Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Dublin pubs that are no more

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

is it much smaller than The Big Romance? I've only been in The Clock once

What I mean is, TBR is also a "music-led" venue, and so is, to a lesser extent, Fidelity - those pubs have amazing sound systems and that's what I'm taking from that phrase - not a music venue, per se, but a place where it won't be a tinny sounding playlist off someone's phone

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bigger, but it's not a club venue by any means; and they're partnered with a club operator.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Yeah, I know what Mother is, that doesn't mean they can't diversify into something like this?

I wouldn't imagine either party is going into this without doing their research or knowing exactly what they want from the venue. If we accept that the space is not really suited to a Mother-type set up, then surely we must think they are envisioning something else, a different approach.

It's not really aimed at me, I don't really like TBR but I can definitely see the appeal of a space like that for the people it IS aimed at, but I'm definitely intrigued as to what it's going to turn out like - the more different and left-of-field venues in the city the better. Not everywhere has to be to my own preference, and I love that there seems to be spaces where you wouldn't ordinarily expect to see craft beer popping up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Do we know when it opens?

The Liberties has certainly changed its bar scene in recent years.

The majority of pubs are hipster type joints, when you think of Dudleys, Luckys, Johns, Doll Society, Jackies, All my friends etc.

Its an interesting change away from the more traditional pub that used to dominate the area.

It feels to me like a smaller version of Shoreditch now, which is great and its good that some of the older pubs have still been retained.

Does anyone know if Drop Dead Twice is reopening after the fire?

Premier Inn opening in the Liberties this month should give it a further inflow of tourists, plus the new residents in the apartments in Newmarket Square.

Just wish the council would create a destination market at the Iveagh Market. That would really help cement the Liberties as a day/night location for Dubliners and tourists.

At the moment, its very much night only.

I also love the recently opened Tailors Hall pub in Christchurch. Worth a shout for something a little different.

There was also planning for a city market in the 8 building in Newmarket Square.

Part of the planning approval for that development stipulated that the owners returned a market to the square following redevelopment - something the council got right for a change.

That said, the owners have twice put in permission to change the space to a supermarket.

Their planning was rejected first time by the council and hopefully they reject again.

Its cases like this where the council should buy the space themselves and run a local market, to offset the Iveagh Market still being idle and the removal of the markets from Newmarket Square in the first place.

The council is just terrible at providing social ammenities for its residents.

No imagination and a total reliance on the private sector to deliver anything noteworthy.

Even if they just bought the space and handed it over to one of the groups that organises city markets and provided funding for them to maintain the market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The Magnet was completely closed on Thurs eve just past, wonder is it finally gone.

Post edited by retalivity on

Thats interesting.

It just hasnt worked as a bar in the way the other new places have.

They still have live music listings for november on their site. Including for tonight.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

"The council is just terrible at providing social ammenities for its residents.

No imagination and a total reliance on the private sector to deliver anything noteworthy."

Come on mate, the day when city councils ran non-essential facilities themselves are gone 50 years at this stage. Better to let the private citizenry take the risk and bring the ideas. Not council officials' job to figure out what hipsters want.

They are still there to provide services to the community and they approved that plan on condition of a market being available.

No reason why they couldnt put their money where their mouth is and fund it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,030 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There's a hell of a lot DCC can and should be doing without actually running things day to day themselves, just provide low-rent spaces to community projects etc. - and use planning to encourage desirable developments while preventing excessive office/hotel developments in an area at the expense of building a community there.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They wiped their Instagram posts and put up a 'back soon' one as the only post

Exactly.

If DCC bought the space and charged nominal rents to market traders, it would soon become a focal meeting point for the community, creating jobs in the process.

The council should be an enabler for community projects, not stood on the sidelines waiting for the private market to deliver.

Only in this country and only because we have the weakest and least empowered local government in a full democracy on the entire planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭mvt

Quite a broad statement but unfortunately also quite a true one & well put.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Anybody know anything about The Sackville, at side of Clerys. I seen a lot of work been done on site and it seems to have got a fresh lick of paint. Wonder if they are going to reopen. It was a great little pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Hopefully has been bought to be reopened as a pub. Although the area is a binfire.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Not sure if it was sold. The last guy was only leasing. Not sure who owns it. Since most of the building has finished in Clerys, the place looks a lot better.

Yeah, improvements to that area have certainly been made with the work on Clerys.

It is a shame Flannels looks like it wont open in Clerys now, as that would have brought additional footfall to the area and would have helped the local hospitality businesses.

Our inept govt will never put in any meaningful action at O'Connell St.

Removing the drug treatment centres, building mixed housing deveopments and policing the area properly, including banning trouble causing individuals from the area, is never going to happen.

Clerys will be lipstick on the pig, sadly.

Good luck to any business that opens down there, but I personally wouldnt go near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

It seems the Hampton Hotel (formerly Sachs) is now closed. I was there last year and they had done a very good job renovating it and the food was very nice so it's sad to see it's gone.

On Daft now it says that "Former Hampton Hotel, 19-29 Morehampton Road, Donnybrook" is for sale for €12.5 million: https://www.daft.ie/commercial-property-for-sale/former-hampton-hotel-19-29-morehampton-road-donnybrook-dublin-4/5441520

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

• Advertisement

McGowans really should be something good as opposed to just a spot for old people to drink tea after cremations.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It's crazy that a pub in a small town centre had been closed so long. A quick Google, it's been lying empty since 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

This practice of erasing posts is known as "Astro - Turfing" in the IT sense. Prevalent on Reddit and other platforms in the US, it's slowly gaining use here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,030 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Astroturfing is the practice of putting up fake posts / reviews supposedly from real people but actually from the owner or people related to / employed by them.

Life ain't always empty.

For Restaurants and Cafes with fake reviews, it has to be Gastroturfing.

MVP closed in the summer for renovations, never re-opened. Looks like there is now a CPO in for the building as part of busconnects and a potential Harold's cross bridge widening...

Shame. Place looked like it had potential to be fun with MVP and Baste BBQ but nah. Bus lanes and a few apartments where Baste was. How dull.

It's not shown as being CPOed on the maps? Are there newer docs?

Latest I can find is they're buying the land outside 24-28. MVP is 29. No buildings being bought

Comment on their FB page about a notice posted outside the building, ill try have a look next time im out that way

• Advertisement

Thats a shame. Was a great pub.

We can have too many people on too many buses with nowhere to go.

Advertisement