Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difference between goldne and brown linseed?!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,020 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Linseed/flaxseed are the same thing. You need to grind/mill it to get the benefits, otherwise it just passes right through :D

I don't think there's any difference between brown and golden bar the colour (although I'm open to correction on that) - golden looks nicer though!

I get a 500g bag of whole golden seeds in a health food shop for about €2, and have a cheap coffee grinder that I use to grind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 calendarqueen

I take linseed in yoghurt to prevent consitpation and normally take the dark linseed. As I recently ran out I have instead used the golden one. I find that the golden one is more stronger tasting or something. Maybe the texture is harder. I find it more noticable to eat in the yoghurt that the dark one though for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭rustyzip

So linseed is useless unless you grind it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,020 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Whole seeds just pass through the body undigested. So while they may help with constipation issues (but I don't know if they would) you get none of the nurtrient value of them.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/flaxseed/faq-20058354

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

rustyzip wrote: »

I find them fantastic for preventing constipation, spoonful on breakfast cereal every morning. It depends on what you want out of it, I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 calendarqueen

I find them fantastic for preventing constipation, spoonful on breakfast cereal every morning. It depends on what you want out of it, I suppose.

I find them fantastic too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

rustyzip wrote: »

Pretty much. And you need to grind it as you use it (and not store it after grinding) at the oil is unstable and goes rancid very quickly even if refrigerated. Get a cheap coffee gringer and use it only for this, giving it a wipe of a kitchen paper after each use. Vary the nutrition by mixing linseed, hemp, sesame and sunflower seeds. Dump a spoon or two in your cereal/porridge every morning.

Advertisement