Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail ticket problem: urgent response needed

Options
  • 05-07-2014 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi I was unable to purchase a ticket at the station. When the attendant came t take my ticket I told him my situation and offered him the money for the ticket. He refused me, told me he woudn't give me the fine and said the lads at the station might give me the fine. What do I do? I'm going from edgeworthstown to dublin connolly. Need a reply quickly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Get off before Dublin and buy a cheap ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 KingOfTheSouth

can't/ Just landing in connolly

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Edgeworthstown doesn't have TVMS, explain in the station and you'll get a ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

You didn't purchase a ticket for your journey in fairness. Hopefully you get them on a good day and they are feeling generous and they will just let you pay the fare and not the fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

just say you threw it in the bin? Say you were ignorant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 KingOfTheSouth

They have an automated system and an office. Man in office was about to send train away and I was unable to get to the automated machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

So you were late?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Provided you don't look and are not dress like a 3rd level student up to Dublin for the weekend, try and argue your case in a neutral tone and fashion. Just maybe the Irish rail staff areu are talking too in not in too much of a Ryanair mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Unfortunately IE now operate a national penalty fares area, so that means that if you don't have a ticket you are liable for a fine.

Plead your case and you may be fortunate.

Hop on the next Dart out.. Most stations have gates open..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

NoDrama wrote: »
    Hop on the next Dart out.. Most stations have gates open..

That might work actually. Just go one stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Basically you had the option of buying a ticket but was late for your train so didnt bother and you wanted a way of not paying a fine?.
    Its strange that the checker didnt take for the fare or issue a fine.

What is the upshot king of the south ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Hi I was unable to purchase a ticket at the station. When the attendant came t take my ticket I told him my situation and offered him the money for the ticket. He refused me, told me he woudn't give me the fine and said the lads at the station might give me the fine. What do I do? I'm going from edgeworthstown to dublin connolly. Need a reply quickly.
    Because the booking office was unattended and you did not have the opportunity to buy your ticket there you are entitled to board the train and buy your ticket on the train.

The staff member on the train should have fined you or sold you a ticket, By doing neither he/she has allowed you to travel for free so the staff at the station can not legally fine you for having no ticket.

OP is'nt bothered with this thread and our mingin' responses anymore. Don't y'all know he's gonna ring into Joe Duffy tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭con___manx1

next time take a shot of the broken machine with your phone as evedince

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

next time take a shot of the broken machine with your phone as evedince

Or book the ticket online with the same phone you are using now!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Armelodie wrote: »
    Or book the ticket online with the same phone you are using now!

Is there still a 2h cut-off time before departure for online bookings? That was annoying the last time I wanted to take a trip at short notice. Also the lack of clarity around if/how you can change the return date on an online ticket (which isn't an issue with a station issued ticket) puts a lot of people off booking online. I agree that there are great deals to be had online but I'm lost about why they made it a less flexible product than a station issued ticket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

How ridiculous is this whole situation?! You'd never get that sort of carry on in the UK - if you get on a train without a ticket, you should still be able to buy one onboard. It happens me quite a bit here in the Uk, where I've turned up just as the train was departing, and there has not once been a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

discus wrote: »
    How ridiculous is this whole situation?! You'd never get that sort of carry on in the UK - if you get on a train without a ticket, you should still be able to buy one onboard. It happens me quite a bit here in the Uk, where I've turned up just as the train was departing, and there has not once been a problem.

Different countries have different rules. In the UK they also charge extortionate costs for last minute IC tickets. Should we copy that as well?

• Advertisement

Maybe on certain trains in the UK in more rural areas, but get on any long distance service or virtually all commuter services without a ticket and you will end up paying for it dearly in the form of the most expensive fare, and a penalty thrown in!

lxflyer wrote: »
    Maybe on certain trains in the UK in more rural areas, but get on any long distance service or virtually all commuter services without a ticket and you will end up paying for it dearly in the form of the most expensive fare, and a penalty thrown in!

Negative on that, lxflyer. I've done that from London to Scotland, all over southern england from Plymouth-Exeter to Scotland, small lines around exeter... Never an issue. More than once I've been told to buy it once I get to the station, I've done that and nothing more was said. I've never had to buy any extortionate tickets either, but then again I travel at super-off peak times usually.

markpb wrote: »
    Different countries have different rules. In the UK they also charge extortionate costs for last minute IC tickets. Should we copy that as well?

Why would we copy their ****test rules? Surely, we could just copy their better rules?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

That's because the UK has properly working ticket machines or permit-to-travel machines at all but the tiniest stations; and ticket bye laws that understand what a ticket machine is at that.

Negative on that, lxflyer. I've done that from London to Scotland, all over southern england from Plymouth-Exeter to Scotland, small lines around exeter... Never an issue. More than once I've been told to buy it once I get to the station, I've done that and nothing more was said. I've never had to buy any extortionate tickets either, but then again I travel at super-off peak times usually.

I can assure you that normal practice is that you would be charged the full fare and possibly a penalty. You were rather fortunate.

It does depend, however, on where you board the train. But I have on more than one occasion witnessed people being issued with full fares and a penalty.

http://www.passengerfocus.org.uk/faqs/ticket-questions/can-i-board-a-train-if-the-ticket-office-queue-is-too-long
    If you do get on the train without having bought a ticket and there were facilities to pay, or you did not get permission from station staff to get on without a ticket, you may be prosecuted for fare evasion, charged the full fare for the journey or issued with a penalty fare.

I suggest that you also read:
    http://www.passengerfocus.org.uk/faqs/ticket-inspection-penalties/what-can-happen-if-i-am-on-a-train-without-a-valid-ticket

Examples:
    East Midlands Trains - Any station with a red dot: http://www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk/Global/banners/New%20Network%20Map%20A4%20poster.pdf (Basically the entire mainline)

Greater Anglia - https://www.ircas.co.uk/docs/GA_Penalty_Fares_Leaflet.pdf (Basically all London routes)

London Midland - http://www.londonmidland.com/download/9800.7/revised-penalty-fares-booklet/ (Most of the network)

First Great Western
    East - http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/~/media/PDF/TicketsAndTrainTimes/BuyBeforeYouBoard/PenaltyFares-map-A.ashx
    Central - http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/~/media/PDF/TicketsAndTrainTimes/BuyBeforeYouBoard/PenaltFares-map-B.ashx
    West - http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/~/media/PDF/TicketsAndTrainTimes/BuyBeforeYouBoard/PenaltyFares-map-C.ashx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

I think something like Belgium could work here. Over there you can get on without a ticket but if you don't immediately seek the ticket checker you get a fine (i.e uoi have to go to him not the other way). You buy a ticket for the normal price if a station is unmanned or closed, or at night. Otherwise you pay a €2 surcharge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Copyerselveson

No you would not get a ticket on board, you'd get a penalty fare. You can't travel without a ticket here in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

markpb wrote: »
    Is there still a 2h cut-off time before departure for online bookings? That was annoying the last time I wanted to take a trip at short notice. Also the lack of clarity around if/how you can change the return date on an online ticket (which isn't an issue with a station issued ticket) puts a lot of people off booking online. I agree that there are great deals to be had online but I'm lost about why they made it a less flexible product than a station issued ticket.

90 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭may06

can't/ Just landing in connolly

You should have being able to purchase ticket in Connolly then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

may06 wrote: »
    You should have being able to purchase ticket in Connolly then?

The ticket office machines at Connolly are outside the barrier. To purchase at the station you'd have to leave through the gates, puurchase a ticket and then enter through the gates again. Having a ticket machine on the station side would allow for passengers who genuinely have good reason to travel without a ticket to purchase one; however it is too open to abuse by those who had good chance to purchase same.

Advertisement