Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No seatbelt, points & fine

Options
  • 05-07-2014 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭

got pulled yesterday (had my belt on at this stage) and the guard said he saw me 5mins beforehand with no belt, said il be gettin a 60e fine an 2 points , where do i stand here or will i just have to take it on the chin ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Exactly the same thing happened me, except it was a week before Christmas, and me being a broke wee apprentice at the time, I put the fine on the "long finger" and ended up forgetting all about it. I never heard a word about it again, no summons, nothing.

Doesn't mean you'll be so lucky though. :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

pudzey101 wrote: »
    got pulled yesterday (had my belt on at this stage) and the guard said he saw me 5mins beforehand with no belt, said il be gettin a 60e fine an 2 points , where do i stand here or will i just have to take it on the chin ???

Are you suggesting he lied? Why would he do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Exactly the same thing happened me, except it was a week before Christmas, and me being a broke wee apprentice at the time, I put the fine on the "long finger" and ended up forgetting all about it. I never heard a word about it again, no summons, nothing.

Doesn't mean you'll be so lucky though. :D

no court appearance ? i drove away without putting the belt on me but DID put it on after pulling out of my parking spot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Hard luck there OP. You'll probably just have to suck it up and take the hit.

You could chance leaving it like Bunny did but it could come back to bite you in the Aras.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Are you suggesting he lied? Why would he do that?

Bored probably.

• Advertisement

He is a well known hard guard that would do people for the smallest of things to be honest , just wrote it down in his notebook anyway never asked for my driving license :/ few people i know are still waiting for fines+points for things that happend months ago :)

There are Guards and then there are Guards...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

no court appearance ? i drove away without putting the belt on me but DID put it on after pulling out of my parking spot.

Pay the fine and accept the points then. You are guilty of an offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

Did you reverse out of the parking space?
    You don't need belt on for reversing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

He saw you where/how exactly with no belt on 5 minutes earlier? Considering the only way that he could see it for sure would be to peer through the window as he stands beside the car, the question should be asked a) why didnt he pull you over the first time, and b) could he provide credible proof/story to back up his claim in front of a judge?

• Advertisement

djimi wrote: »
    He saw you where/how exactly with no belt on 5 minutes earlier? Considering the only way that he could see it for sure would be to peer through the window as he stands beside the car, the question should be asked a) why didnt he pull you over the first time, and b) could he provide credible proof/story to back up his claim in front of a judge?

He wouldn't need to. He's a Garda that's enough to be believed

yeah i think myself no way out of it , he passed me going up the street he said he could see the silver buckle of the belt beside me meaning it wasnt on . but when he did eventually turn around and pulled along side me i HAD it on :/

Pay the fine and accept the points then. You are guilty of an offence.

Oh will you give over. He was hardly going to crash and end up through the windscreen coming out of a parking space. Trying to get a good look around if you're pulling out is impossible with a belt on

You are guilty of an offence.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

Clippity clip.....here they come lol

I sit into my car and automatically put the belt on. That's before I start the ignition. If I forgot like the op, I would pay the fine and take the points and would remember that every time I got in my car.

I sit into my car and automatically put the belt on. That's before I start the ignition. If I forgot like the op, I would pay the fine and take the points and would remember that every time I got in my car.

You don't think its a bit of overkill from the Guards, doing a guy just pulling out of a car park? Aren't there more important things they could be doing, like catching real criminals? (Its a Cliche I know :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

GrayFox208 wrote: »
    Oh will you give over. He was hardly going to crash and end up through the windscreen coming out of a parking space. Trying to get a good look around if you're pulling out is impossible with a belt on

I can see pretty well even with a race harness on me. If you don't wear a seat belt automatically your frankly an idiot. You don't have to be doing anywhere near the speed people think you do before a seat belt can help. Just because your conducting a low speed manourve, doesn't mean the clown that hits you isn't doing 50km/h+

'I can't see with a seat belt on' is probably the worst excuse I've ever heard. A standard seat doesn't restrict your neck or upper body to the point where you can't see all around you, if it does, then I worry about your overall ability to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,209 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

ironclaw wrote: »
    'I can't see with a seat belt on' is probably the worst excuse I've ever heard.

It also helps identify the idiots that can't use their mirrors properly.

'I can't see with a seat belt on' is probably the worst excuse I've ever heard. A standard seat doesn't restrict your neck or upper body to the point where you can't see all around you, if it does, then I worry about your overall ability to drive.

A seatbelt does impact some peoples ability to look out of the rear window when attempting to reverse

For this reason they're specifically exempted while reversing

http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=1724&Lang=1

Are there any exemptions to wearing a seatbelt?
    Yes, the following exemptions apply:–

A person occupying a seat which is not fitted with a seat belt
    A person wearing a disabled person’s belt
    The holder of a certificate from a Registered Medical Practitioner stating that it is inadvisable on medical grounds to wear a safety belt
    The driver of a vehicle while reversing the vehicle
    Driving test examiner conducting a test
    Driving Instructor
    Member of An Garda Síochána or Defence Forces in the course of his/her duty

Anyhow as far as the OP is concerned it doesn't appear he was reversing.

The Garda saw him driving without belt on and stopped him as soon as was practical.

@OP The Guard stopped you and told you why he stopped you, if you didn't dispute his version of events there and then, you've pretty much admitted to the offence. Best hope is that he's not bothered to do the paperwork.

• Advertisement

I can see pretty well even with a race harness on me. If you don't wear a seat belt automatically your frankly an idiot. You don't have to be doing anywhere near the speed people think you do before a seat belt can help. Just because your conducting a low speed manourve, doesn't mean the clown that hits you isn't doing 50km/h+

Pulling out of a fukking car park? Are you for real????

I bet you never cross the road unless the green man is showing either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Jesus. wrote: »
    Pulling out of a fukking car park? Are you for real????

I bet you never cross the road unless the green man is showing either...

We all know a accidents don't happen pulling out of parking spaces... Don't we? ;)

Black and white issue. Looking behind you isn't impossible with a seat belt on either.

Hang 'em high is my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Q: So why isn't there a massive volume of incidents where people are crashing into things around them because their seatbelt makes it impossible for them to get good look around despite the vast majority of drivers I've seen drive off being already belted up?

A: The inertia reel of your seatbelt is designed to give you sufficient freedom of movement to lean forward or look over your shoulder to check around you, so if its functioning properly then there is no reason why a seatbelt would prevent you from having good visibility.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    The inertia reel of your seatbelt is designed to give you sufficient freedom of movement to lean forward or look over your shoulder to check around you, so if its functioning properly then there is no reason why a seatbelt would prevent you from having good visibility.

Older cars don't have inertia reels.

Yes most people with most current belts can turn suficently, but not all, hence the exception in the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

If he truthfully saw you with your belt off then you'll have to take this one on the chin Im afraid:(

Black and white issue...

Hang 'em high is my view.

Which just about sums up the Boards.ie/Motors attitude to every Mickey Mouse, lack of common sense issue regarding driving and the police. It still amazes me, this servile bullsh*t attitude being so prevalent on here. It really is quite incredible. The infallible Government and its police force can do no wrong.

How about a farmer up a boreen with grass in the middle of the road, moves his friends car out of his driveway to get his car out to go collect his daughter or someone and Mr Plod happens to be cycling past and notices the chap hadn't his safety belt on while swapping the cars around and promptly issues him with points and a fine. "Hang 'em high" because everything is "black and white", eh?

Pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Older cars don't have inertia reels.

Yes most people with most current belts can turn suficently, but not all, hence the exception in the law.
    Inertia reels are pretty much standard in front seats on cars since the 80's.
    And I agree, some people have difficulties turning around to look behind them before/while reversing which is fine, but the post I replied to said seatbelts make it impossible to check around you, which is blatantly false, as (as you said yourself) most people get on fine.

Jesus. wrote: »
    ...How about a farmer up a boreen with grass in the middle of the road, moves his friends car out of his driveway to get his car out to go collect his daughter or someone and Mr Plod happens to be cycling past and notices the chap hadn't his safety belt on while swapping the cars around and promptly issues him with points and a fine. "Hang 'em high" because everything is "black and white", eh?

Pathetic

Hang him high too! :D

• Advertisement

:D

Advertisement