Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASMR

Options
  • 16-07-2014 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Heya everyone. So I have something called ASMR and every night I watch ASMR videos to help me sleep. I get so relaxed and have the best sleeps. Does anyone else here experience ASMR? If so, what are your triggers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Tarbhan

I only just discovered that this is called ASMR. It’s great to have a name for it and to know there are many people experiencing the same thing.

I normally experience it out of the blue when receiving personal attention from someone explaining or carrying out some everyday often mundane task. Filling in forms at some reception area, a colleague leafing through a document and pointing out things, service staff in a quiet bar clearing up my table, the occasional haircut etc. Sometimes I feel it’s a combination of the tonality and tempo of a voice mixed with light clinking or tapping noises. I also feel that it is important that there is a sense of calm empathy present.

Recently, I noticed that one particular colleague makes it happen regularly so I looked it up and was surprised to see so much stuff about it. I don’t really experience it from lots of these ‘intentional’ ASMR videos I’ve seen on youtube over the last month. Rob Ross painting videos are the closest but never the same as a ‘live’ event. It appears to be very subjectively triggered.

I can see how it would help with sleeping difficulties given how deeply relaxing the sensation is but there doesn’t appear to have been much scientific research on it to date, just anecdotal evidence, and not everyone seems to experience it. I imagine if that part of the brain could be triggered more regularly it could really help people with sleeping difficulties and/or stress disorders.

There may be parallels with ASMR and social grooming that many primates give each other and/or parallels with early cerebral pleasure responses from when we were infants being cared for. There’s something very primal, safe and satisfying about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I like to call it 'human purrs' :) It's a sort of perfect calm/trance that's hard to replicate. One of my college lecturers had such a soft, lightly accented voice that I kept inadvertently nodding off in class!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

It's a real physiological phenominon that probably gives unwarranted credence to a lot of woohoo alternative medicine nonsense. I remember debating a defender of Reiki on boards a while back. Reiki is the one where the practitioner waves their hands over the body of the recipient and uses 'the Force' to balance their ying yang life energies or some such BS. Anyway, she just knew something magical was happening when she had a Reiki session because of the physical sensations she experienced even though she wasn't being touched. The thing is though...the sensations she described were ASMR to a tee. The type of setting and actions were ASMR triggers to a tee too. I.e calm environment, a person with a soothing voice performing slow deliberate actions and movements close to her with oodles of personal attention cues. Etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 AliBaba2010

Glad to see some replies :) Thanks for sharing some of your triggers.
    Some of mine are whispering and soft speaking by females with accents, watching someone draw/ sketch, watching people do hair and makeup, getting my hair or makeup done, tapping and loads more!!
    I quite like the youtube videos, but only by certain people my favourite is Olivia Kissper ASMR, but I am not really into the whole role playing thing. My favourite videos by Olivia Kissper ASMR are the one's where she goes through the different triggers, I never make it to the end because I fall asleep. Check them out on her youtube page they are worth the watch if you like the ASMR videos.

Regarding Reiki, I've had it done but it didn't trigger my ASMR, I just found it very relaxing.

Let me know if you have looked at them videos and tell me what you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I've been watching ASMR videos for around four years now, ever since I realised there was a name for it.

I remember, in school, there was this one girl who had a really relaxing voice and I'd find myself drifting off listening to her.

My favourite ASMR artist is VisualSounds1, a Geordie who does really good roleplay vids, but it's her soothing voice I love the most.
    If I can't sleep I'll listen to her.

OP, there's another called JustAWhispering guy who has the most incredible 3D binaural microphone...my God the sounds!

I love binaural videos.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 AliBaba2010

fussyonion wrote: »
    OP, there's another called JustAWhispering guy who has the most incredible 3D binaural microphone...my God the sounds!

I love binaural videos.

I love binaural videos too, especially when you have earphones in... its gives me so many tingles.
    I'll have to check that out thanks :)

Advertisement