Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Radio comms in your organisation

Options
  • 13-07-2014 8:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi Folks,

I'm currently putting together a website for walkie talkie parts/accessories etc.

I'd be interested to hear what models of hand held the volunteer sector is using, as I regularly get asked do I have earpieces/headsets/batteries chargers etc for individuals who unfortunately have to buy their own.

Any info is highly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

Glencree wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I'm currently putting together a website for walkie talkie parts/accessories etc.

I'd be interested to hear what models of hand held the volunteer sector is using, as I regularly get asked do I have earpieces/headsets/batteries chargers etc for individuals who unfortunately have to buy their own.

No set standard nationally in OMAC... Majority of units in Dublin would historically have icom.... I've seen others with various Motorola and the odd Kenwood

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

There is a set standard in OMAC its just not followed as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Glencree

It's looking that way. Selected few Senior officers issued with tetra in most organisations. Then local units appear to have mixture of gear, bought, donated or held together with sticky tape!!.

miju wrote: »

What is it

What is it

Exactly my point , you have to ask on boards for it to be provided

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

miju wrote: »

Wasn't aware of a standard but all radio sales/servicing/commissioning etc is done through the one place - in theory stops units or members acquiring radios and doing a bad job of programming them.

timmywex wrote: »
    Wasn't aware of a standard but all radio sales/servicing/commissioning etc is done through the one place - in theory stops units or members acquiring radios and doing a bad job of programming them.

Thats a standard (or part of one anyways :pac: )

I know of the recommendations regarding suppliers but in regards to the op's question I'm not aware of any circular/SOP for which brands to go for....

I know of the recommendations regarding suppliers but in regards to the op's question I'm not aware of any circular/SOP for which brands to go for....

It should be filtered down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭lighterman

It's looking that way. Selected few Senior officers issued with tetra in most organisations. Then local units appear to have mixture of gear, bought, donated or held together with sticky tape!!.

Is the tetra units common among the vols

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

lighterman wrote: »
    Is the tetra units common among the vols

The only vol org (to the very best of my knowledge) with Tetra Radio is Civil Defense.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

Order of Malta did a test with Tetra recently. They are definitely the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭knockon

Hi Folks,

Not sure about volunteers but lots of companies, construction etc use these...
    www.wildtalk.com

Great for second hand, repairs etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

These look very interesting, based on the phone system. Its basically your own tetra system. http://www.andromedadigital.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭searescue

Few using Moto GP340's. Others using Kenwood and Icom.

I've even seen one of the largest org's in Dublin using Baofeng.

CD TETRA use Sepuras.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭bk1991

I am a member of the Redcross and we use simoco

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭waterfordham

Seen Icom F4-GT, Yeasu and Simoco in CD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

Would it be handy to have a tetra type system in your organisation BUT a lot cheaper? This would allow you to have local channels and still contact someone anywhere in the country.

Pataman wrote: »
    Would it be handy to have a tetra type system in your organisation BUT a lot cheaper? This would allow you to have local channels and still contact someone anywhere in the country.

Mobile phones... ..

Fulfils must requirements

Advertisement