Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien2 / SAB / GM / ST7162 ** ENIGMA ** Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Zardoz wrote: »
    The Optimuss are more than 180 ,its 225 for the twin tuner or 254 for the triple.
    Same hardware as the Technomate TM Nano 3T Combo.
    Very similar spec wise to the Gigablue Quad and the Solo 2 .
    Look a really nice receiver.

Yh sorry I was pricing excluding vat mate as that's how I order but yhh they look really nice spec and I've seen the speed comparison to the alien 2 is unreal. I think it will be my next investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Looking at the OS3 now, looks very interesting.

superg wrote: »
    Looking at the OS3 now, looks very interesting.

Sure does mate :)

jayo26 wrote: »
    Sure does mate :)

It's the speed that gets me. thats why I was looking at Vu+ boxes. I have an impatient wife :D

superg wrote: »
    It's the speed that gets me. thats why I was looking at Vu+ boxes. I have an impatient wife :D

It looks like it be a lot more friendly towards addons and media players because of the amount of ram and the onboard storage I bigger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 soberasajudge

Zardoz wrote: »
    Provided they have been physically modded to run Enigma 2 then yes you can install Hyperion 4 or 4.5 on it.

Hi Zardos,
    First, apologies for asking about something not in the thread description but I've got the best info here. As far as I know, they have an OpenATV image on them, would I use FreshPots image or is that specific to the ST7162 boxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Hi Zardos,
    First, apologies for asking about something not in the thread description but I've got the best info here. As far as I know, they have an OpenATV image on them, would I use FreshPots image or is that specific to the ST7162 boxes?

I'm not overly familiar with that receiver but I know Openatav dont support it.
    Hyperion 4.5 or Openpli are probably your best bet.
    It looks like it be a lot more friendly towards addons and media players because of the amount of ram and the onboard storage I bigger.

Yeah the Ram makes the big difference ,not so much the cpu speed.
    I dont know why manufacturers skimp on Ram ,512MB of Ram should be the minimum in modern receivers ,its very cheap to buy.

If the Alien 2 had its Ram even doubled it would make all the difference in demanding tasks such as recording as in general usage the Alien is fast for its cpu speed of 450Mhz.

The Optimuss is Broadcom based so it means plugins dont have to be modified to run on it .
    As its Broadcom based though it does mean the picture quality is unlikely to be as good as that of the Alien .

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Anyone actually use TSMedia and have it working properly? I've noticed 99% of stuff doesn't actually play. The add on will install without any issues, will give lists of programme's etc but then nothing..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

zefer wrote: »
    Anyone actually use TSMedia and have it working properly? I've noticed 99% of stuff doesn't actually play. The add on will install without any issues, will give lists of programme's etc but then nothing..
    its plays ok but seems to skip when watching movies..1channel seems to be the best if u can get a good working link or ice films

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭championc

I'm now running with the Optimuss Tripple Box and it has much more grunt than the AA2. I'm running it with the installed OpenATV. As for the kitchen / bedroom option being asked about by many now, I'm running an Odroid with XBMC (you could use the new Raspberry Pi).

** The Ideal beginners image - everything you could possibly need all setup and working **
    ** See Post #2 of this thread or the Readme file in the download directory **

Champions OpenAR-P AA2/7162 Image Download Link - http://goo.gl/2DuVm0
    Champions OpenAR-P SAB Solo/8900 Image Download Link - http://goo.gl/up5tIu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

championc wrote: »
    I'm now running with the Optimuss Tripple Box and it has much more grunt than the AA2. I'm running it with the installed OpenATV. As for the kitchen / bedroom option being asked about by many now, I'm running an Odroid with XBMC (you could use the new Raspberry Pi).

** The Ideal beginners image - everything you could possibly need all setup and working **

Champions OpenAR-P AA2/7162 Image Download Link - http://goo.gl/2DuVm0
    Champions OpenAR-P SAB Solo/8900 Image Download Link - http://goo.gl/up5tIu

Does this mean you've retired from making AA2 backup images champ?

Have you tried to put together an image for the Optimuss or is it a little harder than making one for AA2?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

I'm now running with the Optimuss Tripple Box and it has much more grunt than the AA2. I'm running it with the installed OpenATV.

Running this box for the last couple of weeks also. Very happy with it I will have to say and has been running sweet since I set it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭thegreek

Hey Champ I was going to post up a new thread asking had anyone got one.

Any chance of a short review?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ac2000

Hi @Zardoz,

Have been using your Hyperion V4 back for a while now, have to say it's the best backup I've used, Thanks! Any chance you have a good working back of V4.5?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ac2000

ac2000 wrote: »
    Hi @Zardoz,

Have been using your Hyperion V4 back for a while now, have to say it's the best backup I've used, Thanks! Any chance you have a good working back of V4.5?

Thanks!

For alien 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

hi guys just wondering i like my itv1 itv2 and itv3 just under utv in the channels list.when autobouquets does its thing it removes the channels back to its orginal place.is there any way to leave the channels where i had them placed or do i have to live with it every time it updates.thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Zardoz

ac2000 wrote: »
    Hi @Zardoz,

Thanks!

Thanks ac2000

I will upload a backup of 4.5 in the next few days ,have been meaning to upload it before now but havent had a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

hi guys just wondering i like my itv1 itv2 and itv3 just under utv in the channels list.when autobouquets does its thing it removes the channels back to its orginal place.is there any way to leave the channels where i had them placed or do i have to live with it every time it updates.thanks.

Turn the scheduled update in autobouquets off.

Off the top of my head, menu>plugins>autobouquet, then press the menu button. Somewhere down the bottom of that window, there's an option to change when autobouquets runs using the arrow buttons on the remote.

thegreek wrote:
    Hey Champ I was going to post up a new thread asking had anyone got one.

There's already a thread for it in the satellite section.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

If your box supports open webif you can create your own bouquet and drop whatever channels you wish into it in whatever order suits . This bouquet will be at the bottom of the list and will never change even when your auto bouquets runs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

Hi guys,

I'm using the in built media player (EMC) on Hyperion 4.5 to play videos (avi/mkv/mp4) stored on my raspberry pi. I couldn't get upnp/dlna to work so i shared a drive from my pi with samba and mounted it in enigma.

The videos play fine this way, but regularly part of the picture will pixelate, leaving artifacts until the scene changes. The whole picture does not freeze and the sound plays clear throughout. This happens every time i play video files this way.

I have tried CIFS & NFS with the same real. I also used the Freeplayer plugin instead of EMC - same result.

Any tips for me to fix this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭techdiver

Cerdito wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm using the in built media player (EMC) on Hyperion 4.5 to play videos (avi/mkv/mp4) stored on my raspberry pi. I couldn't get upnp/dlna to work so i shared a drive from my pi with samba and mounted it in enigma.

The videos play fine this way, but regularly part of the picture will pixelate, leaving artifacts until the scene changes. The whole picture does not freeze and the sound plays clear throughout. This happens every time i play video files this way.

I have tried CIFS & NFS with the same real. I also used the Freeplayer plugin instead of EMC - same result.

Any tips for me to fix this?

Does it happen with all file or just "high bitrate" ones? Network speed could be an issue too. How have you the box connected?

Also, did you just install Media Centre from the PKT Blue Panel? Every time I try to do it it just hangs and doesn't install?

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

techdiver wrote:
    Does it happen with all file or just "high bitrate" ones? Network speed could be an issue too. How have you the box connected?

I have the box and pi connected via rj45 directly into the same upc modem. This happens with all files.

Another thing i tried was copying the video files directly to the hdd connected to the enigma box and playing then from there. Same pixelation and artifacts issue when played locally.

I am thinking this could be an issue with the codecs on the enigma box for avi/mkv/mp4. Files recorded from the tuners (ts) play fine off the same hdd with no pixelation /artifacts.

I did try to install media center as you mention, but it just hangs. Any other thoughts?

Cerdito wrote: »
    I have the box and pi connected via rj45 directly into the same upc modem. This happens with all files.

Another thing i tried was copying the video files directly to the hdd connected to the enigma box and playing then from there. Same pixelation and artifacts issue when played locally.

I am thinking this could be an issue with the codecs on the enigma box for avi/mkv/mp4. Files recorded from the tuners (ts) play fine off the same hdd with no pixelation /artifacts.

I did try to install media center as you mention, but it just hangs. Any other thoughts?

Ok, we can rule network issues so. It does sound like a screwed up codec. I'll test mine later to see if I see any pixelation like you see.

I have found that mine will play any file connected directly, but will not down sample DTS, so no sound through the TV, so is basically useless. I haven't tested it connected to a DTS capable amp yet as I have that setup in another room.

As you have seen the DLNA doesn't work. I even installed Dreamplex and followed the mounting instructions, but that doesn't work either. I can get file to play through a network mount, but to be honest I haven't actually watched anything for a prolonged period of time.

I come to the realization that the box (with enigma2) is only useful as a Tuner with ok PVR functionality. (I have found that it is completely unstable). Whilst I appreciate that enigma and the various plugins are open source, most of them are very unstable and cause multiple crashes and often lock up the box. Enigma is so fragile that often these app crashes completely screw up the entire OS and I have to re-flash again. I have re-flashed more times than I care to remember. The other morning for instance, after working perfectly the night before, the box just wouldn't respond, even after a hard boot and I had to re-flash. There is far too much maintenance involved. I would not recommend this box for anyone who is not very computer savvy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

techdiver wrote: »

I come to the realization that the box (with enigma2) is only useful as a Tuner with ok PVR functionality. (I have found that it is completely unstable). Whilst I appreciate that enigma and the various plugins are open source, most of them are very unstable and cause multiple crashes and often lock up the box. Enigma is so fragile that often these app crashes completely screw up the entire OS and I have to re-flash again. I have re-flashed more times than I care to remember. The other morning for instance, after working perfectly the night before, the box just wouldn't respond, even after a hard boot and I had to re-flash. There is far too much maintenance involved. I would not recommend this box for anyone who is not very computer savvy.

What image are you running? I'm running the same Hyperion 4 image for months without any problems, no lockups, no crashes. Have you an ext3 formatted usb drive attached?

What image are you running? I'm running the same Hyperion 4 image for months without any problems, no lockups, no crashes. Have you an ext3 formatted usb drive attached?

Ext4 attached. Had ext3 previously.

It works for the most part of you don't try and run any media plugins etc. Perhaps I expected too much from reading here. I'm just quite disappointed with the extra features such as dlna etc. Neither of the youtube apps work either. Trying to install anything through the PKTeam BluePanel hangs, e.g. When I select Media Center it informs that an installation is required, but when you attempt to install, it just pops up the installation dialog and does nothing.

I tried to run the TSmedia update but that caused the box to hang and then would not boot up again, so I had to re-flash.

There are various other examples also (typing on my phone).

It's a combination of the box lacking grunt and poorly written software with atrocious error handling that is causing issues (I appreciate that it is open source). I am just going to stick to using it for television exclusively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

techdiver wrote: »
    Ext4 attached. Had ext3 previously.

It works for the most part of you don't try and run any media plugins etc. Perhaps I expected too much from reading here. I'm just quite disappointed with the extra features such as dlna etc. Neither of the youtube apps work either. Trying to install anything through the PKTeam BluePanel hangs, e.g. When I select Media Center it informs that an installation is required, but when you attempt to install, it just pops up the installation dialog and does nothing.

I tried to run the TSmedia update but that caused the box to hang and then would not boot up again, so I had to re-flash.

There are various other examples also (typing on my phone).

It's a combination of the box lacking grunt and poorly written software with atrocious error handling that is causing issues (I appreciate that it is open source). I am just going to stick to using it for television exclusively.

Ah, I have a custom built HTPC so don't need any media playing options, my box is just a satbox, which it does quite well

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Griffinx

My Alien 3 box with Hyperion 4.5 has become sluggish responding to the remote. Is there a handy way to fix this rather than reimaging the box

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Imstuck

Deleting all epg data in hdd does the trick for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Griffinx

Imstuck wrote: »
    Deleting all epg data in hdd does the trick for me

Do you mean just the epg.dat file?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement