Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much did your house cost?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Four Goats, 2 KG of Turmeric and a Albino Lama.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

300k. Having looked into when the euro came in, it was not in punts after all.

Guess what - mortgage free in 15 years!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

It hit somewhere north of 3 million during the boom, probably about 1 now. Yeah, I should have sold, but there you go. You gotta live somewhere.

Flash git :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Markcheese wrote: »
    210,000 euro about 8 years ago . Had to renovate last year so add 40 k , on the plus side I'm on a tracker so the lifetime cost (total over 35 years) is a lot lower than if I tried to buy now with a low purchase price but higher interest rate. :-)
    (I keep telling myself that anyway)

Good way to look at it. If you bought somewhere where you're happy to love in for the forseable future, what does it matter on the value if you're paying less per month than someone who paid less than you to buy, but more in mortgage payments due to the higher interest rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

The sacrifice of four naked virgins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭akura

The auld pair bought it 27 years ago for £16k Punts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

I think it was 213,000.

Already thinking of buying next door and having a mansion :D only in this house a month

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

too feckin much, and I bought mine when it was cool to own property

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Markcheese wrote: »
    210,000 euro about 8 years ago . Had to renovate last year so add 40 k , on the plus side I'm on a tracker so the lifetime cost (total over 35 years) is a lot lower than if I tried to buy now with a low purchase price but higher interest rate. :-)
    (I keep telling myself that anyway)

What's a tracker mortgage? :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

I think you misunderstood the question.

Doubtful. I distinctly remember buying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Dredd_J

Sold house in Ireland a number of years ago so currently houseless.
    Apartment in London cost £80k back in the day.

Was only talking to the lads in work about negative equity today.
    4 out of 4 of them were till in negative equity two years ago. And they all thought the were fcuked forever.
    Going on recent sales in their areas only 1 of them is still in negative equity, but not by much.
    Funny how fast things change. Things are looking up for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

It hit somewhere north of 3 million during the boom, probably about 1 now. Yeah, I should have sold, but there you go. You gotta live somewhere.

Eh, you live in the arse end of Kildare.
    Your entire village is probably worth less than 1 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

Current one in Chiang Mai ,the equivalent of 33,000 Euros .Last one in Waterford Ireland 190,000 euros .One before that in Wexford 185,000 euros .One before that in Dublin ,zero as i inherited it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

11,000,000yen, for an apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

€180,000 to build it, but I've spent the guts of another 15 k between furnishing it and doing the lawns, stone walls etc that I didn't really think about at the time of building.

29 years left on the mortgage :(

But at least it's a tracker :)

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Zane97

€160000 march 2012. €660 a month ... No tracker for me... 35 year mortgage . 4.3%

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭stoutykid

275,000....:( worth €130,000 now if we were lucky. And to rub salt in the wound we both live 50km from work so 100K round trip each day. We bought height of 2007.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

270k but on the positive we have a tracker and it's a decent house that we plan to stay in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

185k for my current house plus 90k for an apartment abroad. Will all be paid off in 10 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 gizafagila

50,000 Punts, 45K mortgage, 3 bed semi, thought we would never pay it back, sold it for 180,500 euro after 8 years, bought a 4 bed semi for 222,500, owe about 70k, on a tracker, about 7 or 8 years left on it.

Could be a lot worse

He he... Semi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 albertwygant

It depends on the horse, its breeding, conformation, dispositing, level of training, show history, color, etc....lots of things factor into it. In the midwest right now you can get a horse for $20 at an auction...maybe even free ones. If you want a green broke horse, it might cost $200. If you want a registered, well-broke trail horse, I would be prepared to spend around $2500. And prices go up from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

^^^ But who'll take the horse to France???

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CunhuntMoran

Bought for €220K in 2010 down from €650 8months earlier.

Now worth €310

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

Good way to look at it. If you bought somewhere where you're happy to love in for the forseable future, what does it matter on the value if you're paying less per month than someone who paid less than you to buy, but more in mortgage payments due to the higher interest rate.

Errr......yes, quite.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

1988. 26,000 punts. Average 3 bed semi.
    Nearly backed out of deal because I was worried about getting that deep in debt. 2 years before that a mate was left a house in Smithfield , an old council house with an outside toilet, he offered it to me for 3, 500 cash. Thats not a typo.

I think back then an average worker could buy an average house in the Dublin area for aprx 2 years of his gross salary. If you had a secure factory job or something like that you could do a lot better. Something went seriously wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The cost of solicitor fees and stamp duty, I was given the family home when I was 20 years old, along with the farm.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Parents bought it in '90, I think. £50K.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭dirtyden

1988. 26,000 punts. Average 3 bed semi.
    Nearly backed out of deal because I was worried about getting that deep in debt. 2 years before that a mate was left a house in Smithfield , an old council house with an outside toilet, he offered it to me for 3, 500 cash. Thats not a typo.

I think back then an average worker could buy an average house in the Dublin area for aprx 2 years of his gross salary. If you had a secure factory job or something like that you could do a lot better. Something went seriously wrong

It is crazy how things have changed. I bought a few years ago and I remember having a number of discussions with my dad about buying now compared to when he would have bought our old family house. Back than you would have needed at the very least quarter of the price up front in general, as well as having some serious security most likely provided by your parents house/farm/business versus the loan. But the average house price was as you have said somewhere between 2-4 times a decent annual income. Houses were cheaper and credit was more expensive but much harder access.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

IR£32,500 in 1986. To put it in to perspective, I was earning IR£11,500 per annum at the time

Advertisement