Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The game-changers of each decade.

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    M5? The market wasn't already saturated with crossovers at the time. What other crossovers were out at the time? I'm not talking about small jeeps like you are referring to above.

Honda hrv
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossover_(automobile)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

The cortina and sierra where oceans apart in every aspect . Most of all styling . That aero shape the Sierra seemed to be a whole new thing back then, as far as I remember anyways. Had a big poster of one on my wall..

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

I know someone already mentioned it but the Citroen Traction Avant (1934) being the first production car to use a monocoque chassis is imo the biggest game changer of all. Cars pre 'traction avant' were constructed from a separate chassis and body but almost every car since has followed citroens lead.

800px-Tractionfr02.jpg

800px-Citroen_Traction_Avant_body-chassis_unit_%28Autocar_Handbook%2C_13th_ed%2C_1935%29.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

^^^
    And it had front wheel drive!

Biggest game changer in the 90's?
    Audi 80 TDI, that's where it started laaad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I think the Nissan Primera that was released in 2002 was good in its day, particularly the display screen was something new for the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

ryanf1 wrote: »
    I think the Nissan Primera that was released in 2002 was good in its day, particularly the display screen was something new for the time

In the right spec they were pretty slick bringing reversing cameras etc to mainstream cars but hardly a game changer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Audi Ur Quattro - first car really to introduce 4*4 grip and handling to the masses in a sports car.
    ( the Jensen FF certainly wasn't for the masses, and the Leone wasn't a sports car but more of a semi farm vehicle )

Lancia Delta HF Integrale - perfected it!

E30 M3 - started something only the green party want to stop

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

pablo128 wrote: »
    They were based on the 128 running gear though, which was a true benchsetter in its day. Introduced in 1969, it was the first car ever to have a transverse engine layout with unequal length driveshafts, a feature which is used on virtually every front wheel drive car to this day.

and man did they handle well ! as did the 127, jesus Fiat really did produce some belters :(

Advertisement