Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick and easy healthy breakfasts

Options
  • 04-07-2014 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

So with all this warm weather its just too hot for the usual porridge. And everywhere I look, I'm being told that breakfast cereals of all shapes and sizes are pure evil in the form of sugar and to a lesser degree, salt. Bread also gets a bad rap, but lets face it, its next to impossible to avoid bread completely, but for the sake of being healthy lets try to avoid bread also. So I'm looking for ideas for easy, quick alternatives for a healthy breakfast.

So far I've been recommended:

- eggs, in all forms
    - fruit and yogurt

This morning I had 2 plain eggs scrambled with knob of butter and salt and pepper. It was nice enough and kept me full right through to lunch.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

Good bread,butter and jams, tomato and cucumber, olives, halloumi and cheeses, fruits, eggs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

I have never understood why we are only allowed to eat the meat of a pig or grains in various forms for breakfast.

Eat what ever you like - leftovers from the night before - I used to eat a lot of fish for breakfast but at the moment I am very keen on a cabbage salad I found on a vegan website.

Fruit, eggs, steak, ham and cheese, the list is endless, what do you like to eat best?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

There's lots of inspiration in the What Did You Have For Breakfast Thread in the Cooking & Recipes forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 gecko81

Animord wrote: »

Fruit, eggs, steak, ham and cheese, the list is endless, what do you like to eat best?

Truth is, I've never really been a big breakfast person and therefore never made a huge effort, so just breads or cereal.

Although I know breads or cereal are not the worst thing in the world, I just feel like I could make breakfast more interesting and hopefully more healthy while I'm at it.

I'm thinking perhaps I can prepare lots of chopped fresh fruit in advance and have with yogurt along with some oatmeal and/or seeds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

I'd suggest making up a batch of your own muesli using whatever oats / flakes / nuts / seeds / dried fruit you like best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Personal fav at the moment is a nice bread, toasted, with Almond butter spread over it and sliced banana on top. Yum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,874 ✭✭✭✭anewme

assembled in 2 minutes......some proper Greek Youghurt (Liberte or Fage) spooned over a mandarin orange (broke up into segments) bit of melon, 3 or 4 hazelnuts or walnuts (crumbled) and drizzled with a spoonful of honey...........................divine.................and so healthy

can actually be any fruits but these are my favourites at the moment

anewme wrote: »
    assembled in 2 minutes......some proper Greek Youghurt (Liberte or Fage) spooned over a mandarin orange (broke up into segments) bit of melon, 3 or 4 hazelnuts or walnuts (crumbled) and drizzled with a spoonful of honey...........................divine.................and so healthy

can actually be any fruits but these are my favourites at the moment

Sounds delish!! Definitely on the list of things to try. Do u chop up your fruit to last a few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

A cup of any yogurt (whatever you like, or have) with a good spoonful of muesli or granola stirred into it, plus a dollop of mashed or chopped fruit, or raisins, or even jam to sweeten it up a little if needed.
    Light, wholesome and sustaining.

or Soup, that's another one that isn't too heavy for a morning tummy. I don't think bread is a crime, so I would dip a few fingers of toast in it. Or you could just have a few noodles or leftover rice in it, to make it filling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I'm s porridge gal as well, and it's defo too hot for it now.

My brekkie of choice at the moment is wholemeal toast with an avocado or a poached egg.

I have a piece of fruit as well... Apple or something.

Never really got into the yoghurt fruit thing. Find those far too sweet for me in the morning.

• Advertisement

katemarch wrote: »
    A cup of any yogurt (whatever you like, or have) with a good spoonful of muesli or granola stirred into it, plus a dollop of mashed or chopped fruit, or raisins, or even jam to sweeten it up a little if needed.
    Light, wholesome and sustaining.

or Soup, that's another one that isn't too heavy for a morning tummy. I don't think bread is a crime, so I would dip a few fingers of toast in it. Or you could just have a few noodles or leftover rice in it, to make it filling.

Tried the fruit and nuts and oats with yogurt this morning. Was very nice and filling but def think I need to prep this brekkie in advance!!

pwurple wrote: »
    I'm s porridge gal as well, and it's defo too hot for it now.

My brekkie of choice at the moment is wholemeal toast with an avocado or a poached egg.

I have a piece of fruit as well... Apple or something.

Never really got into the yoghurt fruit thing. Find those far too sweet for me in the morning.

Going to try avocado tomorrow morning. Do you just slice it or mash?? Ever have the egg with the avacado?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

gecko81 wrote: »
    Going to try avocado tomorrow morning. Do you just slice it or mash?? Ever have the egg with the avacado?

However you like.
    I like it eaten from the half she'll with a teaspoon. Vinaigrette in the hollow from the stone is optional.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,161 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Try putting a fistful of salt on a baking tray, halfing an avocado, taking out the stone, cracking an egg into the hollow, place the avocado on the salt so it holds the egg in place in the holoow, season and a few drops of Tabasco, oven at 180 and in 7.5 mins you're good to go

duploelabs wrote: »
    Try putting a fistful of salt on a baking tray, halfing an avocado, taking out the stone, cracking an egg into the hollow, place the avocado on the salt so it holds the egg in place in the holoow, season and a few drops of Tabasco, oven at 180 and in 7.5 mins you're good to go

Sounds delish! Brekkie tomorrow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

Have poridge with cold milk, add nuts, seeds, fruit, yoghurt, whatever you fancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

gecko81 wrote: »

I slice it or eat with a spoon. Bit of pepper and a squeeze of lemon or lime if I'm feeling fancy!

Never tried it with an egg, does sound tasty, but possibly a bit heavy for me in the morning. Might do me as a lunch?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Tom75

Healthy breakfast?
    What time do you eat breakfast?
    How many calories do you need to the next meal (lunch, dinner, supper or snack - no, no crisps, no biscuit and no chips and gravy), how many meals a day you eat, at what time.
    Tasty yes, but healthy for one person, can be deadly for other person if used for long period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The OP is looking for ideas on different foods for breakfast, not a lecture on diet & nutrition. If you have ideas for healthy options for breakfast feel free to pop them in this thread.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

I sometimes make this to have as a post-run evening quick snack (before dinner... I get very greedy on run days!)
    http://www.theburlapbag.com/2013/02/basic-raw-oats-recipe/
    Have yet to do it for breakfast but I love that there are so many possibilities for add-ins!

• Advertisement

1. Cottage cheese with spring onion and radish on country bread. Black tea or milk, with honey.

2. Country bread, butter, tomato, spring onion, salt, pepper.

3. Country bread, butter, cucumber, salt.

4. Muesli

5. Scrambled eggs on bacon, bread (on the end - try add some cheese and if you like few slices of tomato and mix it on pan)

6. Roll, butter, cheese (continental not cheddar) add. - Continental mean Dutch

7. Greek salad

Tom75 wrote: »
    (continental not cheddar)

Why?:confused:
    There are as many rubbish, mass produced "Continental" cheeses as there are rubbish cheddars.
    There are also as many fantastic cheddars from Ireland and England as there are fine "Continental" cheeses.

Aside: Why did cheddar never manage to get an EU Geographical Indication? (like Parmesan, Champagne or the Waterford Bla)

It's not about cheddar, it's about proposition for breakfast. I've been trying cheddar from good few stores, and I found it very greasy and taste like a soap. But that's only my opinion, compare to Dutch cheeses (creamy,milky, gently), which I prefer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dutch_cheeses

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cheeses

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheese

Cheddar Geographical Indication - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_cheeses

• Registered Users Posts: 11,161 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

what stores did you go to?

Tom75 wrote: »

While that states that West Country Farmhouse Cheddar is protected, I can make a cheese in Cork and call it Cheddar. I can't make a cheese in Cork and call it Parmasen. I wonder why Cheddar let their name be so freely used?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭fat laura

A favourite filling breakie for me at the minute is Herby Salmon filled omlettes. (3 eggs, loads chopped up dill, basil and parsley, onion, smoked salmon)

Banana pancakes are good too (2 eggs and a banana blitzed and cooked like pancakes).

A nice quick breakie is 2 ricecakes with peanut butter and chopped up banana.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Woodbrook80

I'm looking for clean breakfast recipes thanks
    Would natural yoghurt be considered clean thx

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

What do you mean by 'clean'?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm looking for clean breakfast recipes thanks
    Would natural yoghurt be considered clean thx

I see you've started a thread in the Nutrition & Diet forum, and that's where you're more likely to get useful information if you're following the 'clean eating' plan. We don't concern ourselves with such matters here - we're lovers of food in general :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I love porridge but not in the Summer, so I either make porridge bread or AMerican pancakes.

Porridge bread is a tub of natural yoghurt, a tub of porridge, a spoon of baking powder, a spoon of oil and half a tub made up of linsead / seeds / nuts fruit etc mix and bake in a loaf tin for 1 hour.

We eat it sliced with loads of butter, or I make french bread with it if its a few days old.

I make the AMerican pancakes from the cooking club and have those with loads of toppings esp lemon curd.

Advertisement