Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord entering premises without permission.

Options
  • 02-07-2014 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭

I rent a house on my own and I think my landlord is letting himself in to look around or whatever when I'm not in. Is there anything I can do or any way of proving this? I haven't asked him directly as I'm presuming he will deny it as it's a breach of the lease agreement.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

set up a webcam to record your front door when you are out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Mr_Red wrote: »
    set up a webcam to record your front door when you are out

Yes, I thought of a motion activated camera, but I don't know anything about them really. I want something that will record or take a pic discreetly without him knowing. Webcams usually light up when they're recording don't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

Yes, I thought of a motion activated camera, but I don't know anything about them really. I want something that will record or take a pic discreetly without him knowing. Webcams usually light up when they're recording don't they?

even better getting the reaction of his face lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,432 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Tape over the light?

Good free software here. http://www.ispyconnect.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

A simple small piece of paper or matchstick caught in the door on the outside that will fall only if it's opened might be sufficient if he's the only other person who has a key ?

Or one of these ;)

TSC116W.jpg

Ken

Thanks for the links.
    ZENER wrote: »
    A simple small piece of paper or matchstick caught in the door on the outside that will fall only if it's opened might be sufficient if he's the only other person who has a key ?...Ken

As far as i know he's the only one with a key. Why I'm suspicious is that the door to the box room that I don't use needs to be really slammed hard to close it properly, otherwise it pops back open again when the front door is closed. I've had it slammed shut for weeks but today when I came home the door was ajar.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

As far as i know he's the only one with a key. Why I'm suspicious is that the door to the box room that I don't use needs to be really slammed hard to close it properly, otherwise it pops back open again when the front door is closed. I've had it slammed shut for weeks but today when I came home the door was ajar.

Temperature shift?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I've had it slammed shut for weeks but today when I came home the door was ajar.
    Anything in there missing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Check he hasn't beaten you to it on the hidden camera front...

pm1977x wrote: »
    Check he hasn't beaten you to it on the hidden camera front...

lol

No nothing missing afaik, he'd be looking to see if I'd moved anyone in. Don't think it's a temperature change - I've lived here over a year and slamming the door closed has always kept it closed - the latch catches fully with the striker plate, otherwise closing it normally the latch only partly catches on the striker plate and it appears as if the door is closed properly but it isn't. Anything is possible I suppose. I'd like to be able to set up some sort of camera to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Setup Eircom Phonewatch or similar monitored alarm system. Be unavailable when they try to contact you to check if it's a false alarm and leave him to explain to the gardai why he's somewhere he has no legal right to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭pointelle

can you change the alarm code , things can get pretty creepy with landlords in my experience or you can change the lock yourself you know it doesnt matter if you're meant to give him a key because if he/she isn't sneaking about they won't know, know what I mean?

pointelle wrote: »
    can you change the alarm code , things can get pretty creepy with landlords in my experience or you can change the lock yourself you know it doesnt matter if you're meant to give him a key because if he/she isn't sneaking about they won't know, know what I mean?

I can't get into the manage menu of the alarm so I can't change the alarm code but changing the lock is an idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I can't get into the manage menu of the alarm so I can't change the alarm code but changing the lock is an idea.

Most leases have clauses prohibiting changing or adding more locks on doors.

Your best option is a cheap network IP camera that you can monitor from anywhere using a phone app and also set it up to email you when it senses motion. Most will attach several still photos to the emails. Easy enough to set up. Just follow the instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

This has happened in the last two houses I have rented. Landlords letting themselves in to get mail or store items in a spare room. They dont see it as a problem.

Maybe take the route of approaching the landlord to see if anyone else has keys? Tell him you noticed things werent as you left them and you're worried about your personal safety. He'll either admit what he did or not, but either way it might put him off wandering around the house uninvited.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭pointelle

Yes it's neat as how would they know as they would knock to call on you. It's completely your right to feel secure sometimes you just have to do things yourself. Hope you have peace of mind soon I know how creeper out you must feel. Peace! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Say it to him that you dont want him creeping around when you're not there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

chopper6 wrote: »
    Say it to him that you dont want him creeping around when you're not there.

I'm sure you mean to say it to him that it's illegal for him to be on the premises during your tenancy without your agreement?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

athtrasna wrote: »
    I'm sure you mean to say it to him that it's illegal for him to be on the premises during your tenancy without your agreement?

He'll probably threaten to raise the rent or evict the OP though.

Which would also be illegal.

Does he come regularly on certain days? Maybe wait wearing a towel for him, and when he does let himself in, screech and go full-blown-bunny-boiler mode? I'm betting he won't come in again then?
    athtrasna wrote: »
    Which would also be illegal.
    Probably, but it'll be his word against hers when he does a rent review.

the_syco wrote: »
    Probably, but it'll be his word against hers when he does a rent review.

Only allowed one a year and must be in line with market prices

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

If all the windows are shut when you close the hall door might be possible that it's opening the door inside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Where is the door into the attic? And what is in the attic? It's not unknown for landlords to use attics to store stuff (even when there are tenants there).

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mummy5

do you live in an apartment or a house? change your locks, switch the back door lock with the front door. I did it in my last house as I was concerned about the same thing with my landlord ;)

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

mummy5 wrote: »
    do you live in an apartment or a house? change your locks, switch the back door lock with the front door. I did it in my last house as I was concerned about the same thing with my landlord ;)

Changing the locks without the landlords permission is not allowed as per the RTA 2004. Please do not come on here and give advice that contravenes that act.

Thanks

/Moderator

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Same keys work just in opposite doors ?! Why not ?

Ken

Advertisement