to day and if I buy this car I will hopefully have it a very long time so resale value will be academic. I'm just wondering if it means the car I'm looking at is less valuable on account of not having a D reg.

Any advice appreciated - thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I believe it was 2011 when the issue was finally resolved. Others may correct me on this but tread carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

From what I've heard it was late 2009, early 2010 when the reinforced N47 camshafts etc were deployed in the E60.
    I think the F10's are ok as they featured an upgraded version of the N47 engine. You might hear of some timing chain failures but nowhere near the same ratio of the previous E60 and across the 1/3 series cars.

Regarding price I've seen some for 22K so might be worth while shopping around some more.
    I usually check with driving.ie etc to get an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Early F10s are having timing chain issues too. I'd be reluctant to buy one before mid 2011 unless it was already changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Conlans in Limerick have a 2010 F10 525D (it's the early 3L 6 pot N57 engine ). Mileage is high at 133K but in fairness I would't worry about that mileage on a good diesel car.

http://www.conlans.ie/UsedVehicleDetails.html?url=L3VzZWQtY2Fycy9CTVcvNS1TZXJpZXMvNTI1ZC1TRS82MTcxNDA1NzA1ODY2NzA4MC8=

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Spark Plug

A revised timing chain design was introduced to F10s built after March 2011.

• Advertisement

N57 engines suffer from timing chain issues too. If you want a reliable 525d/530d then go for the E60.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 TestersWanted

Looking at other posts on boards.ie, it looks like there isn't much that can proactively be done about the timing chain issue except do plenty of long journeys (which I'll be doing anyway) and change the oil more frequently than the recommended intervals. Or buy something that's not a BMW :-).

I'll also shop around a bit more. I'm not in any rush. I'd love that 3-litre in Limerick but is the price not steep for the mileage? In any case the running costs might be out of my league. Not to mention that the bean cheile has her heart set on beige leather :-)

Thanks for the advice folks.

Looking at other posts on boards.ie, it looks like there isn't much that can proactively be done about the timing chain issue except do plenty of long journeys (which I'll be doing anyway) and change the oil more frequently than the recommended intervals. Or buy something that's not a BMW :-).

I'll also shop around a bit more. I'm not in any rush. I'd love that 3-litre in Limerick but is the price not steep for the mileage? In any case the running costs might be out of my league. Not to mention that the bean cheile has her heart set on beige leather :-)

Thanks for the advice folks.

Yes and it's a typical main dealer price too. You can be sure they are factoring in the cost of the 2 year warranty into that price. Bottom line is you are basically paying up front for 2 years piece of mind which may or may not be a bad thing with that mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

BMW Car magazine has a f10 buying guide this month. Some interesting failures other than the timing chain to be mindful of, well worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 TestersWanted

bazz26 wrote: »
    You can be sure they are factoring in the cost of the 2 year warranty into that price. Bottom line is you are basically paying up front for 2 years piece of mind which may or may not be a bad thing with that mileage.

Yes I have also been looking at a 520d in a main dealer and he keeps emphasising the warranty as the reason for the price difference. But said emphasis on the warranty doesn't inspire confidence in the reliability :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Quite a few fleet manuals in the UK, (see Cargiantt) not as desirable as the auto and prices reflect this.

Jeez, who would want a manual 5 Series?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

Tell the bean cheile that leather is awful cold on her ass;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

dharn wrote: »
    Tell the bean cheile that leather is awful cold on her ass;)

Heated front seats are standard on the F10 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Heated front seats are standard on the F10 :)

Not on the 2010 models it wasn't ;)

Option code 494 - Seat heating, front. €444.20 as an option on a 520d, €486.16 on the other diesel models.

Think they became standard in 2011, along with the USB interface on a 520d - that was standard on the 525d from launch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

R.O.R wrote: »
    Not on the 2010 models it wasn't ;)

Option code 494 - Seat heating, front. €444.20 as an option on a 520d, €486.16 on the other diesel models.

Think they became standard in 2011, along with the USB interface on a 520d - that was standard on the 525d from launch.

don't think so, my 2011 f10 has a usb interface but no heated seats

mossym wrote: »

must be during 2011. My July 2011 F10 has it.

• Advertisement

Probably a MY10 build registered in 2011.

must be during 2011. My July 2011 F10 has it.

my tax is just up for renewal now..:)
    bazz26 wrote: »
    Probably a MY10 build registered in 2011.

vin gives a production date of 31 jan 2011

my point was the usb and heated seats did not get introduced together. mine has one, and not the other. the timing heated seats were introduced would appear to be sometime in the first half of 2011 alright

my point was the usb and heated seats did not get introduced together. mine has one, and not the other. the timing heated seats were introduced would appear to be sometime in the first half of 2011 alright
    5 Series Saloon and Touring – due to the increase in standard equipment (494 heated seats & 6FL USB interface). Please note that 520d for both Saloon and Touring will have 494 and 6FL as standard from week 11 production.

If you have a 520d produced in Jan 2011, that doesn't have heated seats, but does have USB, the USB was specified as an option (was €303.54).

If you have a 6 cylinder F10, USB was standard on them from launch, but heated seats weren't.

I have Telephone USB audio interface as an option on mine. Is that different than USB interface ?

I have Telephone USB audio interface as an option on mine. Is that different than USB interface ?

Telephone USB audio interface - 6NF is a different option to USB audio interface - 6FL, but includes option 6FL.

I think (but I'm not sure) that option 6NF allows Bluetooth Streaming, over what 6FL gives.

R.O.R wrote: »
    If you have a 520d produced in Jan 2011, that doesn't have heated seats, but does have USB, the USB was specified as an option (was €303.54).

If you have a 6 cylinder F10, USB was standard on them from launch, but heated seats weren't.

could be, didn't think it was an option but could have been.that would explain it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

the timing heated seats

Therein lies the problem...

TJJP wrote: »
    Therein lies the problem...

????

You can make most sentences a problem if you selectively discard most of the sentence?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Ah no, sorry no offence intended, I just thought through typo funny, a Freudian slip if you will (as opposed to a timing chain slip!). I'm sure more than a few N47 owners are kept warm in their seats thinking about the chain issue. (-:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Is there any changes from a 2011 f10 sport as opposed to buying a new one now apart from visual . I.e indicators . New steering wheel, xenons .

Is the power output the same ?

Seats etc all seem the same ?

Was there talk of a 520d twin turbo ?

Advertisement