Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Otter or Mink?

Options
  • 07-07-2014 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭

http://omg.wthax.org/85U3fE.jpg

Caught this glimpse on my Wildlife Cam.... Any experts out there?

TT

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Mink! No doubt!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,919 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

out of curiosity, how can you tell?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

I'm not so sure, I've captured both frequently on my trail cams and I wouldn't rule out otter. The whiskers are more otter-like than mink, but I don't think we can see enough of the animal to be sure either way.

When I look at that picture, I just see mink! Shape of the head, the look of the wet coat! Mink and Otter don't really look that similar, especially in the head region!

I'm still not convinced. Below are some pics from my trail cams of both Mink and Otter.

Otter:
    CA5A9D2EC76C4AF0802FDCDDC49C541E-0000318105-0003429237-00460L-8E57854705514897994EFB58403DE605.png

Mink:
    8BF0BD0CC37E475D80AEAAEF0FFC0676-0000318105-0003429236-00460L-AEADC8253A1E48A688ED21CF1B76A9C5.png

Don't have a shot of a wet mink but the otters coat looks very similar to that in the OP's photo - I'd imagine a wet mink coat looks pretty much the same too. Pity there is nothing for scale in the OP's pic, the Otter is a much larger animal.

Top Tec: Both Mink and Otters are territorial, if you leave the camera set up in the same place you may get more shots that could better ID it. Let us know if you have any luck.

• Advertisement

I don't think the head is broad enough to be an Otter, and that boulder in the background would have to be very big if indeed it was an Otter!

The problem with getting more pictures is that both Mink and Otter share territory's, so you can't be sure its the same animal in each shot!

I'm sure we'll get some more opinions as the day goes on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Appreciate the responses..

These are the two other pics taken - didn't include them as I didn't think they added anything... I have left them in their original size.

7MmZhQ.jpg

52CyCE.jpg

TT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bonedigger

I agree with Half-Cocked here and believe it's an Otter.The thickness of the fur and the shape of the ears clinches it for me!
    Just saw your other images and it definitely looks like an Otter.

While I think it is an Otter, I wouldn't be betting a large sum of money on it!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,201 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

My gut reaction was otter too, but I also would not be betting on it.

• Advertisement

While I think it is an Otter, I wouldn't be betting a large sum of money on it!

If you look at the very last image it shows the back and tail,and the tail looks too broad to be that of a mink.

See how large the ferns look to the animal in the last photo! Seems to be a small animal IMO!

The fur colour screams Otter to me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Otter definitely

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Its an otter

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

I think with 100% certainty that it might be an otter but would be reluctant to bet more than €2.50 on it.

I also think this thread is an otter disgrace. I will see if I can get Luke Mink Flanagan to get involved; he'll sort it out quick as a polecat up yer granny's dresser.

Desmo wrote: »
    I also think this thread is an otter disgrace.

That is awful.....:rolleyes:

Many thanks to all... I think its about 6 - 1 in favour or it being an otter. If it is then it has pushed their known territory up the Ox mountains a few miles further than has been previously thought.

I was interested, as in a planning application for a wind farm up on the mountain it was claimed there were no otters within a good few miles of the site and I was sure I had seen one a year ago a lot closer than that.

The cam is now out in the same spot long term, (I hope to win over Eddie B!), the same place as I got this pic...

[IMG]http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/<a href=http://omg.wthax.org/7CMB2v.jpg target=_blank>[/img]7CMB2v_thumb.jpg7CMB2v_thumb.jpg

Cheers

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

I say otter also

TopTec wrote: »
    The cam is now out in the same spot long term,
    [IMG]http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/<a href=http://omg.wthax.org/7CMB2v.jpg target=_blank>[/img]7CMB2v_thumb.jpg7CMB2v_thumb.jpg

Cheers

TT

Keep us all posted, would love to see more photos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

^^^^ this. Keep the pictures coming, excellent stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,641 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Looks otterish to me too, broader and heavier build than the mink. But not conclusive, I think - need a better full-body shot to be absolutely certain.
    Bear in mind that both otter and mink wander considerable distances overland. It might be territorial OR transient.

Bear in mind? Boom boom.

Went through the last 3 days of pictures and the first one was this -

73gJDE_thumb.jpg

Does this help confirm whether it is an otter or not.... Have I won over EddyB? Surprised at the time as well.. just after midday.

TT

TopTec wrote: »
    Went through the last 3 days of pictures and the first one was this -

73gJDE_thumb.jpg

Does this help confirm whether it is an otter or not.... Have I won over EddyB? Surprised at the time as well.. just after midday.

TT

That looks like an Otter to me!

When I seen the first picture I was sure it was a mink I was looking at! But have to admit it does look more like an Otter with each new photo!

I deserve a good back hander for that one! :-)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

In the first photo, I thought immediately that it's an otter. In the middle set of photos, I thought otter. And then in that last photo, I thought otter!
    :-)
    Nailing my colours to the mast here, but for me, it's an otter without any doubt!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

For crying out loud, it's a feckin' OTTER ! Now that Eddie B is on side can we all move on ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Vivisectus

I would guess otter too due to the white whiskers and the shape of the head. But in the other shots it looks small for an otter... tough one!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,201 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm starting to lean towards Duck-billed Platypus myself :p

Advertisement