Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do so many people believe in a God?

Options
  • 14-07-2014 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

For a moment, I don't want to argue over whether or not a god exists--I want to know why so many people believe that one does. I usually receive generalized answers to this--"it comforts people," or "they were indoctrinated into the belief," and such related answers.

It doesn't baffle me so much that people believe that a god exists, but rather that a lot of people believe that a god exists. I could understand it if a portion of the population were theists, but I'm surprised the theist/atheist makeup of the population isn't at least around equal parts. Instead, the majority still believes in the existence of a god.

To think about why a person would believe in a god just confounds me. Everything about life, everything we know so far about existence, tells me that one most likely does not exist. Even with a fair analysis of the arguments for and against the existence of a god, the arguments against one existing are clearly superior. I'm not belittling the person who believes in a god, I am simply expressing my inability to understand why they believe it.

It is true that belief in a god and religion provides comfort to those people...but surely the understand that, just because you believe something to be true and it gives you comfort, does not actually mean that it IS true? I mean, if people at least considered this possibility, then they would move on to examine the legitimacy of their beliefs. And thus, I would expect more and more theists to lose their beliefs, but instead they maintain them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Moral maturity I suppose, or immaturity, depending on your perspective at any given moment in time -

Yes, I did. But then I found God and gained moral maturity.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭pqdvdplayer

**** off you stupid prick

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Well that's not a very nice thing to say now is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

It's all going well so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Another thread off to a great start! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Epic FAIL is epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

A lot of the older generations just didn't have the same foundations in science or exposure to science that the younger generations now do. Probably correlates well with an age/faith plot.

I'm not specifically stating that science = atheistic views, but if you've got an understanding of it you sort of apply the scientific method to ideas such as "god" and realize just how "believable" it really is. Older generations making up the bulk of believers wouldn't have grown up being able to question such things, and have just believed what's been taught to them from the word go. Others just merely follow the herd, because it's the easier choice not to question.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭RB94

As a Christian, I think that the legal age should be raised to 21 like in the US. This country is loosing its moral (religous) credibility fast.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Another, another!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Is that from the FIRST LETTER OF ST. PAUL TO THE CORINTHIANS?

• Advertisement

mikom wrote: »
    Is that from the FIRST LETTER OF ST. PAUL TO THE CORINTHIANS?

I think that was the one and only letter the Corinthians wrote back to St. Paul.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Have a week's holiday. You might want to check out the forum charter before you post again.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭JC01

I don't post on here often, but have a browse very now and then and Jesus Christ (excuse the pun) is the Church on some sorta undercover mission or something? This is the second thread today iv notices babbling on about some crac to start a conversation that the OP ( both times evidently a fairy-fearing Bibleist) has no interest in partaking in.

The ironic thing is heaven forbid a dirty foul-living atheist would go to the Christianity forum and start trolling, they'd be banned in minutes?

To think about why a person would believe in a god just confounds me. Everything about life, everything we know so far about existence, tells me that one most likely does not exist.

I think I can pinpoint the moment where the OP went from absolute certainty, to portraying some doubt and beginning their quick transition to praising The Lord Jebus.

At first confounded by the possibility, only for divine intervention to creep doubt into their mind a mere few keystrokes later.

With this clear miracle, I am no longer a dirty heathen and have been converted. Cheers, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I usually receive generalized answers to this--"it comforts people," or "they were indoctrinated into the belief," and such related answers.

I think the reason you are not satisfied with the answers you have received to date is that there is no one good or universal answer to the question. Rather there are so many reasons for it that any one believer could be a believer for any one or more of them combined.

Indoctrination is certainly a big factor. We are a species that has evolved to require extended nurturing from parents and as such we are inclined to lend instant credence to much of what they tell us. We are also a species slow and unwilling to change so such indoctrination sticks and we are constitutionally unwilling to drop them later in life, holding on to them stridently and jealously as we age.

Comfort against the realities of death and other such insecurities and fears is certainly another good example which you gave.

But there are others too. For example we have evolved what Dennett and others refer to as "The intentional stance" and "Hyperactive agency detection". What this means in plain english is we are all but hard wired to look at events and things and say "Who did that.... why.... and what is their intention towards me?". As such it is a very natural side effect for this to extend to not just the existence around us.... but existence itself. Who did it? Why? To what end or purpose? It is only a small step from there to "god".

Further one of our most powerful capabilities as humans is to personify things. We do this in problem solving and art and literature and more. We simply have a powerful penchant for personification. And so good is this personification capability that often the personifications seem more real to us than their real life counter parts. We can also in this way represent the minds and intentions and rationale of others in our own mind, almost like running virtual computer servers. And again these can be more real to us than reality. As any teenager sneaking home after curfew will attest as the parents we represent in our heads waiting for us at home with anger and recriminations in our eyes are often more terrifying than the real ones who are waiting when we get there.

It is no surprise again therefore that humans personify not just the reality around them but reality itself. In the form of a "god" or some such. And again the step from such internal personifications to actually believing those personifications REAL is not as large as one might expect.

Yet another example we can point to is simply human ignorance and lack of education. Education has been shown to at least correlate with lack of religiosity in many ways. And it is no surprise why. The "God of the gaps" argument is as powerful as it is insidious and many people fall for this canard. Education and knowledge push back the frontiers of the playing field of ignorance in which "god of the gaps" can play.

Emotions have a big part to play in things too. People often will believe arguments or positions from emotion even when all the evidence, or lack of it, undermines any such belief. The work of VS Ramachandran on Capgrah syndrome is massively informative as an example here. This syndrome is where due to a lack of a given emotion at the correct time.... patients are willing to construct and maintain the most fantastical conspiracy theories..... to justify their emotional state...... than face simple reality about what is causing that state. And so patients will actively believe someone has, for example, entirely replaced their mother with a near perfect but fake replica...... than accept the simple and demonstratable fact that they have simply got damage to one neural pathway. The sad fact is our species is happier to have belief systems that conform to our emotional state than have belief systems that conform to actual reality.

There are only some examples and I can lay out many more, but that should suffice. The point really is that a quest to understand why people believe such things is not going to turn you up some neat and simple answers. Rather than answers are legion and they work in isolation or in combination on each believer out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,389 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Simple answer is that it promises probably the greatest rewards one could wish for (eternal life, seeing loved ones after you/they die, deity watching over you and protecting you, comfort in death etc) without ever having to fulfill any of them. You only get these things once you die, which means when you die and it's not true, you'll never know. You still hold it to be true until the second of your death, and then nothing.

It's the reward you'll never get but will never know you never got.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Coz God if he exists might kneecap you if you don't show him respect bro !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I laughed out loud here in work when I saw this, wasn't expecting that so quickly :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Another simple answer is that people like to have answers to their questions and they don't really want to get an answer that leads to more questions.

"I can't fully answer that because I don't really know" is a common atheist answer to life's big questions such as where do we come from and where are we going. I personally can't answer with any great authority about the big-bang/abiogenesis, etc. and I generally have more questions than answers myself. All I can ever say is that I feel fine about not having the answers.

Theists have answers to those questions that are much simpler to give and can be easily passed on by rote learning within families, backed up by large authoritative organisations and a few ancient books, and while I personally don't believe their answers, an awful lot of people maybe prefer to believe them because they don't require (in fact, actively discourage) further questioning.

Maybe most people are not fine about not having the answers and are prepared to stop asking questions even when they hear an answer that isn't supported by any proof?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Why do so many people believe in a God?
    God knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

The simple answer is that a lot of people don't spend much time thinking about it. It's uncomfortable to question everything you believe in so most people bury those thoughts.

My dad left school at the age of 12, so trying to explain the concept of evolution to him is difficult, especially when he's so skeptical of 'scientist's and 'experts'. At least he admits that Adam and eve is daft, but he doesn't stretch his thinking much further.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

In short, people don't like to feel small and unimportant... But that's what we are as a species in the greater scale of things

Nothing wrong with that, it's just how we are. But it scares or unsettles some people.

The universe will keep on ticking just fine for billions of years after our species is dust just like it did for billions of years before we existed.

We won't be missed by the universe no more then we miss a clump of algae on some rock in some sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Jim Rockford

Well that escalated quickly.

The stock answer, to be unquestionably learned off by heart, is that theists are a combination of less intelligent, been mentally abused by their parents, have poor education, are irrational, have been brainwashed, and are all round thicks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

I'm not specifically stating that science = atheistic views,

I wouldn't be too suprised if the correlation between a person's lack of religion or belief in god (more people today admit to a lack of belief in any god than to atheism, despite both things being the same) and their working in a scientific field, to be indicative of correlation, especially when you consider that the lack of belief is more prevalent in the hard disciplines (like physics) than in the soft disciplines (like psychology).

RB94 wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Wow three days from expressing christianity to expressing total disgust at anything with any association with christianity. Is that a new record?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

I think a lot of people are told its true at a young age, accept it, get on with their lives, become lapsed and don't ponder it too much after as career, mortgage, World Cup etc are more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Tomblyboo

I'm a Christian now. The things that drove me crazy growing up was how everyone works at fault-finding with different religions. The people I don't understand are atheists. I go surfing and snow boarding and I'm always around nature. I look at everything and think, 'Who couldn't believe there's a God? Is all this a mistake?' It just blows me away.

Well that escalated quickly.

The stock answer, to be unquestionably learned off by heart, is that theists are less intelligent, been mentally abused by their parents, have poor education, are irrational, have been brainwashed, and are all round thicks.

So you don't like vulgarity, but you are perfectly happy with vicious and untrue stereotyping?

Not very edifying of you is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Vivisectus

I think religion is so pervasive because we are essentially a story-telling ape, and we fear what we do not understand because we cannot predict what we cannot understand. This is logical: the unknown is scary. The unpredictable could kill you. So if we create a story that seems to explain everything by simply stating that supernatural powers control the things we do not yet understand, then we gain the feeling that we have some control. It is comforting and psychologically attractive to give ourselves a central place in this narrative.

All religions depict a universe that is not just ordered and governed, but one that is ordered by something that cares about us humans specifically. They may sometimes be demons and devils as well as good spirits and gods, but at least our actions are of some import to them, and often we can even influence their decisions through ritual, prayer, or sacrifice.

By re-imagining the universe as human-centric and governed by anthropomorphic intelligences we dispel some of the fear that comes with living in an unpredictable universe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Vivisectus

Tomblyboo wrote: »
    I'm a Christian now. The things that drove me crazy growing up was how everyone works at fault-finding with different religions. The people I don't understand are atheists. I go surfing and snow boarding and I'm always around nature. I look at everything and think, 'Who couldn't believe there's a God? Is all this a mistake?' It just blows me away.

There are nice things that I find amazing, therefor God?

Advertisement