Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forever living products?

Options
  • 15-07-2014 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭

What's the story with this? Is it like a cult or something??
    I heard of it years ago but now it seems everyone's at it, i blocked 4 people on facebook this morning for filling up my news feed with crap. All this brainwashing stuff about how great it is, nearly everyone of them say "I was able to give up work, few hours a week and I'm making loads of money, pm me for details" bla bla bla
    Does anyone else find it strange?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Pyramid scam selling snake-oil. Avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

I imagine they are staffed by the sexy singles in your area.

I imagine they are staffed by the sexy singles in your area.

Last I heard those magnificent Hunky-Dorys ladies were at it, since their gig in the adverts went South. Pictures of health, they are! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

jimgoose wrote: »
    Pyramid scam selling snake-oil. Avoid.

Hold on there now. It's a multilevel marketing strategy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Do their outlets open on Sundays only, around noonish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

They pedal Aloe Vera products, claiming that they are better than the stuff you can buy in Holland & Barrett, but they sell to their "members" dreams of a life in the sun, with all the money you make roping other people into it. They have seminars and such and is, as said above, a glorified pyramid scheme. I know people on FB who post regularly updates such as "god i can't believe I'm making money working away with a cuppa in my pjs. You too can have this great lifestyle, PM for details" and others like "I got a promotion today - this is the best job ever". In reality, they walk around like drug addicts, trying to pedal their wares and have f all interest in you if you aren't gonna buy off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Mrs W

I've one friend who has just turned into an arsehole over it, constant updates from him and the wife. Pics of shopping bags with #foreverlivingprofitz
    They got an insurance claim and bought a new car but they're claiming it's all the money they're making at this stuff.

They make 35% on what they sell so basically they're just bumping up the price and sticking it in their pockets!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Sounds like a Trapezoid scheme to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

I was given a bottle of the aloe vera after a back operation cause "you wont need pain killers if you drink this". Load of me hoop! Was back necking my morphine after a day.

Tilly wrote: »
    I was given a bottle of the aloe vera after a back operation cause "you wont need pain killers if you drink this". Load of me hoop! Was back necking my morphine after a day.

Try "Coo-ee, Ivy!", much better than 'Allo, Vera! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Forever living?
    Perpetual Motion Machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Sounds like a Trapezoid scheme to me

Dammit - I knew there was a skit in the Simpsons about that - thought it was a "rhomboid" scheme :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I know a few people who are into this, basically this is my take on it.

What you are selling is over expensive Aloe Vera Products, the product is apparently all from 100% aloe extract rather than the normal stuff you would pick up which would only have a fraction of the Aloe content. My wife is all into it but tbh I dont pay 8quid for my toothpaste I settle for the lidl stuff and if I could get away with it I would pump that back into the Forever tube :D.

Its very expensive products because the seller make 30% cash then you have a pyramid of agents all the way to the to top each getting a % of each sale.

Its not a pyramid scheme per say but is pyramid selling.

Our friends are in it in a big way and have been trying to get us involved, I say no f$%king way.
    The model is based on direct selling from your living room, you might make your money back and even make a few quid if you host a couple of evenings because most people will be obliged to buy something from you. Usually you will be asked to host an evening in your house and then the people who get you introduced will come along and help you sell all these life changing products to you friends and family. They of course will help you identify are more friends and family who would be interested in getting involved.

To get involved it will cost you around 400 for the pack (30% goes to the person who got you in ) for you to test all products so you will be an expert within a few days and can flog all off in the comfort of your own home.

An example of the products, toothpaste 8euro , some 700ml ****ty drink 27e, give me a bottle of JD for the same price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Got roped into attending a seminar one night in the crowne plaza in santry, purely to see what the fuss was about.

It was like a cult tbh. Patrons eyeing up 'managers' and 'supervisors' all gooey eyed etc.

There possibly was a chance to make money out of the scam scheme, but only from those that have been it from the start.

If I recall correctly, it was 329 (or there abouts) To join and get a welcome pack of products to flog on to (let's face it, friends and family)

I drove home after it in a fit of giggles. It's a pyramid scheme. Plain and simple.

The Irish Facebook page seems a bit odd alright, ran by a 25 year old woman "living the dream" but the posts read exactly what you might think one of these schemes would say to rope you in.

Hmm....

.....that's me convinced, where do I sign up?

I knew it reminded me of something!!

http://youtu.be/OkdLWuCRe0c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

When I was about 18 I was thumbing a lift and got picked up by a man who was selling for Amway and tried to get me in on it. I gave me a few cassette tapes (yes it was some time ago) of members who gave speeches at seminars about how great it was and how much money they were making.

He also showed me a few products and told me how much I could make doing very little but basically to me it sounded like door to door selling and trying to convince others to get 'involved downstream' so you could make money off of their sales etc so it went no further.

There was definitely a 'sect' type mentality to it that I just couldn't trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

This is the brain washing for the brainwashers, bonus week apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Mrs W wrote: »
    I knew it reminded me of something!!

http://youtu.be/OkdLWuCRe0c

That's the first time I have seen your one who plays Jenna Maroney in anything else.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The Irish Facebook page seems a bit odd alright, ran by a 25 year old woman "living the dream" but the posts read exactly what you might think one of these schemes would say to rope you in.

Hmm....

Are we meant to match the left column, with what they mean on the right column?

I go first,

Forever / Job
    Royalty Income -> Making Someone Else Rich

• Advertisement

That's the first time I have seen your one who plays Jenna Maroney in anything else.

She was in ally mcbeal too

Mrs W wrote: »
    She was in ally mcbeal too

She was in a movie where Evan Rachel Wood gave her some cunnilingus :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Forever Living and the like are very very strange and cultish all right. Something a bit sinister about them.

I know someone involved with such an organisation and is usually a very calm, levelheaded person, but turns rabidly defensive if something even just approaching criticism of the organisation in question is made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

Hmm....

That reminded me. If you dream that one day you're selling corn by roadside in India and then by chance you end up selling Corn by the roadside in India. Are you living the dream?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

So, I buy all these products for the guts of €400, I then flog them to friends and family, giving me a profit of X amount. Fair enough.

How do I make money by recruiting other agents though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

So, I buy all these products for the guts of €400, I then flog them to friends and family, giving me a profit of X amount. Fair enough.

How do I make money by recruiting other agents though?

Don't you take a cut of their first party pack? And then a % of their future sales? I'm guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

100% aloe? Isn't aloe vera pretty toxic, which is why there's only tiny amounts of it in products?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

It's like Tupperware on acid for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

I know someone fairly high up in it here. Been doing it for a few years & has made decent money out of it. Unfortunately (for him), now because of the size of the country, he's having trouble recruiting new sellers & sales have slowed down... He's constantly going on about how much he earns & how much he's going to earn next year & going to the conference in Lake Tahoe all expenses paid...

He hasn't even got his car taxed because it costs so much to do & is talking about renting a top of the range merc to go to meetings in "to give the right impression". Bit of a dick to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I have a friend who is pretty big into it. He left a very well paid state job to concentrate on it full time. He's fairly much near the top of the pryramid and in fairness has done very very well from it. New cars each year, constant trips abroad but he has totally changed in personality. He's given up smoking and drinking (not a bad thing) but has become fanatical about his health and pushes the healthy lifestyle on others a little too much. He's still a nice fella and a friend and in fairness has never tried to 'recruit' me but I can't help but think the whole FL thing is very cult like and not all that it appears.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement