Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for protecting hens

Options
  • 13-07-2014 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    I'm looking for suggestions for keeping the hens safe and keeping out any predictors. We've converted a playhouse into a chicken coop with a large run connected off out the side. After our last set of hens getting killed by minks/stotes we dug about a foot down aroubd the perimeter of the run and filled with cement and connected it into the mesh to stop anything burrowing under, we've also a cement foundation under the base of the house. While we were clearing the long grass from the run the dog was wandering around inside the run and something attacked her and we think bit the dog as she let out a loud yelp and shot off down the yard. Any idea what would of attacked her?

I was letting the hens out this morning and found a fairly big hole had been chewed out of the corner of the door. Any suggestions on what to do with the doors to stop anything chewing through the door and any other general tips on keeping the hens safe?

All the small gaps and the celing in the house have been filled with filler and mesh. Would putting a mesh roof over the run help keep out predictors? The run itself is around 7ft in height. There's a lot of foxes and minks/stotes in our area as there's a woods beside the house.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Mugatuu wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I'm looking for suggestions for keeping the hens safe and keeping out any predictors. We've converted a playhouse into a chicken coop with a large run connected off out the side. After our last set of hens getting killed by minks/stotes we dug about a foot down aroubd the perimeter of the run and filled with cement and connected it into the mesh to stop anything burrowing under, we've also a cement foundation under the base of the house. While we were clearing the long grass from the run the dog was wandering around inside the run and something attacked her and we think bit the dog as she let out a loud yelp and shot off down the yard. Any idea what would of attacked her?

I was letting the hens out this morning and found a fairly big hole had been chewed out of the corner of the door. Any suggestions on what to do with the doors to stop anything chewing through the door and any other general tips on keeping the hens safe?

All the small gaps and the celing in the house have been filled with filler and mesh. Would putting a mesh roof over the run help keep out predictors? The run itself is around 7ft in height. There's a lot of foxes and minks/stotes in our area as there's a woods beside the house.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

The gnawed holes in the door sounds like rats after food. Do you feed the hens in the coop? Feed in the morning and remove feed at night so rats don't have access to the feeder.

To keep hens safe while out I would suggest electric fowl fencing like this - will keep our foxes, dogs etc and keep hens contained. Wired up to an electric fence unit it will keep most things out tbh.

http://www.maceoinltd.com/chicken-fencing-netting/50m-1.1m-high-hotline-electric-poultry-netting-with-posts/

The run you are using no harm putting netting or other cover other to keep out predators and wild birds as well.

Keep up pest control - either covered bait stations or live traps and get rid of of whatever you catch. Rats will get more troublesome if they find a free unlimited food supply.

Best of luck with the hens. Btw have you put up roosts in the chicken house for perching and include best boxes for egg laying?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

gozunda wrote: »
    The gnawed holes in the door sounds like rats after food. Do you feed the hens in the coop? Feed in the morning and remove feed at night so rats don't have access to the feeder.

To keep hens safe while out I would suggest electric fowl fencing like this - will keep our foxes, dogs etc and keep hens contained. Wired up to an electric fence unit it will keep most things out tbh.

http://www.maceoinltd.com/chicken-fencing-netting/50m-1.1m-high-hotline-electric-poultry-netting-with-posts/

The run you are using no harm putting netting or other cover other to keep out predators and wild birds as well.

Keep up pest control - either covered bait stations or live traps and get rid of of whatever you catch. Rats will get more troublesome if they find a free unlimited food supply.

Best of luck with the hens. Btw have you put up roosts in the chicken house for perching and include best boxes for egg laying?

Thanks for your response!
    We had the feeder hanging from the ceiling (we've done this for years which the old bunch and only ever had the odd mouse but I'd say well take them in at night if its rats gnawing at the door)

Will look into getting electic fencing, my sisters dog previously got in and did away with our old bunch so that should keep him out for sure!

I think we're putting some of the bendy mental at the end of the inside of the door to stop anything chewing through so hopefully that might do the trick. Well look into some traps as well!

We have an old set of horse jumps that we put in for them to perch on and 2 big branches for them to climb on in the run.
    There's 3 nesting boxes set up and a grit box so there's no fear of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

A fox ate through the bottom of my neighbours coop door to get at her hens, so it could have been a fox not just rats. I think you said your coop is inside a run though? Definately put some metal on the bottom of your door.

as Gozunda said, take in your feed overnight - the rats will have it once they find its available.

I have a net 'roof' over the top of my run - best thing I invested in for the hens - keeps wild birds out with their diseases and eating hens food. I have a second bigger run for 'retired' hens - too big to net over - the crows have the hens there plagued - I have to stand there til the hens get to eat a bit or the crows have it gone in seconds

The most important way to protect your hens is to prevent foxes/stoats/whatever being able to get under the fence wire, but sounds like you have that covered.

Dont forget to WORM your hens too - and check them for mites/lice/fleas and the dreaded red mite!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

aonb wrote: »
    A fox ate through the bottom of my neighbours coop door to get at her hens, so it could have been a fox not just rats. I think you said your coop is inside a run though? Definately put some metal on the bottom of your door.

as Gozunda said, take in your feed overnight - the rats will have it once they find its available.

I have a net 'roof' over the top of my run - best thing I invested in for the hens - keeps wild birds out with their diseases and eating hens food. I have a second bigger run for 'retired' hens - too big to net over - the crows have the hens there plagued - I have to stand there til the hens get to eat a bit or the crows have it gone in seconds

The most important way to protect your hens is to prevent foxes/stoats/whatever being able to get under the fence wire, but sounds like you have that covered.

Dont forget to WORM your hens too - and check them for mites/lice/fleas and the dreaded red mite!

Will def put netting over the run on Monday. What would you recommended treating the hens with for worms and lice/ticks? Can't remember the name of the stuff we used to use on them for lice but it wasn't very strong, it was in a tiny dropper and clear in colour, it was just a few drops underneath their feathers and onto the skin but we would have to treat them a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I got a pond net to put on top of the run - it was in a pound shop (or similar) - I bought x2 and just overlapped them. Its fantastic.

For WORMS the only thing that will work 100% is FLUBENVET. There is no egg withdrawal. You just put it in their food for x7 days. They should be treated about 3 times/year. You can get this from a good feed store. It costs E20 but with only a few hens will do you for years

I dont like to add too much chemical-wise to my hens (or us or the garden!) so for lice/fleas etc I use DIATOMACEOUS EARTH. This is 100% natural. I put it in their coops, in their nest boxes, in their dustbath to prevent lice/fleas (and hopefully the dreaded red mite) It can be added to their food (and for dogs/cats too!) for internal parasites/worms (though for the hens I only trust Flubenvet for internal worms. Worms can kill a hen) I get mine online at http://www.organicanimalfeeds.ie/ but there are may online suppliers now, you can check them out to compare prices.

Or you can get a dropper anti-lice solution as you mentioned, but I dont know what they're called - you can ask your vet or if you have a good local feed or farm supply store

• Advertisement
Advertisement