Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westsportif 160km - 19th July

Options
  • 11-07-2014 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭

Didn't see a thread on this so thought I'd kick one off. Anyone doing it? I'm doing the 160km myself, will be my longest spin but training has been going well so confident!

The 160 profile doesn't look too arduous in terms of climbing, although I can't see a figure for elevation on the mapmyride. Anyone know what the figure is?

Should be a great 'Aprés Spin' in Westport, really looking forward to the Criterium that has been organised for that evening.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

nearly 1400 metres of climbing which is much the same as the Tour de Connemara. Maam X to Maam, Ail Dubh and Maam Trasna are the worst parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭G1032

Ya. I'll hopefully be doing the 160 also. Looking forward to it. It's a lovely cycle no doubt. Shoulder and back a bit injured at the moment though so they'll need to get sorted quickly or there might be no Westportif for me.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

thekooman wrote: »
    nearly 1400 metres of climbing which is much the same as the Tour de Connemara. Maam X to Maam, Ail Dubh and Maam Trasna are the worst parts.

Cheers! Ok not the worst but should still be a nice challenge.

Best of luck with the recovery G1032, hopefully you'll be able to make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

Heading along there. Looking forward to a part of the country I have not been to/ dont know very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

would definitely recommend riding with a group if its anyway windy cos its very open for the middle 100... but you'll enjoy the views.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

http://www.strava.com/activities/68449920
    Just 1 of many in a Strava search for Westportif and 1080-1090m is the climb variant
    The 3 Climbs come ina 20km stretch from 90ish onwards and are very similar about 2km each.
    This whole route is rolling after Louisburgh and the wind could play a big part. Its hard to read as you are riding thru valleys and can be changing all day.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Thinking of doing the 80k would prefer 100-120k not sure im ready for 160k just yet but looks a nice route.
    We had planned a family visit to the area to visit friends over the summer so seems a nice time get in that visit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭DUBintheSTICKS

I'm coming up from Kilkenny to do the 160km, visiting family is the excuse. It will be the longest distance I've done to date so a bit apprehensive

Weather not looking too good for this. Very heavy showers forecast for tomorrow which roughly translated means it'll be p!ssing rain all day!!

G1032 wrote: »
    Weather not looking too good for this. Very heavy showers forecast for tomorrow which roughly translated means it'll be p!ssing rain all day!!

At least the wind doesn't look too bad!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

IF the weather is good then its a gorgeous ride especially around Killary and Lough Mask. Some nice leg warming climbs. Numbers up around 800 doing all distances.
    The Crit is on them tomorrow evening in Westport if anyone is around drop in for a luck. Should be a good event.
    Good luck to everyone in the sportive.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭ironkiwi

Can you register on the morning of the sportive, had a change of plans and might actually be able to make it

yop wrote: »
    IF the weather is good then its a gorgeous ride especially around Killary and Lough Mask. Some nice leg warming climbs. Numbers up around 800 doing all distances.
    The Crit is on them tomorrow evening in Westport if anyone is around drop in for a luck. Should be a good event.
    Good luck to everyone in the sportive.

Looking forward to the Crit tomorrow evening, that is if my first post sportif pint doesn't send me straight to sleep!!

Anyone in particular to watch out for?

ironkiwi wrote: »
    Can you register on the morning of the sportive, had a change of plans and might actually be able to make it

I think you can. It'll cost €5 more than if you booked on line.
    This is copied from the website

You can sign up at registration for €50 (with jersey), €40 (without jersey) for both the 80/160k events. 40k is the regular price of €35 (with jersey), €20 (without jersey)

http://www.westportif.ie/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

ironkiwi wrote: »

You can indeed. Will have to make extra sandwiches! :D
    Looking forward to the Crit tomorrow evening, that is if my first post sportif pint doesn't send me straight to sleep!!

The pint is needed for calorie replacement :D
    Hope the weather dries up for all events. It will be warm though so will be warm and wet!!!

Not sure to be honest, I'm out so you are sound :p I wouldn't know anything about who is good or bad in the crit. Good field due to turn up, but the weather could hamper that a bit.

Full briefing before the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭markusz

it'll be LiquidWorx Fitscience pushing for a win i'd say as its part of the Crit Series:
    stickybottle.com/races-results/having-the-crit-series-yellow-is-fantastic-but-im-targeting-a-big-ride-in-the-national-champs/
    stickybottle.com/races-results/paddy-clarke-takes-galway-crit-victory-and-yellow-jersey-in-new-connacht-series/

Im doing the 80k route,travelling over from Kildare this evening.
    Whats the road back to Castlebar like for cycling?
    Id like to get in 100k so might cycle back to our accommodation in Castlebar afterwards.
    Im doing it alone so hopefully ill get into a group of similar pace to mine.

Any idea of numbers for the 80k?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭markusz

Dcully wrote: »
    Id like to get in 100k so might cycle back to our accommodation in Castlebar afterwards.

its a busy national road and from what i know Castlebar and westport cycle clubs would avoid it on club spins because of that. but people cycle it all the time... just wear a high-viz to be sure but it should be ok.

The road from Westport to Castlebar is fab with a west wind behind you!! Busy road but smooth surface. Lovely to cycle on. 4 or 5 strava segments on it too if you're interested in that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

You will have no prob finding a group on the 80. I know there are Western Lakes cc and Tri lakes members going and Im sure plenty of Covies will be out

If you feel up to 120 there is a lovely option to follow the 160 to Leenane and take the left and then rejoin the 160 at the bottom of Ail Dubh climb( sign posted for Finny ). It cuts out the Inagh Valley /MaamCross/ Maam section but you get the beauty of Lough naFooey and Lough Mask stretch which you dont get on the 80 and its alot nicer than the Westport to Castlebar rd.
    A bit of a climb out of Leenane but its worth it.

• Advertisement

I would think there will be more doing the 80k so out of the 800 doing it I would say 1/2 will definitely do the 80k. It will be a solid 160k so can't see too many newbies trying that one :D

Ah ya that road is sound, nice hill into and out of westport but outside of that its pretty flat and as said a few nice strava segments to test against the locals ;)
    What time you leaving Cbar at? I might be out in the morning myself on that road for an hour.

Ill drive to westport from castlebar, well wife dropping me.
    Was thinking of going back to CB after the event just to bring me to close to 100k.

yop wrote: »
    You can indeed. Will have to make extra sandwiches! :D

The pint is needed for calorie replacement :D
    Hope the weather dries up for all events. It will be warm though so will be warm and wet!!!

Not sure to be honest, I'm out so you are sound :p I wouldn't know anything about who is good or bad in the crit. Good field due to turn up, but the weather could hamper that a bit.

Full briefing before the race.

Better have 8 or 9 so just to make sure all those calories I'll lose tomorrow are replenished :p

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy a jersey tonight? And will it end up costing the same as if I had selected the jersey option when registering? (ie, around 10-15 quid)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭seanin4711

I'm coming up from Kilkenny to do the 160km, visiting family is the excuse. It will be the longest distance I've done to date so a bit apprehensive

i will tuck in if i can!!!
    looks sorta ok for tomorrow
    http://www.accuweather.com/en/ie/westport/210441/hourly-weather-forecast/210441?hour=33
    the odd show warm and little breeze.
    almost ideal!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

I did the 160 today, my first time doing that distance.

I'm a member of the local club so disregard my views if you think I'm biased.

I had a really enjoyable day out. The weather was perfect. Not a drop of rain and calm but for an inconvenient north breeze in our faces for the last 20 km.

Anyone I spoke to was full of praise for the event. I think the scenery is pretty special on this route but I would say that, being from here.

I'd love to hear the opinions of Boardsies who were here, good or bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delynet

Great event @snailsong and the weather was good too. Plenty of food at the stops and many groups to choose from.

The 20k after Maam Cross was tough with the climbs. I struggled on the last 20k from home. Legs were gone but I overdid it this week with running and a rare game of golf. Two guys caught up with me and I kept with them for the last 10k, could not have come at a better time.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/544789310

Will be signing up again next year. One of the best events in the west and they have crit racing from 7 in the town.

Snailsong, I am a Dub and fully agree. What a route and a beautiful day. The only negative was that blasted headwind that was supposed to be a tailwind for the last 10k back into Westport!!

First 160 and did it in 6:10 including 30 minutes of breaks overall. Stiff today!

oh and the Crit was great fun too - one of the u14 juniors looked as though he would have taken the senior event too!

It was a brilliant day. Scenery was absolutely fantastic. Roads a bit rough in parts but I knew what to expect there anyway. The headwind back into Westport was a killer but I got dropped shortly after Tourmakeady and that made it more difficult. I managed to catch an Armagh guy and we worked for a km or two and caught another guyl. Myself and Armagh then took turns at the front for the last 15km or so and our group grew to 5 or 6 with just the two of us working at the front. That kind of irked me a bit but what can you do?? I saw a lot of that throughout the day..........people tucking in and getting a free ride the whole way around.

Anyway, it was an absolutely superb day all round. Great food stops, met a lot of sound people, beautiful weather and scenery. What more could you want??

I did 167km total after I cycled back home. (6hrs 9mins for the sportive)
    Managed an average speed of 30.1km/hr for the day with total of 53 minutes stops (including at the end of the sportive wondering would I keep going to get the 100 miles in!!!). Delighted with that.

Looking forward to next year already.........but it'll be hard to beat yesterday

• Advertisement

Amazing day, incredibly well run,scenery stunning,food stop had anything you could possibly imagine,i only had an orange myself.
    Marshalls were excellent and really encouraged the riders with a "well done" as we went by.
    I done the 80k well it turned into 85k as the food stop was at a lovely scenic village called Leehaun a bit off the route but a stunning little place.
    Great route with some nice climbs from Leehaun back towards Westport.
    I was so impressed with the scenery i drove the route again afterwards with the wife and kids to show them the amazing views and stopped off in Leehaun for a while..

My only issue was the crash i got caught up in about 5k from home,it seemed as if someone infront swerved then the guy behind him slammed on the brakes and i had nowhere to go only to the left into a grass as there was another rider to my right as soon as i hit the few inches of grass verge i was down hard onto the tarmac to my right, and then took a smack from the next guy behind into the ribs [the same guy who was taking a free ride behind me for the last 30k] as i got my teeth into the headwind.
    Sore elbow and ribs now,ribs very sore when in bed or lying down but fine when i sit/stand.

My main concern was the bike, upon checking it out the rear ultegra derailer was a tad bent but i had a few gears go get home thinking ill get the mechanic that was advertised to be on site to take a look only to be told he never showed up.
    Someone advised me to go to the bike shop near the church,the guy in there was simply amazing.
    Straight away he popped the bike up on the stand, straightened the derailer with surgical precision, tested everything on the bike for me and informed me nothing is damaged just a couple of scrapes, delighted.com
    He refused to take any money and patted me on the back and said thanks for supporting our club,what a gentleman.

Apart from that it was an amazing event,terribly well run,will definitely do next years.

http://www.strava.com/activities/167920935

Advertisement