Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Germany to charge foreigners to use the Autobahn

Options
  • 09-07-2014 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭

A word of warning for anyone planning on driving to or through Germany, they are planning to put into law that all foreign cars will be subjected to a vignette.
    Germans will also pay but their motor tax is then discounted.
    10 days will be 10e
    2 months will be 20e and an annual pass is 100e.
    The new law could bring in an extra 2.5 billion euro to the bank balance.
    To be fair, the prices aren't that bad considering what they charge in Italy/France/Swiss etc.
    Pity a similar rule couldn't be imposed here :rolleyes:

Link: http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2014/0707/629107-germany-to-charge-foreign-drivers-on-autobahn/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Where and when do you pay?or is it a case of being caught?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,248 ✭✭✭✭endacl

kneemos wrote: »

It's an autobahn! They'll never catch ya!!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

"...the new tolls would yield €2.5 billion for Germany's public coffers over four years ..."

So about 625m a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

Was about time! Its common in all other countries, was surprised it took Germany so long. Thanks for that info!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I imagine you will be able to buy them in petrol stations next to the border.
    If it is like any other country which has vignettes then I imagine it is a case of being caught.
    Sometimes though they have random checks just after the border.
    I got caught in Austria without the vignette, thought I'd chance my arm as I was only there for a day. Got off the motorway and on the slip road was a police car checking. That was a 150e fine I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Surprised it's taken them so long.

They need to do the same here with the m50 toll so it captures all in the net.

I like that it's logical that it's discounted for Germans (can't imagine that ever happening here for anything).

Caliden wrote: »

I like that it's logical that it's discounted for Germans (can't imagine that ever happening here for anything).

If anything they would impose the losses on us :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Caliden wrote: »

It wouldnt work over here and frankly there is no need for it. We wouldnt get it discounted off our tax anyway, so it would mean that the whole country would end up paying a tax for motorways that only a percentage of the country use.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

djimi wrote: »
    It wouldnt work over here and frankly there is no need for it. We wouldnt get it discounted off our tax anyway, so it would mean that the whole country would end up paying a tax for motorways that only a percentage of the country use.

Hardly worth it either for the amount of foreign cars we get.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Hardly worth it either for the amount of foreign cars we get.

Thats what I mean. Okay the border counties would make a few quid and cars coming down from NI in general. But how many foreign cars would we get coming over from abroad, and would it be worth the effort of implementing the system? I doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

bear1 wrote: »
    ****e

LOL :pac:
    bear1 has just posted the following in the "Germany to charge foreigners to use the Autobahn" thread, in the Motors forum:

"
    ---Quote (Originally by Sobanek)---
    You're late, bear1.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057245117
    ---End Quote---
    No I'm not :p check out the time the OP started that thread and what I started mine :)
    I believe I'm early if anything :)"

Thought he started it at 11.25 this morning :)

Advertisement