Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tethering Goats

Options
  • 05-07-2014 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi does anyone have any experience with tethering goats?
    I was wondering what different systems there are and the pros and cons?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Hi.would not recommend tethering a goat.they tangle themselves around anything possible.a horse on a tether that gets caught up will tend to stop moving,while a goat will keep going until it's on its back with all its feet knotted together.they need shelter from the rain (goats hate getting wet) and shade from the sun.but if you tether them near a tree,they'll have the rope wrapped around it electric fence might be better.if its possible leave the goat loose once its used to you.I fence the veg plot off,leave the goats loose,and they stay close to home and cine when they're called.failing that,maybe a running tether?long rope or cable stretched between two points-ring around the rope,with short lead running from that to goats collar.the points at the end of the cable must be set so the goat can't tangle around them(I.e.2 trees wouldn't do).maybe an open fronted shed that the goat can get in,but doesn't have enough rope in her collar to get round and tangle herself.maybe a ring in a smooth wall at the other end.have her in sight of the house so until she gets used to it.shelter is very important,as us water,good strong leather collar(not nylon)and swivels,where the lead connects ti the goat,and where the lead connects to the running tether.sorry about the block of text-in the phone,and don't know how ti Di paragraphs.good luck with the goat:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

Pat; I'd advise ye to Very seriously reconsider why ye should ever even want to bring a goat into ye life. Seriously.

Don't get me wrong. I've kept them. Occupying creatures.

But, no ..... If ye asking how to tether one? Bad sign. Suggests a lack of understanding of the daily, far reaching and financially, not to mention nerve, ruinous effects owning goats can bring.

As Zoe said; Try to tie them? They'll tie themselves. Or break the rig and embark on a tour of destruction.

Have ye ever watched a goat walk under a full power electric fence, Pat? Fur and skin burning and smoking. They'll do it till their back is black and cooked. They don't care. You will. Ye neighbours will. Goat won't.

How about a couple of donkeys ....? Just don't let a goat near them. Get them into trouble.

Advertisement