Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Invicta watch

Options
  • 07-07-2014 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am planning to buy Invicta watch from ebay. Most of their watches are on 80% discount and costs about 100$.
    But before I buy, i have few question:
    Are they reliable watch?
    Is the gold plating on wrist link well enough for few years?
    Do I need to pay custom charges as the item is located in USA and will be shipped from USA?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'm pretty sure Ebay forces you to pay the customs charges up front these days. But yes, taxes are payable.

These watches are not on discount, they are just cheap watches, so don't think you are getting a deal of any sort, you're simply buying a cheap watch.

I wanted one for a while (a diver), and went with an Orient Mako instead for around €100, and it is a fantastic watch. Keeps accurate time, looks the business, automatic and it's well made. I'd look there if your budget allows.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

Having stood next to somebody at an airport a couple of weeks ago who was wearing an Invicta (it had this engraved in huge letters on the side of the case) I'd steer well clear. I'd also avoid a gold-plated bracelet of any sort - the bracelet will typically get more wear and dings than the watch head and will start looking scruffy after not too long. The Orient tip above is a good one and I'd also look at Seiko or Citizen in that sort of value category. If you can post a link to the model you're interested in we can perhaps suggest some alternatives but, to be honest, I can't see many watch enthusiasts having an interest in models with a GP bracelet.

In theory, if you buy a watch that is dispatched under the Ebay Global shipping programme, then customs fees should be accounted for. HOWEVER, there have been cases mentioned on other forums (fora?) of this not being the case and the buyer being stung. As you can imagine Ebay show no interest and it appears you may get stung twice as opposed to the non-program option where you have a chance it gets through without any extra charges. You can add to this that the charges set by Ebay are typically higher than what you would pay for a normal shipment and you can see that the only winner is Ebay. I refuse to have anything to do with a seller who uses the Global Shipping Programme - I haven't found a case yet where I've had to ask a seller if they will ship outside the scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Here is the link to the watch I liked.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Invicta-9224-Mens-Speedway-Black-Dial-Two-Tone-Steel-Quartz-Watch-/331213664910?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item4d1ddf728e

As you can see this seller is not showing the import duty as compared to other sellers who automatically charges import duty.

Well I wanted something flashy. Just checked Orient watches but didn't find anything eye catching.
    Any other make who makes better and durable watches with this type of design (2 tone stainless steel bracelet with large dial)? My budget is 100 euro.

My other preference is this one, but over my budget
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Invicta-Reserve-47mm-Subaqua-Noma-Limited-Edition-Swiss-Made-Chrono-Watch-/131236129103?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item1e8e48694f

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Well before you go considering buying this watch I would strongly suggest trying on a watch that is 47mm in diameter and 17mm thick, I would say most people wouldn't be able to pull that off.

You're right. I saw video on youtube and it looks too big!
    i think 40-43 mm is big enough for me
    Zagato wrote: »
    Well before you go considering buying this watch I would strongly suggest trying on a watch that is 47mm in diameter and 17mm thick, I would say most people wouldn't be able to pull that off.

• Advertisement

How about Michael Kors watches?

You seem to be after a fashion watch, which by definition the effort and price is based on how they look rather than how they function or their durability.
    I don't know that you are going to find a lot more help here as most people are interested in watch brands.
    In your price range, we would likely recomend Seiko/Orient/Citizen or a Russian watch.
    Regarding Michael Kors, it is a fashion brand so if you like the look of it buy it.

My main recommendation would be as above, consider trying a watch on before buying it.

Great links you provided there.

Are Accurist watches any better than Invicta? in terms gold plating on the wrist links?

Like this Seiko watch but again worried if the plating would come off in few months, what do you reckon?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seiko-Chronograph-Stainless-Bracelet-SSB107P1/dp/B00FJRSES4/ref=pd_sbs_watches_18?ie=UTF8&refRID=1H1RM5PT87Y8QYE0EXDA

And to be honest, the Invicta watches has the most eye-catching look and price is good as well, but again if the plating is going to come off in few months then no point of buying it.
    blindsider wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

Like this Seiko watch but again worried if the plating would come off in few months, what do you reckon?

You could get that Seiko from Creation Watches for €83 from their website (I have too few posts to post links). You may or may not get hit for tax when it arrives - will still work out cheaper than Amazon.

• Advertisement

And what about the quality of this Seiko watch? How's the gold plating?
    rwbug wrote: »
    You could get that Seiko from Creation Watches for €83 from their website (I have too few posts to post links). You may or may not get hit for tax when it arrives - will still work out cheaper than Amazon.

Seiko are generally very sturdy. How the gold plating turns out depends on how you wear the watch. If you look after it. I have an 18yr old gold plated seiko watch (which was worn all through my late teenage years while I did a fair bit of manual work) and the gold plating is pretty much all gone around the bezel and lugs where it would have gotten a lot of heavy rubs/scratches/knocks but looks perfect around the side of the case.

If you look after the watch it will stay looking pretty new. Ask Cyrus for tips on this, he seems pretty good at it ;)

The bigger the watch is the more likely you are to knock it off things (-but don't get a small watch if you want it to be flashy)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭blindsider

IMO, Seiko gold-plating will be as good/better than any other for the price.

Also, how long do you expect to have the watch as your daily? 2 yrs...maybe 3...then you'll want sth else. €100 is not huge money to spend - you only get so much bang for your buck.

The Seiko watch you liked is not OTT with gold-plating - it'll survive quite well I imagine.

Go buy it!

If the gold plating remain for 2 years, then I am happy enough :) Usually I keep my things nicely and avoid dents, etc.

Still can't resist to go for Invicta, their models are looking way better. Do you think the gold plating would last a year on Invicta? any comments?

If the gold plating remain for 2 years, then I am happy enough :) Usually I keep my things nicely and avoid dents, etc.

Still can't resist to go for Invicta, their models are looking way better. Do you think the gold plating would last a year on Invicta? any comments?

I'm sure the gold plating probably would last a year on the Invicta, I think the thing is that if you had both watches in your hands, you may not be as keen on the Invicta - just may not be as solid/well finished

I see the point now. It would be best if they have both watches in a local store so I can have the real feel.
    Well saving more money now to increase my budget and get a more solid nice looking watch.
    Zagato wrote: »
    I'm sure the gold plating probably would last a year on the Invicta, I think the thing is that if you had both watches in your hands, you may not be as keen on the Invicta - just may not be as solid/well finished

• Registered Users Posts: 19,945 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

to be honest the gold plating on any watch at that price point is going to be thin id have thought. you would be better avoiding gold plating if you are concerned about it wearing off, as invariably it will.

the invicta you like has more than a hint of rolex daytona knock off about it

Correct. The rolex daytona is the design i love. The only difference is that 2 digits from Rolex's price is missing in Invicta's price :D
    I am looking for silver plated versions now, I suppose the silver colour would stay almost the same colour as steel if it comes off.
    Cyrus wrote: »
    to be honest the gold plating on any watch at that price point is going to be thin id have thought. you would be better avoiding gold plating if you are concerned about it wearing off, as invariably it will.

the invicta you like has more than a hint of rolex daytona knock off about it

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

I don't think you'll get a silver-plated (or white gold?) one - they'll just have the steel centre links polished rather than brushed - also known as PCLs. That will mean that nothing will wear off - but they do mark more easily.

Thats a good point you mentioned there. I suppose polished links will be prone for scratches.
    Do you think brushed links will stay like new for a longer time?:confused:
    Too many things to consider before getting a watch now..:rolleyes:
    I don't think you'll get a silver-plated (or white gold?) one - they'll just have the steel centre links polished rather than brushed - also known as PCLs. That will mean that nothing will wear off - but they do mark more easily.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

Pretty much all the Invictas on Amazon are <80% from original crazy prices, many of their bezels don't even rotate nor are illumatable.

Some Seikos are triple gold plated, occasionally you can get a nice gold plated Seiko pilot (with alarm) with slight discount.

Here's the MSE 80%/M/quartz/Analoge discount finder link anyways for the Azm, shows Incs from £52gbp:

This is a unusual piece (xl worldtimer w/quick set alarm!), But 'tis never on discount so 149....

Hmm, so far didnt read in comments that Invictas bezel dont rotate..

Could you please show me the link for triple gold plates Seiko?

XL worldtmer is too big for my wrist.

Thank you
    Joe Doe wrote: »
    Pretty much all the Invictas on Amazon are <80% from original crazy prices, many of their bezels don't even rotate nor are illumatable.

Some Seikos are triple gold plated, occasionally you can get a nice gold plated Seiko pilot (with alarm) with slight discount.

Here's the MSE 80%/M/quartz/Analoge discount finder link anyways for the Azm, shows Incs from £52gbp:

This is a unusual piece (xl worldtimer w/quick set alarm!), But 'tis never on discount so 149....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

If you read a few of the buyers reviews, esp those ones that look like replicas of the fancy Lumox type ones.

Seiko, again read the reviews and specs, generally a good reputable brand.
    Other nice watch is the Citizen 8700's: gold/perpetual/3dials/alarms... and good reliable brand...

Correct. The rolex daytona is the design i love. The only difference is that 2 digits from Rolex's price is missing in Invicta's price :D

If I wanted a Daytona homage I would look at the Alpha Watch website.

Exactly

Was just going to post this

http://www.alpha-watch.com/details.php?myid=432

Manual wind though which may not suit

by manual wind do you mean i have to wind the rotator every now and then by myself?

Cyrus wrote: »
    Exactly

Was just going to post this

http://www.alpha-watch.com/details.php?myid=432

Manual wind though which may not suit

by manual wind do you mean i have to wind the rotator every now and then by myself?

basically you would need to wind the crown every second day

Was reminded of this thread by posts on wus discussing this Invicta. I guess it is kinda different, and that is the nicest thing to say about it.

imgur.com/Rq8u2au

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

oh my

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,682 ✭✭✭flutered

try some of the us fourms, you will get goog bang for your buck, plus the exchange rate is in your favour.

Advertisement